new (19 year old) beauty: some questions

jetboy

Hi:  

I posted over in Wildgoose Chase and they sent me here!  

I just got this 2000 v11 sport, it seems pretty much stock other than the added bikini faring.  One thing they said over there is to upgrade the relays:  but I was not sure how to tell if they were already upgraded, so here is a pic:

relayslow.jpg

and a pic of the bike!  a bit faded but not much changed off the floor.  My friend commented:  "Why don't you want to park your new guzzi on the street" when we were meeting up in west oakland (I'd parked on the dried up lawn in front of the house).  I was like.. its nearly 20 years old!  PO kept it pretty clean!  :)

guzzilow.jpg

• Like 2

other question:  the odometer reset button is missing:  I saw where I could buy a replacement but is this just a "shove it in there" or a take it all apart sort of fix?  If its a real PTA to replace and they just vibrate out anyway... I may not bother.  

and in that vibrate theme:  heaver weights on the bars?  does it help?  

Those are not the original relays, but you can do better. Go to the “How to...” subforum and open the “Best Relay” thread. The last few posts link a source for Omron High Current relays.

The reset knob screws on with a left hand thread. Maybe a little blue Loctite to keep it there.

Best thing I’ve found for the vibration is a complete tune-up with meticulous throttle body balance. See “Decent Tune-up” in How To for a starting point.

Enjoy your “new” Sport and welcome!

I already mentioned the transmission bracket and sloppage plate on WG.  Also gave you the website for the tranny bracket.  Make sure both accomplished, so that you won't fry the engine nor crack the tranny case. 

I've only done the latter.  :homer:

That s a really early build V11 Sport (finned steel header flanges).

What is the build date on the left headstock plate, jetboy?

29 minutes ago, docc said:

That s a really early build V11 Sport (finned steel header flanges).

What is the build date on the left headstock plate, jetboy?

2--2000

is on the plate-  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LowRyter said:

I already mentioned the transmission bracket and sloppage plate on WG.  Also gave you the website for the tranny bracket.  Make sure both accomplished, so that you won't fry the engine nor crack the tranny case. 

I've only done the latter.  :homer:

yeah I saw your post and was trying to figure out where that bracket goes!  I think i understand the issue-  its only got the brackets on the rear of the transmission and the front is only held on by the bolts to the engine.  

1 minute ago, jetboy said:

yeah I saw your post and was trying to figure out where that bracket goes!  I think i understand the issue-  its only got the brackets on the rear of the transmission and the front is only held on by the bolts to the engine.  

Looks clean, rare to see original relays and an unmolested relay base and wiring. How many miles?

Ciao

3 hours ago, docc said:

Those are not the original relays, but you can do better. Go to the “How to...” subforum and open the “Best Relay” thread. The last few posts link a source for Omron High Current relays.

The reset knob screws on with a left hand thread. Maybe a little blue Loctite to keep it there.

Best thing I’ve found for the vibration is a complete tune-up with meticulous throttle body balance. See “Decent Tune-up” in How To for a starting point.

Enjoy your “new” Sport and welcome!

thanks!  the vibration is not all that bad:  the bike was one of those super deals and the guy backed out, then his wife made him go through with it, so I ran down there so fast I did not bring gloves.. then rode it home 40 miles.  :)        it certainly tells you what rpm it likes.  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

Looks clean, rare to see original relays and an unmolested relay base and wiring. How many miles?

Ciao

crazily enough, its super stock and clean.... and has 42k on it!    may not compete with the touring types but for a local sport ride its put in its dues.  

Under 4000rpm is like stepping on the toes of your Tango partner. 5000 to 6000+ is pure aria ! (Especially with some freer flowing canisters . . .)

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, jetboy said:

crazily enough, its super stock and clean.... and has 42k on it!    may not compete with the touring types but for a local sport ride its put in its dues.  

Looks in great shape for that mileage.

Ciao

• Like 1

9 hours ago, footgoose said:

Welcome Jetboy. Nice. Don't see many black ones. Those cans are aftermarket (this is good)

My bad- I should have zoomed in on the cans to see they are not the original LaFranconi.

Nice that it has been ridden and looked after. Seems the ones that have sat and sat and sat have a lot of needs.