• 1 year later...
On 7/31/2021 at 1:00 PM, Cabernet said:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

And, yet, I need new front tire. And "should" bleed the brakes, check/change wheel bearings, maybe change the brake pads, and otherwise have to remove and retorque the axle and caliper mounts.

"What could possibly go wrong ?" :luigi:  :whistle:

Waddington might say, "About 400 miles of road time will tell the tale."

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Good maintenance prevents failures. There wouldn't be an airline industry otherwise. Took them a long time to figure it out.

I used to maintain emergency backup power systems. There was zero tolerance for failure.

My personal stuff does fail. There is no way I'm going to spend the time and money needed to guarantee I'll ride home.

Just pulled a nail out of my tire. Now I'm packing spare plugs but I don't have a pump. It never ends.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Art said:

Good maintenance prevents failures. There wouldn't be an airline industry otherwise. Took them a long time to figure it out.

I used to maintain emergency backup power systems. There was zero tolerance for failure.

My personal stuff does fail. There is no way I'm going to spend the time and money needed to guarantee I'll ride home.

Just pulled a nail out of my tire. Now I'm packing spare plugs but I don't have a pump. It never ends.

I think failure will largely remain unpredictable. A few weeks ago, the main bearing of the coolant pump failed on my 911. This is after I completely overhauled the car, doing preventative maintenance on everything that may have required change.

The coolant pump was declared in good state but nevertheless failed after I took the car out from the dealership.

It occurred to me that the coolant pump failed because of that major maintenance that necessitated taking the engine down.

Murphy's law is always dependable. If it works....

• Like 2

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Doesn't matter how many times I read that, I just can't.

The lure of Doccs promise of a better running bike. Might as well be selling drugs.

Ya, I did read the good advice about hooking up a battery tender when messing with Guzzidiag. But it will just be a couple minutes.

Today I'm buying a battery.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
On 6/23/2023 at 1:00 PM, Art said:

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Doesn't matter how many times I read that, I just can't.

The lure of Doccs promise of a better running bike. Might as well be selling drugs.

Ya, I did read the good advice about hooking up a battery tender when messing with Guzzidiag. But it will just be a couple minutes.

Today I'm buying a battery.

I've fallen for that, myself . . .  :whistle:

If your battery is a Hawker Odyssey PC545 (OEM of the V11 OE Spark 500), they can often be conditioned rather than replaced:

[edit/ June 26, 2023: Moving battery related posts to the correct thread.]

• Like 2