2004 Lemans - won't start

Taxguy

On 8/4/2019 at 3:19 PM, docc said:

When you turn the key on all lights come on? Brake light works and horn?

If so, thumb the starter button. Not even a click? Holding the clutch in and the keeping the starter button pressed, sweep the steering lock-to-lock. Starter engages suddenly? This will be the two weak "bullet connectors" along the forward, left side of the frame needing attention (clean, crimp, Caig DeOxit or Vaseline, heat shrink, and groom them into place where the steering will not tug them open).

DSCN1472.jpg

So I'm pursuing the first of what I think is a 2 part problem. First, my non responding starter button issue and a search brought me to this thread. Pretty sure it's the start circuit's problematic bullet connectors. Classic symptoms. I got them apart with difficulty, they were Tight, but wiggled within the connection. The thing I noticed in this thread is Taxguy's pic of wiring does not match mine OR what's shown on KiwiRoy's wiring diagram (above) Mine matches the diagram with the exception of a wire color change going out (to the switch) of the connectors. (2 black/white going in and 1 blk and 1 gry going to switch) I'm sure I have located the correct connectors as #60 'clutch switch' because they are the only connectors I could see on the diagram and they are in the right place. I may have got the connectors wires crossed up on reassembly but I tested the start button both ways and it worked. I finished up everything at docc's recommendation and hopefully that's that. I'll move on to "part 2" of my issue in another thread. Dead rectifier. I think the issues are actually related but that's another story.

On 8/4/2019 at 3:58 PM, Taxguy said:

Thanks Docc.  It appears that a previous owner has already addressed this issue. Turning the bars didn't make a difference.IMG_2070.jpg

2 hours ago, footgoose said:

So I'm pursuing the first of what I think is a 2 part problem. First, my non responding starter button issue and a search brought me to this thread. Pretty sure it's the start circuit's problematic bullet connectors. Classic symptoms. I got them apart with difficulty, they were Tight, but wiggled within the connection. The thing I noticed in this thread is Taxguy's pic of wiring does not match mine OR what's shown on KiwiRoy's wiring diagram (above) Mine matches the diagram with the exception of a wire color change going out (to the switch) of the connectors. (2 black/white going in and 1 blk and 1 gry going to switch) I'm sure I have located the correct connectors as #60 'clutch switch' because they are the only connectors I could see on the diagram and they are in the right place. I may have got the connectors wires crossed up on reassembly but I tested the start button both ways and it worked. I finished up everything at docc's recommendation and hopefully that's that. I'll move on to "part 2" of my issue in another thread. Dead rectifier. I think the issues are actually related but that's another story.

That likely indicates a PO changed the switch using a generically sourced microswitch.

Is this on your RedFrame Sport, or your Tenni?

I'm curious how the clutch safety switch and the R/R  "are actually related" . . .

1 hour ago, docc said:

That likely indicates a PO changed the switch using a generically sourced microswitch.

Is this on your RedFrame Sport, or your Tenni?

I'm curious how the clutch safety switch and the R/R  "are actually related" . . .

It's on the Tenni and believe it's factory wiring. Possibly the diagram being for '04 and Tenni being '02 is the diff. Or maybe a mistake on the diagram. Or maybe they used a different switch in mine. It is a Guzzi after all.:helmet:

The clutch safety switch and r/r only come together in my 'event scenario'. I'm referring to my breakdown at SSR16 and subsequent diagnosis of a dead R/R. As we've discussed, the R/R is susceptible to heat and age. The location on the Tenni is the worst! Laid high and flat and behind the oil cooler. With the start button not working, I had my gear off, seat off, tools out, relays, manual out, starter cover off, etc.. experimenting ...looking for a start problem.. and the thing starts up! Afraid to turn it off, I reassemble everything as fast as possible. Probably took 7-10 min to get rolling, on a hot day... 2 minutes into the ride, the light comes on, never to charge again. Seems like a perfect storm to destroy a R/R.

I'm using language from the diagram re: clutch switch connectors #60

https://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzi007/schematics/2004_V11_Sport_Catalytic.gif

• Thanks 1