A little help needed..

Chuck

I'm at my wit's end. After hooking up a fused wire to pole 30 of the start relay, the oil pressure light is on with the switch off. All I did was that and clean/lube the ignition switch. Thinking I must have put the switch together incorrectly, I took it apart again.. and again. It certainly appears to be assembled correctly according to some pix on this site.

When I turn on the key, everything works. Starter cranks and it runs. Oil pressure light goes out. Shut it off and the oil pressure lights again as soon as oil pressure falls enough to trigger it. Why is that circuit hot all the time??  What I don't know about electricity would fill a couple of volumes.. :helmet:

30 minutes ago, bbolesaz said:

Chuck, if the bike is in neutral with the switch off, does the neutral light come on with the oil pressure light?

No. Just the oil pressure light. All other lights, horn, etc. work normally.

1 hour ago, Chuck said:

No. Just the oil pressure light. All other lights, horn, etc. work normally.

Chuck, try replacing the lights relay. If its stuck closed you will have power to the LOP light, the low fuel level switch and the tacho with the ignition switch off.

You wont notice the power to the low fuel level light unless its low and not the tacho either.

Ciao

You pulled the power from Fuse #3? That is the charging circuit from the regulator (the nefarious melting 30 amp fuse).

What was wrong with just pulling power directly from the battery?

4 minutes ago, docc said:

You pulled the power from Fuse #3? That is the charging circuit from the regulator (the nefarious melting 30 amp fuse).

What was wrong with just pulling power directly from the battery?

Actually, as they say in the NFL.. "Upon further review"" I chickened out and just made up a fused lead from the battery.

10 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

Chuck, try replacing the lights relay. If its stuck closed you will have power to the LOP light, the low fuel level switch and the tacho with the ignition switch off.

You wont notice the power to the low fuel level light unless its low and not the tacho either.

Ciao

Ahh, I saw that, but thought it was power to the tacho light. I'll run out and try that..:thumbsup:

Crap, that wasn't it. :( I was ready to buy you a beer. Or maybe a brewery.. :D

FWIW, the oil pressure light on this bike has always been flaky. If voltage was low..as in it had been sitting for a long time.. it wouldn't come on. After a hard run in the mountains, on the interstates coming back to the beach etc. it would work. The next day it might or might not work. :huh2: I didn't care. Just the same, I can't have it on all the time with the ignition off. I'm not above unplugging it..:o

Can you tell I'm pretty frustrated right now?

12 minutes ago, docc said:

Hmmm, you're not still using the $2.10 relays because the very best relays are a whopping $3.47? ;)

No these are the Omrons..

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Mikko said:

Could you have applied too much lube to the switch and it’s causing contact to be made? Check to see if any stray pieces of wiring are present at the switch? What did you use for lube?

I certainly wouldn't think so. Vaseline..

2 minutes ago, Chuck said:

I certainly wouldn't think so. Vaseline..

There is no such thing as too much Vaseline® . . . :grin:

27 minutes ago, Chuck said:

Crap, that wasn't it. :( I was ready to buy you a beer. Or maybe a brewery.. :D

FWIW, the oil pressure light on this bike has always been flaky. If voltage was low..as in it had been sitting for a long time.. it wouldn't come on. After a hard run in the mountains, on the interstates coming back to the beach etc. it would work. The next day it might or might not work. :huh2: I didn't care. Just the same, I can't have it on all the time with the ignition off. I'm not above unplugging it..:o

Can you tell I'm pretty frustrated right now?

Now he tells us. Pilots, same everywhere:) Sounds like high resistance in the switch to me. Where's Kiwi Roy when you need him.

Ciao

2 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

Now he tells us. Pilots, same everywhere:)

Ciao

I've put it on the squawk list before, but  would you listen?? Noooo.. :D "Right engine missing." "Found right engine on starboard wing.."

This is bizarre.  I'll bet a dollar if I rehook up the wiring the way it was the OP light would still be on. I'm about frustrated enough to try it, though..