Electrical issues

FreyZI

Since I purchased my V11 Lemans, I've noticed that it likes to be fairly warm before riding off.  It will occassionally cut out (not a stutter and die, just cut out), for example when I've gone a few blocks and pull clutch and brake at a stop sign.  Once it's good and warm, no problems.  However, I've had a couple gremlins recently.  On a trip to a moto hangout about a half hour away, the starter refused to spin for the way home.  Bump started it and got home fine.  Several subsequent shorter rides started up fine, so I chocked it up to the bike being Italian and did no investigation.  

Several weeks ago, I took it on a several hours trip, with about 150 miles of spirited riding on I-80.  Once I got off the interstate, it started to sputter a bit, and coming to a stop it cut out.  It did start up and I made it the final mile to my destination.  Following day, heading home, similar experience.  After several hours in 6th gear, it didn't seem to like the B roads.  

Most recently, I stopped for gas about 20 minutes into a ride and experienced another no start (no spin).  I pushed on the connector at the starter solenoid and it was clearly not tight.  Afterward, it started right up; so I assume that was the issue with starting.  I'm guessing that there may be some other poor connections that are causing the problem.  Any ideas?

These issues are typically multi-causal.

Connections are always contributory: Main Ground (as czakky sez. He knows! :thumbsup: )

Here's the "short list" . . .

Best Relays

Decent Tune-up

Tank Off Maintenance Checklist    (See, especially, the clutch switch "bullet connectors"   . . . Those will give you the no start/-no prime/no click/nothing response from the start button. Try holding in the clutch lever and holding in the start button while rotating the bars lock-to-lock.)

Odyssey PC545 Battery Conditioning

Sorry I can't make it simpler. It-is-what-it-is, isn't it? :mg::luigi::race:

• Like 1

Italian wiring-where would we be without them?

Connections/earths/rust/ wiring brittle with age - all these maladies befall some Italian stuff. If the bike was stored somewhere chilly for a Winter or 2 then issues will follow.

Ignition switch on my own V11 was in very poor shape internally, rewired and now much better but still the odd time nothing happens when starter button pressed - when we are all dead and gone our spiritual grandsons will be asking each other what the phuck is wrong with their old Moto Guzzis. 

If you need a laugh have a look at some original wiring on 70s Italian stuff - very little left original now cos folks wanted to get about on them but if you get a chance take a peek.

Take it as part of the fun of running a left of field beast-its not wired to the standard of BMW that's for sure.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sudden dying usually sidestand switch.

Good running interrupted by intermittent weirdness is usually a bad battery or ground, or both.

Most of my electrical issues stopped when I conditioned the battery properly, (see Docc’s link above) with a proper charger and a new Odyssey battery. 

• Like 2

Thanks for all the tips, folks.  In my "spare time", I'll try to tackle a few of these issues.  I bought the bike about two years ago from a member of this forum.  It had received considerable attention (clutch, engine paint, etc.).  When not in use, the Tenni sits proudly under the stairs to the basement, rather than in the adjacent garage with its older sibling and cousins.  The basement has a dehumidifier and stays a fairly constant, comfortable temperature.  It is a bit of a trick to store it there, as I have to use the man door.  Fortunately, folding in the mirrors allows entry and egress.  In the warmer months, I take it out about once a month (never in the wet.  In the winter, it stays indoors on a battery tender.  Battery is the same as when purchased.  Incidentally, I recently switched my BMW R1200R and F800GS (my daily riders) to Antigravity lithium batteries and I've been happy with them.  Anybody using a lithium battery in their v11?  Given my intermittent use of the Tenni, maybe that's a good idea.  On the other hand, I've heard some horror stories about LiFePo batteries.

• 1 month later...
On 9/14/2019 at 12:06 PM, FreyZI said:

Since I purchased my V11 Lemans, I've noticed that it likes to be fairly warm before riding off.  It will occassionally cut out (not a stutter and die, just cut out), for example when I've gone a few blocks and pull clutch and brake at a stop sign.  Once it's good and warm, no problems.  However, I've had a couple gremlins recently.  On a trip to a moto hangout about a half hour away, the starter refused to spin for the way home.  Bump started it and got home fine.  Several subsequent shorter rides started up fine, so I chocked it up to the bike being Italian and did no investigation.  

Several weeks ago, I took it on a several hours trip, with about 150 miles of spirited riding on I-80.  Once I got off the interstate, it started to sputter a bit, and coming to a stop it cut out.  It did start up and I made it the final mile to my destination.  Following day, heading home, similar experience.  After several hours in 6th gear, it didn't seem to like the B roads.  

Most recently, I stopped for gas about 20 minutes into a ride and experienced another no start (no spin).  I pushed on the connector at the starter solenoid and it was clearly not tight.  Afterward, it started right up; so I assume that was the issue with starting.  I'm guessing that there may be some other poor connections that are causing the problem.  Any ideas?

I;m assuming you have one of the later VIIs with the Start relay powered from the Ignition Switch

Typically there is too much resistance in the ignition switch and it's associated wires. The Starter solenoid has two coils one that pulls 10 Amps and another that would like to draw 40 Amps  but just for a few milliseconds while the solenoid engages and the main contact closes, This is such a common problem it's been named "Startus Interruptus", common to almost every other Guzzi right up to the latest.

You need to clean the ignition switch every few years, take the switch block off the lock (2 Phillips screws) and open it up, wipe out the old grease and replace it with fresh Petroleum Jelly aka Vaseline.

There is a permanent fix (strong feed) that requires a direct connection to the start relay 30 terminal from the battery but it also requires a different arrangement for the feed to the headlight relay, try cleaning the switch first. Drop the negative wire off the battery to make it safe.

2004_V11_Sport_Catalytic.gif

I think your problem with cutting out is possibly a dirty side stand switch, carry a short length of wire to stuff in the relay (15) socket 30-87, this will bypass the stand switch as a test.

Further reading

https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?/topic/21206-startus-interuptus-revisited/

• Like 2