Sign in to follow this  
rich888

Changed cans and have a flat midrange

I had some MIVVs on my V11 and although it sounded great, I found that it was just too loud after about 20 mins in the saddle!

I put some stock cans on and it's now really quiet - maybe too quiet (LOL!), but I have noticed that there seems to be a loss of power in the midrange. Is that likely to be due to the stock cans, or just coincedence?

I haven't checked TPS, valves etc etc lately, so might just have drifted off tune a bit or are the stock cans really that restrictive?

Cheers!

It is always worth repeating a "Decent Tune-up" after any changes. Yet, I would wager the stock cans really stuff up the works, especially compared to something fairly radical like MIVVs . . .

5 hours ago, rich888 said:

I had some MIVVs on my V11 and although it sounded great, I found that it was just too loud after about 20 mins in the saddle!

I put some stock cans on and it's now really quiet - maybe too quiet (LOL!), but I have noticed that there seems to be a loss of power in the midrange. Is that likely to be due to the stock cans, or just coincedence?

I haven't checked TPS, valves etc etc lately, so might just have drifted off tune a bit or are the stock cans really that restrictive?

Cheers!

What's the saying ? If it's too loud , you're too old .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The stock cans have several downsides, as weight, looks, ground clearance, whisper, just to name some. But power restriction certainly is not on this list. Especially midrange should be much better as with Mivvs.

3 hours ago, luhbo said:

But power restriction certainly is not on this list. 

Nope...just look! Flows like Niagara!

a1wF644.jpg

look at that! No way could that impede exhaust flow

pcXBukR.jpg

I’m not even sure a straight pipe could match this performance!

FPOJfzy.jpg

If you are changing anything that has to do with the amount of air the engine can take in and out, the stock fuel map will not be optimal. It’s probably running rich now. I manually adjusted the fuel tables on my PCIII to account for the air filters/crossover/mufflers on my bike. It’s not perfect, but it runs good enough till I replace that band aid with a custom ecu.

• Like 1