Scura single plate clutch

JKV11

On 8/18/2019 at 7:12 AM, Lucky Phil said:

I still dont see why you cant take a twin plate hub to a machine shop and surface grind the engine side down to the same friction plate spline width as the 6 speed.

Ciao

I know someone who has done that. Turning down on a lathe did not work, as the hub is hardened so much it just flicked parts of the cutting blade instead of lose material. As I understood from the lathe operator, that was one of the only times he was scared behind the lathe:P

Eventually they grounded it down to the right dimensions.

Jorrit, where in the NL do you live (out of curiosity, I live in Groningen and have replaced my single to a dual plate as well).

Have you looked for the parts at Stein-Dinse or Valpolini? HMB-Guzzi?

Hello Tinus,

I live near Apeldoorn and i have seen that the RAM Clutch is also avalible at Stein Dinse for 450,- but i'm still wondering or i can replace my Clutch disk by https://www.stein-dinse.biz/product_info.php?products_id=1084#prettyPhoto

It would save a lot of work (and money)

I didn't know Valpolini and HMB-Guzzi, i have looked them up. They do have the RAM disk but i don't know fos sure it will fit my Clutch.

At the moment i'm busy with rewiring the T850 Café. I'm installing a Motogadget M-unit. when i have replaced it i will go on with de V11. I hoped that i had my parts by then en could install them right away:luigi:

but i don't expect that te happen:cheese:

1 hour ago, JKV11 said:

Hello Tinus,

I live near Apeldoorn and i have seen that the RAM Clutch is also avalible at Stein Dinse for 450,- but i'm still wondering or i can replace my Clutch disk by https://www.stein-dinse.biz/product_info.php?products_id=1084#prettyPhoto

Nope, this clutch disk is for twin-plate clutches. I don't know about the compatibility of RAM clutch plates with the MG single plate clutch with steel flywheel. There really is only one way to find out I'm afraid...

How confident are you that the clutch is slipping because of a worn friction plate? Some other potential issues to consider:

- Tampered with clutch master slave setting (original clutch handle installed?) causing build up of hydraulic pressure
- Partial misinstallation of the new clutch, causing the plate to not see enough of the "push"  from the diafragm spring plate
- Broken or worn fingers on the diafragm spring plate (very normal on passenger cars! Especially Italian ones, don't ask me how I know...)

To  be honest, because of the price and unavailability, I would really want to open her up first, before making the decision whether to source a new friction plate, put new material on this one, or change over to dual plate clutch.

• Like 1

Today i worked again on the Scura, the flywheel is aluminum. The presure plate looks in good condition, the rest of the parts of the clutch are orginal, and even the adjustment is orginal sealed.

I think there are 2 options, the clutch-disk is warn, or the presure plate doesn’t give the right presure.

Maybe i should just replace both.

I send a e-mail to smotos.de, i hope they can help.

kind regards,

Jorrit

13 hours ago, footgoose said:

yes, what Chuck says. that flywheel is a known potential disaster. it'll be worth it for the peace of mind.

Like i said, in 2009 the clutch is preventive replaced by a GU01080140 (Single plate clutch) and the clutch disk is a GU01084440 and this clutch disk is not availabla anymore. It looks a lot like the RAM clutch, and if i can only replace the clutch disk (and maybe the belleville spring) it would save me quite a bit of money and time:cheese:.

• 5 months later...

I have found out that i probely have RAM 6 speed clutch.

At Stein Dinse i orderd a RAM 6 speed clutchplate (https://www.stein-dinse.biz/product_info.php?products_id=461370), And it looks just like the one that came out of te Scura.But it is only 0.9 mm thicker then the old one New 6,1mm vs old 5,2mm). So i'm afraid that this one only wil last a few 1000km.

I also took out the pushrod;

thumbnail_IMG_2199.jpg

I'm wondering or this is the wright one. And whether it was properly installed. The thin side was on the rear, in de slave clutch cilinder.

Can anyone tell me or this is the wright pushrod is for the RAM 6 speed clutch?

Kind regards, Jorrit

Some extra info;

V11 Pushrod.jpg

If i look closely it seems like it was properly installed.

but if i look a the clutch, it looks like it should be turned around

Pushrod V11 1s.jpg

I have another picture, where you can see the pushrod fits exactly in the spring, but i'm only aloud to upload 200mb

12 hours ago, JKV11 said:

Some extra info;

V11 Pushrod.jpg

If i look closely it seems like it was properly installed.

but if i look a the clutch, it looks like it should be turned around

Pushrod V11 1s.jpg

I have another picture, where you can see the pushrod fits exactly in the spring, but i'm only aloud to upload 200mb

Your rod has been installed the correct way around but at the clutch end the rod doesnt appear to have engaged the pressure plate button correctly which would mean the rod is in effect too long and possibly holding the pressure plate partially disengaged. This would cause slipping issues.This is one of the issues using a 5 speed RAM clutch with the six speed gearbox. You need to machine down the dia of the clutch end of the pushrod.

To check the correct length of the pushrod once machined,install the gearbox and clutch with the pushrod and the pushrod bearing assembly and the piston and push it as far forward as possible then measure from the piston end to the gearbox face that the slave cylinder bolts to. With the single plate clutch with the original plate( same as I have fitted ) the measuremnt should be approx 18.5 mm. It about 19.5 with a partially worn twin plater. If you assemble yours as before and the measurement is say 14 or 15mm then thats almost certainly what been causing the slip due to the pushrod not seating in the pressure plate button and holding the pressure plate partially disengaged. Look for damage to the gearbox pushrod bearing and piston as well.

If you use the later thicker friction plate you may need to modify the length of the pushrod and also the pressure plate button on pre 2015 RAM clutch assemblies.

ram clutch plate mod.jpg

Ciao   

EDIT.....here's your answer.......3rd last post by footgoose

20 minutes ago, docc said:

Here I thought the tapered, thin, machined end went into the clutch push button (forward)? :huh2:

I had to think for a second as well docc but if you look at your images in the link when your input nut backed off you can see the non reduced end there. I also went and checked my old engine and the reduced end is definitely at the slave end. God I only assembled the Daytona engine a few months ago and I'd forgotten already.

Ciao

• Thanks 1