WITHDRAWN FROM SALE - 2001 V11 Sport Rosso Mandello

Surj

No longer for sale. Decided to keep it. 

This is an absolutely beautiful 2001 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Rosso Mandello, #49 of a worldwide numbered limited edition run of 300. The bike is a bit of a time capsule, with some tasteful, “period correct” mods and a ton of very cool original parts and other bits and bobs, including the tank off another one of the 300 Rosso Mandellos. 

The bike has about 25,000 miles on it, but the odometer reads lower, in the high 13k range. Like many V11s, the speedo failed and was replaced under warranty (at 4,234 miles). I have extensive documentation of service and other details from the first/previous owner, and paperwork for the minimal stuff that I did to the bike while under my care, which wasn’t much. I bought the bike from a friend of a friend (the original owner) in Texas and it arrived at my place in Oakland in December 2017. 

A few months later, I was hit by a car (while riding a press bike) and after a bunch of surgeries, a total of fourteen days in the hospital and months of not riding, I’m left with a right leg and foot that don’t work well in sportier riding positions. I’m a rider, not a collector, and I hate to have this beautiful thing just sitting here collecting dust. I showed the bike at this year’s Quail Motorcycle Gathering, but even riding it on to the green—hardly a Saddle Sore 1000—it was clear that my leg won’t work with the riding position, and I really don’t want to drop this wonderful example. 

The bike is in very, very good shape, rides well and sounds amazing. These are tough to price, so I'll say I'm looking for $8,000. I may consider selling some things separately, but would rather sell the whole pile of stuff to someone who wants a Rosso Mandello with a bunch of good stuff.

Mods:
• Airbox replaced with K&N filters (RU-0630) on stock velocity stacks.
• PowerCommander.
• Penske shock.
• Carbon fiber side panels (from Scura?). These are on the bike partly to accommodate the Penske shock's reservoir placement without cutting the original side covers (also included).
• Carbon fiber tank pad (from Scura?).
• Braking Wave Rotors (STX01D).
• Rizoma bar-end mirrors.
• Ghezzi-Brian carbon fiber chin spoiler.
• Stucchi crossover.
• Magni exhaust (http://www.magni.it/v11_exhaust.htm)—sounds AMAZING.
• Black “GUZZI” valve covers.
• Carbon fiber generator cover.
• Carbon fiber rear hugger fender.

(The original owner added a lot of carbon fiber, Scura-esque accents)

Spares:
• Original red valve covers, mint condition.
• Used Rosso Mandello fuel tank with original paint, in very good shape (this is functionally unobtainium).
• Original numbered Rosso Mandello side covers (very good condition).
• Original tank pad.
• Stock airbox (removed at 3,000 miles).
• Original charcoal canisters and hoses.
• Hepco & Becker racks for hard luggage.
• Stock rear wheel hugger fender.
• Original generator cover.
• Tekno semi-rigid luggage with frames.
• OEM mirrors.
• OEM crossover.
• Good-sized pile of gaskets and seals.

Miscellany
• Numbered limited edition certificate that came with the bike.
• Workshop manual.
• Parts book.
• Extensive maintenance documentation.
• Moto Guzzi fashion accessories: red leather gloves and what looks like a bandana(?).
• New Pilot Road 3 tires in early 2018, probably 250 miles on them, tops.
• New battery (Odyssey PC545).
• Recently serviced and generator replaced.
• There are a couple funny/cool stickers on the bike: Michelin men with knives on the fork legs, and a classical pinup+tiger sticker on the tail. I like them and think they’re part of the story of the bike, but they could be removed if the new owner is a stickler for such things. 

I have certainly forgotten some other bits and bobs. As you can see in the photos, there’s a LOT of stuff with the bike. If you have questions, shoot me a message with your email or phone number and I can fill you in, as well as send maintenance records, high-res versions and/or additional photos as needed, and so on. Thank you.

Update: I have gotten a lot of questions about potential trades. I’d originally intended to sell the bike outright, but I’m also a believer in exploring interesting situations as they arise, so here are some bikes I might consider in trade. In general, these are “plus cash” options. I’m not looking for something that’s been beat on or has tons of miles. 

• Light-ish, late model-ish dual-sport. One person has suggested I take his 2014 KTM 690R, and that’s mighty compelling. I might be interested in a nicely set up—or stock but nice and clean—DR650 or something similar, although the DR is a little heavier than I'd like, and I have zero interest in a KLR.
• Honda Grom or Kawasaki Z215, or—ideally—a Honda Monkey (the new one, not the ancient ones). Obviously plus quite a bit of cash. This is kind of a dumb idea, honestly, but I love these little bikes. 
• Honda NC700X DCT, preferably 2017 or later. Yeah, long shot, I know.
• ‘83 or later, ideally ‘85-’86 Honda ATC250R or maybe a late Honda Odyssey or Pilot. Another long shot, and would have to be exceptionally clean. 

If you’ve got something you think is interesting, hit me up. Worst thing I can do is say no, maybe laugh a little. 

moto-guzzi-rosso-mandello-800-16.jpg

moto-guzzi-rosso-mandello-800-17.jpg

moto-guzzi-rosso-mandello-2000-18.jpg

moto-guzzi-rosso-mandello-2000-21.jpg

moto-guzzi-rosso-mandello-2000-18.jpg

moto-guzzi-rosso-mandello-2000-19.jpg

moto-guzzi-rosso-mandello-2000-20-1.jpg

moto-guzzi-rosso-mandello-2000-22.jpg

In this video, you can hear the startup sequence and the sound of the exhaust. 

Parts and such

moto-guzzi-rosso-mandello-800-9.jpg

moto-guzzi-rosso-mandello-800-1.jpg

moto-guzzi-rosso-mandello-800-2.jpg

moto-guzzi-rosso-mandello-800-3.jpg

moto-guzzi-rosso-mandello-800-5.jpg

moto-guzzi-rosso-mandello-800-6.jpg

moto-guzzi-rosso-mandello-800-7.jpg

moto-guzzi-rosso-mandello-800-8.jpg

moto-guzzi-rosso-mandello-800-10.jpg

moto-guzzi-rosso-mandello-800-11.jpg

moto-guzzi-rosso-mandello-800-12.jpg

(side racks are there too, still wrapped up)

moto-guzzi-rosso-mandello-800-13.jpg

moto-guzzi-rosso-mandello-800-14.jpg

moto-guzzi-rosso-mandello-800-15.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, antmanbee said:

If you would be willing to sell some of the spares separately, I would possibly be interested in the HB side racks.

Thanks

Let's see what happens. As mentioned above, I may consider that but would like to see if a buyer who wants the whole pile exists first. 

I will wait impatiently :)

Sorry to hear of your accident and healing issues. It is a shame to have to let that bike go, it's a beauty.

Some more really intensive physical therapy won't bring you back enough to be competent and enjoy it?

I am considering getting a top triple clamp that has bar mounts or drilling mine so I can get a bit more upright position with higher and pulled back bars. Also there are lowering pegs available too.

8 minutes ago, antmanbee said:

I will wait impatiently :)

Sorry to hear of your accident and healing issues. It is a shame to have to let that bike go, it's a beauty.

Some more really intensive physical therapy won't bring you back enough to be competent and enjoy it?

I am considering getting a top triple clamp that has bar mounts or drilling mine so I can get a bit more upright position with higher and pulled back bars. Also there are lowering pegs available too.

Thanks. Yeah, physical therapy won't do it. Part of my foot is fused, and my knee is now 50% some dead guy's bones and 50% steel. There is likely another surgery in the works, but the reality is it's not going to get much better. My surgeon is already saying things like "Yeah, you're just gonna be taking a lot of pain pills the rest of your life." :D

It's purely the leg thing—bars are fine. I've considered lowering the pegs but I don't think the difference will be sufficient. 

But I have an RT and a CRF250L, both of which work ok with my leg, or at least the pain isn't so unbearable—and I won't have to cut off a finger in penance if I drop either of those. 

This is such a fine, fine V11! :mg:

And an amazing "pile" and provenance. Let us so hope it goes to another worthy steward as Surj has been.

Continue your healing path, Surj, and stay in touch!  B)

• Like 1

Update: I've been getting a lot of questions about trades, so I added some notes on that. I also added a video demonstrating the sound of the Magni pipes—everyone ought to enjoy that. ;)

Oh, and here's another picture, with a lonely shop chair to signify sadness or whatever. :D

moto-guzzi-rosso-mandello-2000-65.jpg;)

That (matching color) shop chair signifies all of us who have sat in front of our bike for hours in the throes of admiration . . . :sun::mg:

(Sheesh: One-of-a-Kind-Rosso-Mandello-Magni-Scura!)

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, docc said:

That (matching color) shop chair signifies all of us who have sat in front of our bike for hours in the throes of admiration . . . :sun::mg:

(Sheesh: One-of-a-Kind-Rosso-Mandello-Magni-Scura!)

Also an accurate interpretation. :)

Every time I look at the photos of the bike, I think, "I can't/shouldn't sell this." :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...
23 hours ago, jakester said:

I like the Red heads....were they painted that color or are they from a Rosso Corsa?  If they are from a Rosso Corsa, I would like to make you an offer....if you decide your willing to sell your spares.  Thanks Jake

That color looks like the same as Rosso Corsa. Is that your impression? I have a pair of those but quite faded.

Surj,  Did you have those painted? Or are they oem? Stunning

• Like 1

Hey guys, those are the original valve covers, wonderful original condition, not painted. They are beautiful. I have planned to put them back on the bike since I got it, but the black "GUZZI" ones sort of grew on me and I never found the time to do it. 

I'm still planning to put the red valve covers back on, along with some of the other stock stuff. The bike is still for sale, but I've been super busy and haven't been pushing it. It's not even on Craigslist right now! Anyway, @jakester I probably will be splitting everything up and selling off stuff separate from the bike at some point (hypothetically soon, once I find the time), mostly to make the price of the bike itself more palatable to potential buyers—but the valve covers and original side covers (along with other stock stuff) will stay with the bike. 

If you are inclined to price it out, I'd be interested in the Odyssey battery, the gloves and bandana.  Do you know what size gloves they are by the way?  Thanks!  Stunning bike...that color tank is just beautiful, would be fun just to have to swap it from time to time on my Scura for a change of color every so often.