Scura single plate clutch

JKV11

Hello,

Ik have a Scura in 2009 they replaced the cluth for a GU01080140, but now my clutch is slipping. I'm trying to find a new Clutch disk GU01084440, but is is not longer availible. I called TLM (the importer in the Netherlands) and they only tell me to replace it for a double plate clutch, and it will set me back 2000,- euro.

Now i have heard it is possible te replace de friction pads on te clutch disk, but to do this, i need to know how thick was the clutch plate. Can anyone tell me this?

kind regards,

Jorrit

Clutch disk 1k.jpg

Clutch disk 2k.jpg

Belleville spring 1k.jpg

Belleville spring 2k.jpg

Thanks!

Do you meen, there is nothing wrong with the plate but the hydrolic system builds up to much presure and it does not release the presure, and tis is why it slips?

If this is the case how do i solf it? and how do i prefent it from happening again?

If the previous owner has tinkered with it the clutch lever has a screw in the end of the lever ( or close ) that some mess with tring to improve or change clutch action . Send me you cell and I will send you a pic

4 hours ago, JKV11 said:

Hello,

Ik have a Scura in 2009 they replaced the cluth for a GU01080140, but now my clutch is slipping. I'm trying to find a new Clutch disk GU01084440, but is is not longer availible. I called TLM (the importer in the Netherlands) and they only tell me to replace it for a double plate clutch, and it will set me back 2000,- euro.

Now i have heard it is possible te replace de friction pads on te clutch disk, but to do this, i need to know how thick was the clutch plate. Can anyone tell me this?

kind regards,

Jorrit

Clutch disk 1k.jpg

Clutch disk 2k.jpg

Belleville spring 1k.jpg

Belleville spring 2k.jpg

I wouldn't buy anything from TLM due to the frankly outrageous prices they charge. You can buy a complete new clutch assembly including flywheel for your bike from MG Cycles for around 6-700 euros. 

I also agree you check the clutch lever freeplay screw isn't restricting the master cylinder piston from returning to the fully out position which may cause the clutch to slip.

Ciao

Sorry I can't answer your question but, if you still have the OEM aluminum flywheel installed, it would be a wise choice to replace it with a new steel one. In this case, either a complete standard dual plate clutch assembly, or a RAM lightened single plate like this http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=193&products_id=1698

Note, this is for a 5 speed as the one for a 6 speed is no longer made. You'll need to be aware of a few changes. If you still have the Scura OEM clutch, you will have the critical piece... the clutch hub. The other difference is the actuating rod "cup" hole diameter. (easy fix)

Read this thread if you have not already. There are other threads pertinent to the topic on the forum.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your reactions. The original clutch had been replaced in 2009 for a replacement GU 01080140 i think it has a steel flywheel. I’ll check it out this weekend. Mayby it is the same as the RAM. I looked it up at MG cycle. but i have aan 6 speed gearbox so i can not User this one. I don’t know or the clutch plate is interchangeable. 

It feels strange to orde from the Netherlands in the USA for aan Italian bike:unsure:

But mayby they can tell me or the parts will fit

Kind regards.

1 hour ago, JKV11 said:

It feels strange to orde from the Netherlands in the USA for aan Italian bike:unsure:

Yes, like the French brand bicycle tires I recently bought, made in Malaysia, shipped to New Zealand, from a Spanish retail store.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JKV11 said:

Thank you all for your reactions. The original clutch had been replaced in 2009 for a replacement GU 01080140 i think it has a steel flywheel. I’ll check it out this weekend. Mayby it is the same as the RAM. I looked it up at MG cycle. but i have aan 6 speed gearbox so i can not User this one. I don’t know or the clutch plate is interchangeable. 

But mayby they can tell me or the parts will fit

Kind regards.

This unit will fit your bike with the exception of the gearbox input hub which should still be useable on your bike. So you will end up with a spare part to suit a 5 speed bike.

http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=193&products_id=1698

Or you can spend 4 times the money with TLM. I know which I'd choose.

Ciao

I was wondering what is the different between the clutch disk of a Single clutch plate clutch and the clutch disk of a double clutch plate clutch are they not interchangeable?

My clutch looks a lot like the RAM clutch set, but i can not find any specs and i can not find just the clutch disk. I can only find this;

4DECE6BA-6200-4D10-864E-9D46EB703F96.jpeg

On 8/16/2019 at 10:24 AM, Lucky Phil said:

This unit will fit your bike with the exception of the gearbox input hub which should still be useable on your bike. So you will end up with a spare part to suit a 5 speed bike.

http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=193&products_id=1698

Or you can spend 4 times the money with TLM. I know which I'd choose.

Ciao

But TLM, would replace the clutch by a double disk clutch. They told me that can’t deliver any singel clutch plate materials, but i don’t know or, they can’t or they wont.

This is incl. de labor.

I don’t know or by replacing a single plate clutch for a double plate clutch there is a lot of knowledge is required or modifications.

Do you still have all the parts from your original single plate clutch, that was removed? Most importantly, do you still have the input hub?

Looks like this:

large.B214D798-DFE8-4770-A6F9-70BDBF4FE581.jpeg

the one on the right is the one you hopefully still have (ignore the bigger one on the left):

large.D12ADE27-A9B9-4712-8A1A-D35FF9EACD8C.jpeg

If you still have this hub, then you can use the "5 speed" single plate RAM clutch. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mikko said:

Can't we find someone to machine new hubs? ahemm..*cough*chuck*cough*.....

Maybe Joe Caruso can be persuaded. 

2 hours ago, sp838 said:

Do you still have all the parts from your original single plate clutch, that was removed? Most importantly, do you still have the input hub?

Looks like this:

large.B214D798-DFE8-4770-A6F9-70BDBF4FE581.jpeg

the one on the right is the one you hopefully still have (ignore the bigger one on the left):

large.D12ADE27-A9B9-4712-8A1A-D35FF9EACD8C.jpeg

If you still have this hub, then you can use the "5 speed" single plate RAM clutch. 

I only have the Scura for over a year now. So the repacement of the Clutch in 2009 was done by the previous owner. But he gave me all the bills of the work that was done over the years. Unfortunaly he didn’t give me the hub. 

I will look or i can make a picture and measure the parts.

1 hour ago, Mikko said:

Can't we find someone to machine new hubs? ahemm..*cough*chuck*cough*.....

Sorry, I'm not tooled up to do that kind of work. It would be pretty straightforward, though.