Mikko

I need some assistance to find out exactly what the PO’s did to my baby

So can anyone help me figure out where this pump should go? I’m going to order some heat shielding and when I’m home this weekend I’m going to pull the tank and see if the bracket is even there.

Agree Mikko.  I think Chuck said the spineframes were the last of the Guzzis.

I think they have all the tools to build a nice new LeMans but haven't and may not ever.  And if they do, will they get it right or make the customers fix it out the door?

2 hours ago, Mikko said:

So can anyone help me figure out where this pump should go? I’m going to order some heat shielding and when I’m home this weekend I’m going to pull the tank and see if the bracket is even there.

The pump goes under the spine, hangs down off two bolts that go through the left side.. The thing is, they are prone to vapor lock from the heat of the engine, so as savage as this is, the reasoning behind moving it isn't totally insane.

• Like 1

On an 2002, its in front just above the oil radiator, but there is also a spot under the fuel tank for it. Some had a pump inside the tank as well

My, now Chuck's, Scura is a 2002 from memory and I remember from having to pull the tank in the forecourt of a gas station on a very dodgy Indian reservation in I think New Mexico that the fuel pump on it is under the spine. It was a long time ago mind.:D

Pete

Those external fuel pumps got moved around by MotoGuzzi while we complained about vapor lock and such. Early pumps hung off the left side of the spine frame above the left cylinder. Some were exchanged with the fuel filter on top of the Spine, and others were mounted forward, above the oil cooler.

Here is my early Sport fuel pump hanging off the lower left side of the Spine . . .

IMG_9288.jpg

Hmm.. I’m not a super fan of external pumps and chin pads. I’m thinking this might be a good reason to go with the newer style internal pump-n-pad less tank. That would allow me to retro-fit a Enots/Aston style filler cap. Nod to the past!

what do you guys think??

Why not. Besides that the pump below the seat looks a bit ragged and homeless it's not a too bad position for it. Well away from any hot parts.

Do you know the guy in your Avatar, Mikko? Or do you just fancy his Che attitude :)

I’m a degenerate street racer/hot rod type. The Avatar is actually Dennis Hopper in character from the movie King Of The Mountain a semi correct look at the guys who raced out in California. Hopper plays a real life guy who lived and raced a pick up truck and a bad ass corvette. 

And Harry Hamlin plays the other real life guy who actually raced a factory Porsche RSR on the mountain, although in the movie he drives a POS fake speedster :/

I watched that movie when I was a kid and loved it. Wanted to do that too! And I sorta did.. Michigan certainly lacks those cool mountains but there’s plenty of twisty parts out in the sticks..

In some ways, the V11’s are like the Moto Guzzi Hot Rod.. I cant tell you how happy I am to have another one again. Problems or not!

I have some very exciting plans!

• Like 2

Main actress "Deborah Van Valkenburgh" - guess I'll have a look, too :)

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Mikko said:

go with the newer style internal pump-n-pad less tank.

what do you guys think??

I did it on my '01. Relatively easy mod, very worthwhile imho. Beside solving the potential overheating pump issue, it tidies up the area under the tank and between the heads very nicely. 

3 hours ago, luhbo said:

Main actress "Deborah Van Valkenburgh" - guess I'll have a look, too :)

You made me look! ;)

deborah-van-valkenburgh-wallpaper.jpg

She also played the nasty street urchin in the cult classic “The Warriors”

23 hours ago, sp838 said:

I did it on my '01. Relatively easy mod, very worthwhile imho. Beside solving the potential overheating pump issue, it tidies up the area under the tank and between the heads very nicely. 

I just picked up a tank and pump for $570 shipped..seems like a decent score. I'll have my stock tank w/ carbon pad and new external pump available if anyone is interested.

new%20fuel%20tank_zpsdlv5jo56.jpg

fuel%20pump_zpsvdkrwkzo.jpg