Shop stand needed

ronkom

It hasn't taken much work on my new toy (03 V11 Sport) to realize I need a shop stand. My nearest dealer is a 2 hour drive.  Is it something that breaks down into a shippable package? Anyone bought one recently? If so how much $$? Anyone have one surplus they'd sell me?  I can make myself one if they are unobtanium or the price is ridiculous, but I can't see reinventing the wheel.  As this is a GUZZI group (frugal!) I'll bet that more than one has been fabricated in home shops. If one of you home fabricators made sketches/drawings w/measurements I'd happily buy a copy. 

Thanks,

ronkom

I've always sworn by my factory shop stand . . .

DSCN2569.jpg

Yet . . .

Do you have a lift? (Like the cheap Harbor Freight one I have)?

In that case, a cheap(er) platform jack, tie downs, and a (not so cheap) Baxley Sport Chock makes a great lift system . . .

IMG_2547.JPG.jpeg

• Like 1

yup, I bought the Harbor Freight lift on SALE of course. And added the HF trailering wheel chock and bolted it to the lift.

IMG_0193.JPG

this type (generic) is cheap, I mean frugal,,.. But needs some finessing or the bike will fall off it. (attach spools to swing arm)

IMG_0513.JPG

I made this attachment for my floor jack to cradle the oil pan for engine removal

jack.JPG

Just for raising the rear... one of these is very secure http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=73&products_id=2995

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I made my own copy of the factory stand, but I am out of town for two weeks. When I get back I can send you a sketch if you want it. I copied Cash1000's homemade stand, but added wheels and painted it red.

v11 Naked 1.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I now own TWO Guzzis w/out center stands. This week I worked a deal to swap my Piaggio MP3-500 for a V-750III. So now I need a rear wheel lift than can be adapted to use on both bikes.

Suggestions?

Yes, I do have  a bike table similar to the HF one pictured, I bought mine from Northern Hydraulics years ago. The front wheel "vice" that came w/it was a joke, so I fabricated a stop for the front wheel & use tie downs. The hassle w/the Sport is that it took two people to get the thing on the table & tied down safely. I say "took" because I added a plate to the side of the table for the sidestand to rest on until I can get the tie-downs on it.. Getting it on the table & tied down by myself is tricky, but doable. I have an earlier version? of the HF  trailering wheel chock on my trailer, but only count on it to hold the bike up until I get tie downs on it.  The one pictured looks like it would hold the bike better, I'll check out what my local HF has in stock the next time I'm in there. 

ronkom  

I have been using this one  (http://shop.becker-technik.de/en/motorbike-lifters/24-central-lifter.html; see also http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2995 ) for the past 15 years. Very simple and effective. (see also 

I have the Becker, it’s pretty good, can be used with or without the wheels. The way it clamps onto the porkchops is nice for when you are really wrenching: no chance of it slipping off.

They don’t ship to the US, last I checked, so I had it shipped to family in Austria then they shipped it to me in Los Angeles.

• Thanks 1