neutral blues ('03 V11 Sport)

ronkom

Wisdom of the forum needed. So, I installed my spiffy new Chuck/Scud shift spring. Put the cover back on the tranny, buttoned her up & rode the bike in for state inspection. All 6 gears are there, but the N light never went out...never even flickered.  OK, have the cover back off, see how the N switch works, on when it drops into the hole on the back of the big shift gear, and off when riding on the back of the gear.  Checked the switch, works as it's supposed to. What gives?  The parts book shows no spacers on the shafts the shift gears ride on, but there's about  .185"   under the snap ring holding the shift gears in place, leaving them free to move  in & out. Is that normal?  Are the shift forks engaging the slots on the backs of the shift gears supposed to take up all that slack?  Apparently the gap between the N switch and the gear is enough that the switch doesn't reach it's "off" position even though it's riding on the back of the gear as designed. 42K on the bike could the end of the switch be worn down? 

Thanks,

Ronkom

I thought the neutral switch was not so much a switch as a ground. When the ground is made the light goes on and when the ground is not made the light goes off. If you disconnect the wire from the neutral "switch" does the light go off? If it does, check for ground at the switch. If it doesn't, you have ground somewhere else.

There is a little gasket between the switch and the case where it screws in. Are there any additional washers or spacers in there too? If so, maybe remove them?

When wire is grounded light comes on as it's supposed to, so that part's good. When spring loaded tip of the switch is fully extended (as when it drops into hole on the back of the gear) it grounds internally (checked w/meter). So switch is working . N light worked properly before I changed out shift spring, trying to understand what I did wrong. There is a fairly thick (.038") aluminum seal washer under the head of the N switch. I'll see if I have something thinner.

ronkom  

When it worked last spring it should do so now as well. I think the play you noticed might be the problem. Check for any forgotten spacers or such, although I think there aren't too many in there in this position.

Perscheid_1.png

Shit, one part left, again!

Put the cover back on w/a thinner seal washer (.025" vs .038") on the N switch. N light is working properly......on the table. We'll see what happens after I put the oil back in & road test it.

Thanks for the replies,

ronkom 

16 hours ago, GuzziMoto said:

I thought the neutral switch was not so much a switch as a ground. When the ground is made the light goes on and when the ground is not made the light goes off. If you disconnect the wire from the neutral "switch" does the light go off? If it does, check for ground at the switch. If it doesn't, you have ground somewhere else.

That  is how these switches work . 0 pressure- closed . Min pressure - open .. Closed position grounds and the light is on . Min pressure opens and the light goes off .