Jump to content
Mikko

I need some assistance to find out exactly what the PO’s did to my baby

Recommended Posts

As with any used purchase, there’s always a few special surprises waiting.. this bike is no exception. After dutifully reading the forums I purchased all new relays and circuit breakers.

When I went to install them I find that someone(s) has been rather industrious. I see a extra 30amp fuse and what appears to be a ancillary fuse block. Seems to me the fuel pump that was replaced by the goof balls at Flying Tiger Motorcycles is just sitting there being secured by gravity and ignorance.

I did find a PCIII buried in the back of the little cubby hole so that’s kinda cool.  I was wondering why it ran so nice with the airbox lid being modified.

Docc.. view at your own discretion!! 

 

It seems to me that this pump isn’t set up correctly

1425675E-7092-4D9B-9674-224B70CBD576_zps

Is this fuse block OEM or RNE (Red Neck Engineering) ? 

23A8F37E-EA1E-4F8A-976D-EA9F5A9D884D_zps

Circuit Breakers snuggled in perfectly. 

05E8E8B4-0585-4429-87FF-0A82E325EFA1_zps

New upgraded Relays reporting for duty

90047BEC-3987-41D1-9494-DB6223AB717A_zps

Here is a 30amp in-line fuse just hanging out...

B77FF303-99A1-407F-817D-623C55256B25_zps

I did do at least one minor upgrade, installed these very thick aluminum guards.

FC21F844-7346-4DCA-BFB9-084B3DF2AD21_zps

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My favourite is the Sulf Defense unit :)

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That 30a fuse may be for a battery tender, trace it out and see if there is a plug on the end. As for the fuel pump, um, ya, that's not cool.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I looked, but now I'm a little queezy. :blink:  I need a beer . . .

Perhaps not everything that has been done is ungood, yet it needs to be deciphered.  :nerd:

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did someone mention an upgraded electrical system   :rasta:   :not:

cheers tom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sitting on the fuel pump wouldn't be fun if it developed a leak.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where did those head guards come from?  Not sure they would work as good as the type that mounts to 4 rocker cover bolts, those are engineered to break away so all the force doesn't go into the motor.

 

IMG_0576-M.jpg

 

cant beat a good old crash bar tho.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fotoguzzi said:

Where did those head guards come from?  Not sure they would work as good as the type that mounts to 4 rocker cover bolts, those are engineered to break away so all the force doesn't go into the motor.

 

IMG_0576-M.jpg

 

cant beat a good old crash bar tho.

 

 

The ones shown in mikkos image has 4 head mount locations and a separate piece bolted to that. Certainly no worse than the one in your image. No matter what, all the force is going into the engine one way or another not that that is really an issue. As long as you have a 4 mount guard and its not a massive impact then the Guzzi lump can handle it. Its the 2 mount bolt types that wreck the head as the second hand Daytona head sitting on my bench can testify to. 

Ciao

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MartyNZ said:

Sitting on the fuel pump wouldn't be fun if it developed a leak.

I sent those jokers a link to Docc’s tank off list and told them to check the bike and to let me know if anything is wrong. They charged me enough money to just change 2 tires and F/F all fluids. 

I was fine with having the bike looked over and problems addressed. It seems apparent that FLYING TIGER MOTORCYCLES employ incompetent mechanics.

It’ll be fine, I’ll get this sorted out now that she’s home. I just wanted to ask about the fuel pump. You know what the real Shit & Giggles part is? 

The bike was brought to them to have the pump replaced. My question is: Did they install it wherever the hell Jethro thought it should go? Or did they simply install it where the old one was because a previous employee of RNE inc. thought it should be there?  

And finally, being a so called “Moto Guzzi Dealer” if the pump was already relocated, why wouldn’t they install it in the correct position?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, fotoguzzi said:

Where did those head guards come from?

Vintage stash of Guzzi parts I found. I’ve not seen these style guards with the replaceable plastic end pieces. Not like I want to dump it over, but I thought these would be much more helpful if something were to happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This Flying Tiger mob seem to be at the root of a bloke with a 1400 Eldorado who has been having issues over on Wildguzzi. We know he's got a buggered demand sensor, diagnostics are showing he's got a buggered demand sensor, buggered demand sensors are a known problem but despite all this and it throwing up the PO155 'Buggered demand sensor' code they keep just disconnecting shit, reconnecting it again, clearing the error and pushing him out the door! They even had the almost brand new bike for TWO MONTHS and then sent him away saying they 'Thought' they had fixed it. Needless to say they haven't! The crazy thing is it's a NEW bike! All they have to do is submit a warranty claim and get and fit the new part and do the handle and throttle learning procedures! It should of been fixed in a week!

 

No wonder Guzzi are a fucking 'Niche Market'! With workshops like that you'd have to be barmy to own one!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow... when I was there they were working on that bike. It caught my eye because the new Eldo is very striking. I thought it odd that they had a new bike back there. 

They had the brain trust all over it trying to figure out something. I didn’t bother to find out as I was pissed while waiting for the battery to be charged.

I wouldn’t suggest bringing any vehicle that uses a IC Engine to FTM....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, pete roper said:

This Flying Tiger mob seem to be at the root of a bloke with a 1400 Eldorado who has been having issues over on Wildguzzi. We know he's got a buggered demand sensor, diagnostics are showing he's got a buggered demand sensor, buggered demand sensors are a known problem but despite all this and it throwing up the PO155 'Buggered demand sensor' code they keep just disconnecting shit, reconnecting it again, clearing the error and pushing him out the door! They even had the almost brand new bike for TWO MONTHS and then sent him away saying they 'Thought' they had fixed it. Needless to say they haven't! The crazy thing is it's a NEW bike! All they have to do is submit a warranty claim and get and fit the new part and do the handle and throttle learning procedures! It should of been fixed in a week!

 

No wonder Guzzi are a fucking 'Niche Market'! With workshops like that you'd have to be barmy to own one!

no shit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Mikko said:

Wow... when I was there they were working on that bike. It caught my eye because the new Eldo is very striking. I thought it odd that they had a new bike back there. 

They had the brain trust all over it trying to figure out something. I didn’t bother to find out as I was pissed while waiting for the battery to be charged.

I wouldn’t suggest bringing any vehicle that uses a IC Engine to FTM....

Like Pete said, they've had the damn thing for a month, didn't put the part on the bike after all this and then returned it back to Kevin.  Kevin wants to take it to the rally in Wisconsin.  Apparently Piaggio has thrown these defective parts on a half dozen different models and it's all over the 'net.

Funny thing is Kev owns a bevy of bikes.  He got rid of his Cal 1400 Tourer because it ran doggy and then was knocked out about how much better the El Do ran (?).  I was surprised when he said that his Cal 14 didn't run any better than his Electra Glide.  So I am guessing he hasn't the best experience with Guzzis.  I have no idea what was wrong with his Cali.

I am so off on new Guzzis that I ended up getting a Ducati.  I suppose I took the arsenic instead of the cyanide?  At least it's prettier and faster.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had high hopes for Guzzi when Aprillia bought them. Ivano Beggio loved the company and was trying. Shit happens, and now a scooter company owns it and sadly Ivano passed away last year.

Building any sort of car/bike/plane/rocket requires a tremendous investment and things can go sideways in a hurry.

I’ve not been impressed with the new line up. I’m not into cruisers or small displacement bikes.

The V11 really is the last of the original era. I won’t make the same mistake of selling this one. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...