Big hose clip around alternator?

Grim

Hello,

After noticing a high speed rattle for a few days, it seems that 3 of my generator cover bolts have rattled themselves out down the road at some point. When removing the cover I noticed that there is a large worm drive hose clip around the entire generator body,  is this some kind of attempt to stope the main generator bolts rattling out or is is supposed to be there? The generator body doesn't look cracked or damaged.
Also, what bolts hold the cover on, M5 coarse thread? I guess thread lock is in order for re-intallation....

P.S parts-catalogue says no. GU98310631  6x30. Is there a way to read the part numbers for bolts like with Yamaha I see a 6 and a 3 at the end, but not sure about the pitch of the thread.....

Thanks

42 minutes ago, Mikko said:

Best bet is to visit your local hardware store and use the bolt gauge. I’ve been replacing the chewed up stock fasteners with stainless when I can. Small amount of blue locktite will do the job.

You can also order a Bolt gauge from Pro bolt. I have one and slowly cataloging the bolts to be replaced with black dlc ti bolts.

Cool, cheers.

Any idea about the hose clip around the alternator? It's situated in the groove around the middle of stator, where you can see the bolts normally peeking through on their way into the block.

Sorry, I'm rubbish at explaining... Here is a photo to show what I mean.

m7JsfbG.jpg

What you can't see here is that the threaded part for the lower left bolt has been snapped off!! So I guess I only need to buy 3 bolts. Although the thread is questionable in the remaining holes, so a tap/helicoil might be in order.....☹️

• Thanks 1

Buy yourself a new alternator stator housing, believe me its the best option. As for the cover mount bolts they will be 6x1 and 30mm sounds right. Dont use SS fasteners. I know they keep their finish better than passive cad plated bolts but SS is a poor choice for any fastener. They were only ever made originally for the boating and construction world where the premium was on corrosion resistance. They simply dont have the elasticity for effective engineering fastening. I use Titanium bolts wherever I can and the std passive cad plated steel where I cant or its too expensive to use Ti.

Timesert or helicoil the front engine cover mount holes. Timesert is my prefered option.

Do it once and do it right and you wont be sitting on the side of the road sometime wishing you had.

Ciao    

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

Buy yourself a new alternator stator, believe me its the best option. As for the cover mount bolts they will be 6x1 and 30mm sounds right. Dont use SS fasteners. I know they keep their finish better than passive cad plated bolts but SS is a poor choice for any fastener. They were only ever made originally for the boating and construction world where the premium was on corrosion resistance. They simply dont have the elasticity for effective engineering fastening. I use Titanium bolts wherever I can and the std passive cad plated steel where I cant or its too expensive to use Ti.

Timesert or helicoil the front engine cover mount holes. Timesert is my prefered option.

Do it once and do it right and you wont be sitting on the side of the road sometime wishing you had.

Ciao    

Thanks, do you think then, since there is clearly some bodging here, that there is something wrong with the stator? I figured it might be some kind of anti-rattle measure?

I am happy to buy a new stator, just wasn't sure what was even going on here!

18 minutes ago, Grim said:

Thanks, do you think then, since there is clearly some bodging here, that there is something wrong with the stator? I figured it might be some kind of anti-rattle measure?

I am happy to buy a new stator, just wasn't sure what was even going on here!

I'm assuming that the stator housing is probably cracked as I see no other reason for the bodge job with the clamps and resin. There is no rattle issues normally

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, docc said:

That raises the question, "What would have broken that stator housing?"

Crash damage?

There are some vicious speed bumps in the UK....  Strange that the cover didn't sustain any damage, although there is the one broken thread.

I suppose a pertenant question would be, what stator housings fit, it *looks* like 1100, Quota and Nevada 750 stators are the same?

Hi i contacted the previous owner for you and it seems that when the stator was replaced the housing was cracked so it was repaired with the hose clip, the stator is new but you could fix it properly with a new or second hand housing, or you could leave it as it is 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We are not all rich and do what we have to do to keep our bikes on the road.  To be fair to whoever did this 'repair' it seems to have worked and so saved our planet from having to produce a new part.  Of course one should declare these ingenious repair methods when selling.

1 hour ago, 68C said:

We are not all rich and do what we have to do to keep our bikes on the road.  To be fair to whoever did this 'repair' it seems to have worked and so saved our planet from having to produce a new part.  Of course one should declare these ingenious repair methods when selling.

Yeah, the guy who sold it to me is on here, and whilst it isn't his bike, he knows it well. The stack of receipts for regular servicing and replacement parts, along with the knowledge it's been all over europe (round the Nurburgring quite recently!) puts my mind at rest about how well it's been looked after. It has been well used (that's what they're for), and I guess after shelling out for a new stator, the mechanic couldn't source a stator housing at the time and did a repair. The owner was aware of this, and it has worked up till now.

I guess as a new owner I'm looking to put things back to standard, and not knowing why it looked the way it did, put it to the forum for answers.

I know that all I need is a stator housing, but finding one is proving difficult!

Thanks

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Grim said:

Yeah, the guy who sold it to me is on here, and whilst it isn't his bike, he knows it well. The stack of receipts for regular servicing and replacement parts, along with the knowledge it's been all over europe (round the Nurburgring quite recently!) puts my mind at rest about how well it's been looked after. It has been well used (that's what they're for), and I guess after shelling out for a new stator, the mechanic couldn't source a stator housing at the time and did a repair. The owner was aware of this, and it has worked up till now.

I guess as a new owner I'm looking to put things back to standard, and not knowing why it looked the way it did, put it to the forum for answers.

I know that all I need is a stator housing, but finding one is proving difficult!

Thanks

Stein dinse have them

https://www.stein-dinse.biz/product_info.php?products_id=9011

https://www.stein-dinse.biz/advanced_search_result.php?inc_subcat=1&keywords=29711960&x=9&y=2&categories_id=

Ciao

• Thanks 2