Mikko

I need some assistance to find out exactly what the PO’s did to my baby

Check out the nipples once it has arrived. People break them, don't get spares, then put it on ebay

That carbon fiber chin pad is like rocking horse shit, to quote the intrepid Mr. Roper. If you are planning on keeping this bike forever, you might rethink getting rid of that tank and pad in case you want to do a "restoration" several years in the future. :huh2:

good idea...your decals are en route and i bought a shift extender so no need to send yours :)

10 hours ago, Mikko said:

I just picked up a tank and pump for $570 shipped..seems like a decent score. I'll have my stock tank w/ carbon pad and new external pump available if anyone is interested.

new%20fuel%20tank_zpsdlv5jo56.jpg

fuel%20pump_zpsvdkrwkzo.jpg

Hmmm, decent score at $570 shipped, not sure about that. It obviously needs painting looking at its condition so that and decals will cost you around $600 I'd estimate. It wont fit on your bike without some mount modification and has it had any swelling issues?

The idea is good and I have tanks at home to achieve the same outcome with regards to neater plumbing etc but I do like the chin pad.

Hard to say.

Ciao 

No mounting changes necessary. All lines up. I ganged the wires for the pump and fuel level together into one 4 pin deutsch connector. Much nicer than the oem weathepack style connectors. Another thing I did was to buy a couple goodridge quick disconnects and use those on the fuel send and return lines. That was so that I don't have to bother with the Guzzi quick disconnects that are a real pain in the ass to get on and off, and if you break the plastic spigots on the pump while wrestling with them, you have to replace the whole farking thing. I do recommend having the tank lined with epoxy before painting. 

• Like 1

The Idea is to upgrade from the external pump to what i consider a much better set up. My plan is to have the bike set up properly before sending it to Stradafab. The tank will be reproduced in carbon fiber so the paint is a non issue.  Seeing as how it's very hard to find a tank and pump without paying $2,500 for brand new is how i assumed it was a decent score. Once they are done using it to make the cf one, then i can recoup a portion of the money by reselling it. I have started my tank off checklist as per Docc's list and i ran out of daylight today. Few pics...

IMG_1416_zpscqggtdea.jpg

IMG_1415_zpsqwqgg0jh.jpg

IMG_1417_zps9wvczufx.jpg

IMG_1418_zpshvz9xa7e.jpg

What a mess...How sad someone(s) let this poor girl be abused to this degree.  Slowly she's going to get better!  Sunday will start with a big cup of coffee and i'm going to start setting shit straight :luigi:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sp838 said:

No mounting changes necessary. All lines up. I ganged the wires for the pump and fuel level together into one 4 pin deutsch connector. Much nicer than the oem weathepack style connectors. Another thing I did was to buy a couple goodridge quick disconnects and use those on the fuel send and return lines. That was so that I don't have to bother with the Guzzi quick disconnects that are a real pain in the ass to get on and off, and if you break the plastic spigots on the pump while wrestling with them, you have to replace the whole farking thing. I do recommend having the tank lined with epoxy before painting. 

Unless you have a short framed version then the rear mount doesnt align with the subfamed mount.

Ciao

1 hour ago, Lucky Phil said:

Unless you have a short framed version then the rear mount doesnt align with the subfamed mount.

Ciao

That seems backwards as the red frame was the short frame correct? The black frames are the long frames so this internal pump is applicable to 2003+ or am i missing something?

1 hour ago, Mikko said:

That seems backwards as the red frame was the short frame correct? The black frames are the long frames so this internal pump is applicable to 2003+ or am i missing something?

Thats correct but if you try and fit the later internal pump tank to the short frame bikes the rear mount doesnt line up. I have 3 newer tanks 1 brand new and 2 used. None of them fit my green framed bike. Rear subframe mounting will need to be modified.

Ciao 

yea, this internal pump / tank is going on my Scura so we should be all set

Mine is an '01 red frame silver "Sport Naked" with the vestigial mounts for the gearbox plate, same as docc's, and the '03 internal pump tank lined up fine to the rear mount with no mods.

before:

gallery_9560_164_1998869.jpg

after:

gallery_9560_164_143715.jpg

Yes, I will eventually have it painted. Or maybe I'll buy one of Mikko's cf tanks once they are in production. Mikko, maybe that will help bring the cost down if only a little?

• Like 1

I like this bike, have seen the photos before, the dual headlight setup is super cool, how did you do it?

• Thanks 1

The dual headlights are from a Triumph Speed Triple. I had a mounting bracket made that attaches to the mounts on our steering tube, and the headlight bracket from the Triumph attaches to that. Milled from a chunk of 6061.

I only learned later that the man who designed our bikes, Luciano Marabese, also designed the Speed Triple, so I consider this a complete victory haha

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sp838 said:

Or maybe I'll buy one of Mikko's cf tanks once they are in production. Mikko, maybe that will help bring the cost down if only a little?

it might be? i am paying the total cost to have the mold made. as you can certainly understand, nobody in the aftermarket is offering one. that's why i thought i may as well update the to the latest in tank design and they can build it. The preliminary estimate to build one from scratch is $5,000 I don't know how much of that is building the mold etc. I would think once the mold is made, subsequent tanks shouldn't cost that much.

Yeah, making the mold is where all the money is. How are they making it?