Which tools for travel?

Gmc28

Looks like i'll be heading out to bring home this next Lemans later this month.

Done plenty of these longer road trips, and much longer, but never on a Goose, and especially not on a goose that i haven't had in my shop first to go through.

The seller has replaced all the relays, and a few other good but important details like that, and its got fresh tires, etc. 

But i'll be needing to travel very light, so looking at building my smallest possible but decent travel tool kit.  Most of it is straightforward enough, but any suggestions that are Guzzi specific from this hoard of experienced owners and road-trippers?

already planning to bring a jack hammer, backhoe, and tig welder (:->), but what else in the way of James Bond like stealthy and light but functional stuff is suggested?

• Haha 1

Everyone knows how suspicious I am of "the relays were replaced."  Like with just more crap, Chinese, under-rated relays? All too common. Don't leave home without proper High Current relays, a preconditioned battery and a multimeter/ testlight.

Check out this thread:

very good.... make for some good lunch reading!  PO says he replaced them with Bosch relays, but i'll look to see if there's one or two in particular which are more problematic, and will grab a spare or two. 

roger roger....

how about the 30a maxi fuse... that just the typical automotive version? 

I see that my long owned but seldom used Cortech soft saddlebags fit nearly perfect on the Lemans.  Just will get some protective stuff for the paint so it doesn't get messed up. 

Now just need verify that my little "go cruise" throttle lock will work. no reason it wouldn't, as its pretty much universal, but gonna check that key element. No way i can hang on to that throttle very long with that stretch, with my jacked-up shoulder, so that's the lynch-pin "tool" for this trip.  sure has been nice doing the longer trips on the Duc with the cruise control... something i used to scoff at!

All my attempts to modify, address, and upgrade the melty/charred funky 30 amp "charging" fuse gave way to my installing an aircraft grade (really? :whistle:) 30 amp circuit breaker over 3500 miles ago. For sure, check that 30 amp fuse and, at the very least, replace it regularly.

How far are you going?

When I brought mine home it was about 800 miles. I had to pack light and I overpacked the tools. In reality I only needed enough tools to mount the phone mount. Does the bike have its toolkit? If it does you don’t really need much more.

One good relay as a spare is all you need.

And AAA.

This time of year packing the right clothes is way more important than tools.

• Like 1

I gave this a lot of thought last year, did 10k miles on my 1100 Sport i. 
For tools, I took the stock tool kit- spark plug wrench, a couple open ends etc. 
Additionally, I took a 3" adjustable wrench (yes, 3"), a small set of metric allens, a 10mm allen for the axle, spare relay, fuses, and a small pair of needle nose pliers.
I figured the bigger stuff I'd just buy locally if I needed it; test light, multimeter, hammer and flamethrower. My insurance would tow me 125 miles, so I'd rather not bother with a test light in the high noon desert sun. The towing, while unused, was probably the most comforting safety net. FWIW next time I'll take a tiny LED flashlight too, though I only rode after dark twice.

Thx all.

docc - can u confirm if the 30a though, in its current stock form, is the typical automotive style?  To get her home, i’d Just like to have a spare for the trip.

Dave - good point on the stock tool kit... i always forget about that. I have a tool kit for each bike, based on how and where i use the bike. For my Alaska bike, its got a large-ish, well thought out tool kit, whereas for my street machines here at home its usually some spare odds and ends (fuses, relays, zip ties), a tool or two, and a credit card.  But this bike is low miles (good), but by definition has been mostly sitting for 17yrs, and its not had a chance to sit in my shop to get looked over yet, so i’m Doing a little more doomsday prep’ing for this 2300+ mile run.  Though i very well may just leave it at my brothers place in Durango, if i get there and decide that there’s not enough massage therapists and decent hooch to get me the rest of the way home.

Went out to the shop tonight and grabbed my back country tool kit, and just pulled out select items,  and placed them in a much smaller little case (an old Aerostitch canvas zip bag of some sort i had laying around).  Its a “celebrity lineup” of the faves from that larger bag, minus the chain tool stuff and larger wrenches, which ends up also representing a decent cross section of what Docc shows in his serious equippage/setup.  I don’t plan to do any big maintenance, but will be on some back roads where i’d Rather not have to try and call for help, so electrical stuff will be the main concern, after a basic tire plug and fill kit.

pressureangle - i may actually consider upgrading my wife’s AAA subscription.... i’ve Never had it, but via a promotion they offer she can add someone in same household for free (1st year), then the next level up from basic it says includes motorcycle coverage.  Hmm.  Its a thought.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Pressureangle said:

Hm. 

From whence and to are you riding this horse? 

Tulsa to Dallas, then to Durango, then hopefully home (oregon) via whichever route fate (weather) would favor... and there are several very good routes.

google maps says Dallas to portland is around 2000, plus the other legs and side routes.

2 hours ago, Gmc28 said:

Tulsa to Dallas, then to Durango, then hopefully home (oregon) via whichever route fate (weather) would favor... and there are several very good routes.

google maps says Dallas to portland is around 2000, plus the other legs and side routes.

Dallas to Portland!  Sounds like happy trundling a-gogo!

8 hours ago, Gmc28 said:

I am sooo tempted to join along...

But it isn't likely as I'm in S. Florida and it's 3 days to Tulsa and my schedule is set to the end of October. Drat. 

On 9/10/2019 at 10:27 PM, Gmc28 said:

Thx all.

docc - can u confirm if the 30a though, in its current stock form, is the typical automotive style?  To get her home, i’d Just like to have a spare for the trip.

pressureangle - i may actually consider upgrading my wife’s AAA subscription.... i’ve Never had it, but via a promotion they offer she can add someone in same household for free (1st year), then the next level up from basic it says includes motorcycle coverage.  Hmm.  Its a thought.

All the fuses in the factory fuse block are "Regular" (APR / ATC / ATO / ATS) blade-type fuses (not Maxi, Mini, or Micro).

For roadside assistance, consider AMA (American Motorcyclist Association). For their $35(?)/year membership, they cover all your bikes and cars as well as kids away at school. Excellent service!

• Like 1

The link shows these are auto-reset types.  I understand the aviation pop-up circuit breakers which you push to reset but do not see how auto-reset works. Does it sit there clicking on and off with a hard fault like a short to earth?