Timing sensor Leak

Colorobo

2 hours ago, Colorobo said:

Is the gasket the spacer and O ring seals Right or wrong. Thanks Rob

So, yeah it's a Viton O-ring seal and the spacer is to set the timing (it's not really a gasket).

They commonly get loose and need to be snugged up. Sometimes that stops the weep, but really common for the O-ring to harden and flatten out. Mne also leaked through the wire and I JBWelded it . . .

IMG_0302.JPG

• Like 2

I think they leak through the sensor itself, in around one of the transitions between one material and another (steel to red epoxy or red epoxy to black case). Then it travels up the cable or out again between the cable and epoxy on the outside.

Stick a condom on it, seriously, try glueing a disk of plastic right across the surface covering the tip.

Don't stick a fat "O" ring on it, all that does is mess up the gap.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

Hey Docc,

I've got a timing sensor leak.  I pulled the sensor, it had plenty of brown goo on it and no Oring.  It doesn't appear that the leak is coming up through the middle of the sensor and out through the wiring.  Anyway, do you still recommend a #112 Viton Oring to seal the sensor?

Thanks,

Art

1 hour ago, guzziart said:

Hey Docc,

I've got a timing sensor leak.  I pulled the sensor, it had plenty of brown goo on it and no Oring.  It doesn't appear that the leak is coming up through the middle of the sensor and out through the wiring.  Anyway, do you still recommend a #112 Viton Oring to seal the sensor?

Thanks,

Art

Yessir!

It is referenced in the Tank-off Maintenance Checklist, bullet (>) #19:

• Like 1

Geez, I forgot it was on the TO checklist...don't get old, it sucks.

Thank you!

Art

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I think finally resolved my timing sensor leak!  It appears that two small divots on the very top of the molded rubber housing were weeping oil. So, yes, I believe the oil was migrating up through the center of the sensor.  I cleaned/wiped off all the residual oil from the molded rubber housing, cable sheath & coil body.  Then placed a drop of penetrating loctite on the two divots, sheath & molded rubber junction and on the business end of the sensor.  I then slathered moulded rubber area & sheath junction with JB weld.  Installed a new oring ....after a few hundred miles it ain't leaked, seeped, weeped yet.  I hope it holds up, it looks like these are well over $100.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, guzziart said:

I think finally resolved my timing sensor leak!  It appears that two small divots on the very top of the molded rubber housing were weeping oil. So, yes, I believe the oil was migrating up through the center of the sensor.  I cleaned/wiped off all the residual oil from the molded rubber housing, cable sheath & coil body.  Then placed a drop of penetrating loctite on the two divots, sheath & molded rubber junction and on the business end of the sensor.  I then slathered moulded rubber area & sheath junction with JB weld.  Installed a new oring ....after a few hundred miles it ain't leaked, seeped, weeped yet.  I hope it holds up, it looks like these are well over $100.

The bay of fleas is your friend.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/193309873105

6 hours ago, guzziart said:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks Pete,

I know if I buy one, my original will probably never leak again or fail...cheap insurance.

Art

• Like 1

17 hours ago, pete roper said:

The bay of fleas is your friend.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/193309873105

I use one of (probably these) Chinese sensors on my Daytona engine. I bought 2 for $30. I only bought 2 because of the postage and it looks decent seems to be going ok after 52klm of riding:) Bit cheaper than the $170 being quoted for a genuine one. Just about everyone is selling these and the 2 pin straight type for around $30-40 so I wouls assume if they were junk there'd be turn of the century bikes and cars stopped all over the place on the side of the road:)

Ciao