Mikko

I need some assistance to find out exactly what the PO’s did to my baby

Aren't alloy tanks still available? I've experience with carbon tanks on racing Ducatis and aluminium is far preferable esp on road bikes. My 1198 track bike has an aluminium tank, and I dont think the factories use carbon tanks anymore. Aluminium deforms and carbon breaks/cracks on impact and you have fuel going everywhere.

Dont know whats wrong with the mounts on my bike with the later tanks then. From memory of 5 or so years ago when I did the trial fitments the rear mount was around a hole out. I suppose I could force the rear mount bolt in but thats not really my thing.

Ciao 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

Aren't alloy tanks still available? I've experience with carbon tanks on racing Ducatis and aluminium is far preferable esp on road bikes. My 1198 track bike has an aluminium tank, and I dont think the factories use carbon tanks anymore. Aluminium deforms and carbon breaks/cracks on impact and you have fuel going everywhere.

Dont know whats wrong with the mounts on my bike with the later tanks then. From memory of 5 or so years ago when I did the trial fitments the rear mount was around a hole out. I suppose I could force the rear mount bolt in but thats not really my thing.

Ciao 

Could that just be common Nylon tank swell, then?

25 minutes ago, docc said:

Could that just be common Nylon tank swell, then?

Dont think so docc as all were the same and one was brand new and never seen fuel. I also have an unused green tank as well and measured the length from the fwd mounts to the rear. Its difficult to measure but I seem to recall that one was a fraction longer. Having said all that the extra frame length seems to have been added forward of the breather fitting and therefore in front of the tank mounts.

Ciao

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Chuck said:

Yeah, making the mold is where all the money is. How are they making it?

I don't know exactly. Randy knows these people and he's working with them directly. From what i understand they are a group of people from F1, Aerospace, Military and Composite Manufacturing. They started building precision Carbon fiber parts and will build to spec.

Just be sitting down when you are told how much. JC Whitney this ain't...sample pic's of a Ducati tank:

B57D2125-4C52-4E0B-8A24-7A28162A9924_zps

F016173B-33F0-418B-B709-C13FC33B6B49_zps

8958D85F-A200-4837-9E35-5227627F16A7_zps

10 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Ciao 

Yep, that's true. Carbon is very prone to cracking, shatters to knife sharp peaces and so on. That's why it's allowed officially only in combination with Aramid fibers.

Consider investing in Omega or Rolex or Sinn maybe, one for every single day of the week if you like.

On 8/5/2019 at 4:47 AM, gstallons said:

Well...… I'm sitting down 

Randy said it would be something like $5,000 but that includes building the mold. 

On 8/5/2019 at 6:25 AM, luhbo said:

Yep, that's true. Carbon is very prone to cracking, shatters to knife sharp peaces and so on. That's why it's allowed officially only in combination with Aramid fibers.

Consider investing in Omega or Rolex or Sinn maybe, one for every single day of the week if you like.

My racing days have been arbitrary ended for me due to previous injuries and health. Besides, I’m getting old and it doesn’t hold the excitement like it used to. When your racing against guys 20+ years your junior there seems to be a attitude and it’s turned me off.

In this application, my design goals are to reduce weight through modern materials while staying true to the bike. 

No radical remake.. just picking up and taking it further then MG could or even would have.

Personally, I love looking at carbon fiber. I think it’s beautiful. Since this bike won’t be tracked, I’m not too worried about it. 

When it’s finished, it’ll be appraised and the appropriate insurance purchased in case of mishap. 

3 hours ago, Mikko said:

Randy said it would be something like $5,000 but that includes building the mold. 

If they charge you for building the mold then you should own it. From there maybe you can work a deal with them or others to recover your outlay. I've had this happen before with custom made boots. The bootmaker wants to charge you full costs for making the last then HE keeps it, sheeze.

I've also built fuel tank and bodywork molds for an Italian framed endurance racer (Motoplast) with a Japanese engine back in the 80's then built the tank and bodywork. Its a fair amount of work for the tank mold. Personally I'd just outlay around half the cost for a custom aluminium tank. 

Ciao

Personally I'd just outlay around half the cost for a custom aluminium tank. 

Me, too.. fuel and carbon fibre gives me the willies. :huh2:

Yea... I agree with you that the mold should belong to me. Problem is how many people in the world would want a V11 tank? Aside from me...

maybe a couple? Hmmm...these guys are high end types and this won’t be some cheap Chi-Com crap. There are methods available to prevent spillage in case of a accident.

I will speak with them about it. At 47, trust me.. my death wishes have all been fulfilled and I’m not planning on riding around on top of a 5 gallon bomb...

5k ain’t no joke...thankfully it’s the most expensive part. The tail and fairing etc is considerably less expensive.