Fuse 4 on Scura

Chuck

What causes fuse 4 to blow over time? Looking back through my records, I see that it failed when I was out in SoCal several years ago. It just failed again while cranking. Out in SoCal, it failed when coasting to a stop.. <scratching head>

This one won't be so easy, I'm thinkin.. from maintenance log:

4-1-15 30560 Suddenly quit out in the mountains. Replaced a 15 amp fuse.

This is the fuse that blew Thursday. Maybe I'll just buy a couple more? At 4 years per fuse, that might just do it.. :oldgit:;)

That seems rather un-pilot-like . . . :huh:

When was the last time the ignition switch was inspected for broken wires, cleaned and restored?

• Haha 1

•  
    1 hour ago, docc said:

That seems rather un-pilot-like . . . :huh:

When was the last time the ignition switch was inspected for broken wires, cleaned and restored?

Yeah, you're right, Docc. I'll overhaul the ignition switch. :D  It's an easy job. It's no guarantee that it will fix it, though. I still think I'll buy a couple of spare fuses..:rasta:
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, docc said:

All of the above? :sun:

Pretty much. Fuse 4 feeds the ignition switch, then about everything else on the motorcycle. Maybe I'll just put a penny in it..:o

Oh, and while I have it on the lift, is there any reason I can't piggy back a lead from Fuse 3 to the 30 pin on the start relay? That looks like an easy way to get some serious power to the starter..

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2019 at 8:09 AM, Chuck said:

What causes fuse 4 to blow over time? Looking back through my records, I see that it failed when I was out in SoCal several years ago. It just failed again while cranking. Out in SoCal, it failed when coasting to a stop.. <scratching head>

With your new direct feed removing its largest load it shouldn't blow any more.

With the old wiring as the switch got dirty the current dropped down to a point where it was taking too long to pull the solenoid in although I have no idea why it blew while running.

If you look at the blown fuse it gives a clue, just a tiny gap indicates it was only mildly overloaded, a large gap indicates a short circuit.

Fuse 4 also feeds Fuse 6 and 7 through the ignition switch.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...