2003 V11 Sport for sale $1000

Omar

Bike is stuck in 2nd gear.  I've fixed it before but I'm done with this bike.  It has around 13,500 miles or so.  It actually runs very well.

Has fairly new tires, new oil cooler, new battery, new crank case breather hose.  Charging system works just fine, it always starts.

Local pick up only, I'm in Hoboken, NJ

Guzzi.jpg

Yes, replaced with upgraded one, it's probably the return spring that's stuck or something.  I've read a lot of the posts, repairs, mods.  I just don't feel like working on the bike.  I changed the spring probably 2-3 years ago, the company said the spring would not break.

Sorry to hear this. The spring has been a problem for a while with these bikes. The "upgraded" springs of a few year back were no more reliable than the originals. Just a couple of years ago, on this forum, some members designed, tested, and built NEW upgraded springs, very upgraded springs. I haven't heard of any failures from these. Is there room in your heart for another try? (if there is one to be found) Otherwise, 1k is an awfully good deal on this bike

I really appreciate it man, is there a link for the springs?  My 2000 V11 never had a problem.  This '03 is a bit sensitive.  The aftermarket spring I bought is from Cannon Race Craft. 

I can certainly relate to frustration from a motorcycle that gives problems.  These springs were fairly recently all sold I believe, BUT (and this is a bigg But) I'll bet one could be had.

This is the long version, for the truly interested. The result is ... a good spring.

However, are you sure the problem is the shift spring? How did the failure occur?

Yes, it's strange, you don't hear about the early bikes spring failures much if at all. I would chalk that up to a supplier change (ummm .. to save a few cents) after initial model production.

"sensitive" That's a good description. It shows you're still smitten by her

Not sure if it's the shift spring or return spring.  I was simply in traffic and it was getting stuck then finally stuck on 2nd gear.  I'm gonna open her up.  I started reading up on the thread above you just sent.  I wonder if the return spring is fitted the wrong way, someone opened it up before me.  I'll know tomorrow.  Also after I changed the spring, the neutral light was coming on between 1st and 2nd which it didn't do before when I bought the bike a few years ago.  Anyway, I'll know soon. Thank you.  Have a great weekend.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Omar said:

Not sure if it's the shift spring or return spring.  I was simply in traffic and it was getting stuck then finally stuck on 2nd gear.  I'm gonna open her up.  I started reading up on the thread above you just sent.  I wonder if the return spring is fitted the wrong way, someone opened it up before me.  I'll know tomorrow.  Also after I changed the spring, the neutral light was coming on between 1st and 2nd which it didn't do before when I bought the bike a few years ago.  Anyway, I'll know soon. Thank you.  Have a great weekend.  

The later bikes had the well known oversize selector arm pivot boss which caused spring failure on a regular basis. Replace or machine/file this down and a new Chuck Spring which I can send you if no one in the states has one and you're good.

Ciao

• Like 1

Lucky Phil, thank you, I will see what's up in the states.  If push comes to shove I will give you a shout.  Great group of riders in this forum.  I actually read up on the mods a few years ago and didn't do any of it.

Cheers.

this is the later offending shift pawl arm Phil referred to. It should measure 15mm at this point. I patiently filed mine down to 15mm/- ...doesn't have to be perfect. You'll see with the spring laid on there.

IMG_0452.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Testimony to our solid, steadfast, and caring community that a guy comes on terribly frustrated and ready to bail and people all over the world jump in to help him fix it and stay on . . . :closedeyes:

• Like 3

yeah on a normal forum someone would have shown up with a truck and $800 and taken it.    that said I have been there and given quite a few deals to the next person in line because even if its a small fix... I am done fixing it.    It does not feel bad actually-  lets the next owner have a deal!   Today I saw the Saab I gave away to a dude after the radiator blew and I finally gave up on it... he had an American flag flying, a "for sale" sign, and was driving with the emergency spare tire...  but he looked happy!

• Like 1