Toasted Battery?

Nihontochicken

Before going out for a putt today on my 2004 V11 Naked, I measured the static battery voltage, 12.66 volts.  Turned on the ignition with headlamp on low beam, 12.04 volts.  Kinda low, so following some suggestion I think I remember from somewhere, I left the ignition on for maybe five to ten minutes and turned it off and measured the voltage, 12.44 volts.  I then charged it with my non-high zoot Schauer battery charger for about half an hour, charge starting at 14.33 volts and 4 amps, ending at near zero amps.  At the conclusion, the static voltage (ignition off, charger disconnected) was 13.05 volts, so good to go?  Guess not.  When I hit the starter button, it turned over, but failed to start, so I turned off the ignition, waited for a bit, and gave it another go.  Click.  Oops, try again.  Click.  $#*+!!!  So I hooked up the charger again and used it to get the engine started.  Is it typical for an Odessey battery (partial pic below)  to fake it like this?  Dunno how old it is, bought the scooter about a year ago. 

https://i.imgur.com/KerR9xr.jpg

So I'm guessing I need a new battery.  Suggestions of where for a good price while avoiding a Chinese fake?  TIA!

KerR9xr[1].jpg

So, two - three minutes is plenty to take the surface charge off the pates and warm the battery, but not 5-10.

What is the date code on the battery?

3 hours ago, docc said:

More likely you need a new charger. The Odyssey will not actually charge with less than 6 amps.

The charger can supply up to 15 amps depending on what it senses on the far end, but it is an older, pre-silicon device.  It will continuously decrease the amperage as the battery charges, but apparently the battery wasn't fully charged (far from it) when the charger though it was.

3 hours ago, docc said:

So, two - three minutes is plenty to take the surface charge off the pates and warm the battery, but not 5-10.

What is the date code on the battery?

Thanks, will take some time to do all the disconnects and pull the battery, not terribly service friendly, but, of course, to be expected in an Italian scooter.  ;)

3 hours ago, docc said:

More likely you need a new charger. The Odyssey will not actually charge with less than 6 amps.

After starting the bike on the charger you might. Always thought this was a big no,no

Ciao

15 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

After starting the bike on the charger you might. Always thought this was a big no,no

Ciao

No, though the Schauer charger is stone age tech, it was a premium home charger in it's time (about 1980) and respected for not grenading when used for starting.  I also have a Schumacher knock-off from about the same time that I wouldn't care to risk starter smoke testing.  Still, I wonder why the Schauer thought the battery was fully charged when it was far from it.  I suppose the least frustrating path forward is to buy a new battery as well as an Odessey approved new charger.  Any source suggestions?

Don't give up on your Odyssey just yet . . .

If your charger has a Manual Mode, set it for 6+ amps and monitor the voltage with a good voltmeter. Do not exceed 15 volts. There is an entire thread on "Conditioning the PC545" along with references to a list of chargers approved by EnerSys (Odyssey):

17 minutes ago, gstallons said:

I bought a charger from SnapOn that does flooded cell , AGM , etc. $100 .

It "may" be fine, but check the actual voltages. I have returned chargers that claimed "AGM" but didn't demonstrate the unique charge and float voltages for AGM. Odyssey are specific animals, so be aware of their charge voltages and amperages.

Lots of EnerSys/Odyssey references in that "Conditioning" thread.