LED turn signal conversion problem

Don Macleay

Switching over to LED's ran into a snag on the turn signals. 

With LED's in the back and old bulbs in front using a stock flasher it all works fine. 

Put in 4 LED's, and all 4 come on, no flashing.

Put in electronic flasher, and all 4 flash, no difference between left and right. 

Suggestions? 

I had the same problem. You need to replace the indicator bulb in the dash panel with a pair of green LEDs back to back, and wire a ground to the back. Otherwise all the indicators will find a ground though that little bulb to the other half of the circuit. 

https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?/topic/20690-led-blinkers-lr-blinking-at-the-same-time/&do=findComment&comment=238063

• Thanks 1

You can also use a single LED with a pair of diodes to prevent cross talk, that's what I have on my loop.

Here's a sketch I did for someone, In the first diagram I explain why its no problem with incandescent lamps

The second diagram shows cross talk

1948-001.jpg

The third diagram shows how back to back diodes prevent cross talk, any small diode will do eg 1N4004.

Note: All 12 Volt LEDs incorporate a series resistor to limit the current to 15 mA or less, I haven't shown these for simplicity.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gstallons said:

Whew , I would run the LEDs in the rear and live with it . 

That's what I resigned myself to. Along with the flashing brake LED and LED headlamp unit.

• 6 months later...

Brining this back instead of making a new thread...I am installing bar end turn signals so no longer have a front/rear setup. Obviously, the signal just comes on and does not flash. I have on order an LED flasher relay that I am hoping will work. Ive switched a lot of vintage bikes to LED signals with these aftermarket relays and have done a few resistor installs but does the Guzzi use anything from the stock speedometer setup I should be aware of? I am no longer using the stock gauges and have a small digital aftermarket one in place. I de-pinned the main bulk connector for all my new items. Thanks for any info! 

Add a 60-100 ohm resistor inline to both circuits  after the switch or one in the feed from battery before the switch.  You just need enough load to run the old bimetallic relay..  Back in the day RadioShack would have you covered.  Heres an Amazon link 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DCULNXS/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_3v4xEbCCFDPYS

• Like 2

And another variant, when I installed led bulbs, fronts were flashing, a bit fast, but no go at the rear. Switching wires on the left rear, AND working. Waited for some adjustable led relays. :rasta:, all good.    As usual I don't know.

Cheers tom.

• Like 1

Great news, I received my Led flasher relay today. Highly recommended! It was $11 and works great. It has a grounding wire that is needed but can be attached to battery or frame. It's a bit loud but you won't hear it over the motor. Works perfectly for my LED bar end signals! 

Here's da link 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GIU9M0Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 2

I replaced the signal bulbs with the LED 7507 (BAU15S) bulbs which have the projector lens on the end as well as the perimeter  LEDs. The perimeter LEDs use the OEM reflector and are probably acceptable as they are, but the projector lens points straight back/forward is like shining a flashlight toward the other vehicles. Very bright and noticeable day or night. Bought five $1-and-some-odd-cents adjustable LED flashers on eBay. If one messes up, I toss it and slam in another one. Very nice to have the adjustable flash rate. It came with an LED taillight and I installed an LED headlight bulb. Also have some LED T5s for the instruments if I ever get around to pulling the gauge covers off.

1 hour ago, po18guy said:

I replaced the signal bulbs with the LED 7507 (BAU15S) bulbs which have the projector lens on the end as well as the perimeter  LEDs. The perimeter LEDs use the OEM reflector and are probably acceptable as they are, but the projector lens points straight back/forward is like shining a flashlight toward the other vehicles. Very bright and noticeable day or night. Bought five $1-and-some-odd-cents adjustable LED flashers on eBay. If one messes up, I toss it and slam in another one. Very nice to have the adjustable flash rate. It came with an LED taillight and I installed an LED headlight bulb. Also have some LED T5s for the instruments if I ever get around to pulling the gauge covers off.

Nice mate! I love LED lights, much less voltage needed with such greater output. I have a new 7" LED headlight with amazing Hi/LO output paired up with the bar end LED signals and a new DRC Flex-1 LED taillight! 

• Like 1

On 3/4/2020 at 9:08 AM, LowRyter said:

I noticed the Radio Shack name is now at the Hobby Town.  They don't have near what RS had.

Buddy , if you need a resistor , name the resistance and your address !

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

No resistors needed but you will need a 3 wire flasher

The 2 wire flashers used with incandescent lamps are current actuated they work in series with the high lamp current.

The 3 wire LED flashers are more of a Voltage device, they use the Voltage to chassis to activate the relay.

10 minutes ago, Kiwi_Roy said:

No resistors needed but you will need a 3 wire flasher

The 2 wire flashers used with incandescent lamps are current actuated they work in series with the high lamp current.

The 3 wire LED flashers are more of a Voltage device, they use the Voltage to chassis to activate the relay.

So Roy if you use a 3 wire flasher you wont need to do any wiring mods?

Ciao