Side panel badge quirks

Grim

This is a relatively pointless exercise in pedantry, but were there any hard and fast rules about what was stuck on the side panels or was it just a typical Friday afternoon job of whatever came to hand?

From the dates stamped on mine, one is from 2003 and one is from 2001. Both have black and silver chequered flag stickers, but no Italian flag and no text.

Looking at ebay side panels, most I can see have either text denoting the model variant, or an Italian flag plus the chequered flag. I found one similar to mine on a Cafe sport, which my bike is not.

Of course, the panels may have been replaced, but they are the right kind of age and condition to suggest they are original.

1 hour ago, gstallons said:

If you're looking for perfection , you're at the wrong place . 

If they match side to side consider that a win and move on.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, swooshdave said:

If they match side to side consider that a win and move on.

Apart from a slight difference in wonkiness, then yes, they match. Winner winner!

• Like 1

Well, due to my side panels being horrible and scratched, I sanded them down and painted them, then stuck my badges back on, not bad for rattle cans!

FnHCSy9Jid_D4OIOxv1xQTfl2EcgPq5cyAcmuisc

• Like 3

Let's not be too quick to dismiss Moto Guzzi's methods here... all the "limited edition" models had their names printed on the side panel badge-stickers, such as Scura. The faired LeMans models said LeMans, and many of the sport models said V11 Sport. I don't know about the year-by year variations, or which models got only the checkered pattern, but there is definitely a consistent pattern in the labeling of the side panels.

There are lots of colors available as well... and some are carbon fiber.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/7/2019 at 11:34 AM, hammershaug said:

Great result! Did you clear coated the panels?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you! 

Believe it or not there is no clear coat -- I used something called "Simoniz tough paint" on top of standard plastic primer. I let it cure for a couple of days then used some cutting paste and then a resinb polish.

After all this work I put the panels back on, looking lovely... Then I went to test my new tank/fuel lines... aaaaand the line to the regulator on the right  of the tnak sprayed petrol all over my newly painted panel!:angry:

Luckily, the tough paint lived up to it's name, and it appears to be petrol/ethanol resistant, so after another polish it was saved!