(Reasonably available) bikes you’d like to own!

On 10/17/2019 at 7:54 AM, LowRyter said:

Phil, the 916 is only 25 years old.   So it's doubtful that you've been working on them for 35.  My point wasn't only concerning Desmo Ducs in general, it's what I've been told about the 916 specifically.  For example, the local Duc guy here removes the 916 (996) engine as a first step, then the heads to adjust the valves.  The upgrade for the valve train was $2200 in parts for longer service interval.  It's not unusual for an expensive bill and the service intervals are pretty short, perhaps better with upgraded valve train parts.

I realize that many here are DIY guys but some of us aren't.  So I suppose the 916 would be a great acquisition for you.  These bikes were pretty cheap 10-15 years ago, recently I've seen them come up in price perhaps after the supply of bikes have diminished and the remaining ones have been upgraded.  

For me, I'm not going to tackle my 939 SS for the 18k service.  There are however, kits that can be leased with tools, consumables and instructions for garage DIY-ers.

My previous post should have read "silly enough to pay $2000  to service the 916". That's just overcharging, shop around. 

I've been working on 4 valve Desmo systems since the mid 1980's since they were first released first the 851,888,916,996 and 1098 which are all the same basic engine design,although the 1098 is easier valve clearance wise, so I guess thats only 34 years.As well as the bevel drive and 2 valve belt desmos before that. Part of my 996 experience is at WSB level and 2 valve belt Desmo's at world championship level,so I thought it might be valuable to get the perspective from someone thats actually done the work on them for the pleasure of it as apposed to the view of someone thats doing it for the profit.

Plenty of people including competent home mechanics have been turned away from Ducati's because of overcharging by shops for servicing and I'm here to point out its not really valid

The 916 series was a major leap forward in ease of servicing and access and is quite an easy bike to work on. Pulling the engine on a 916 to do the heads is totally unnecessary.

Personally nothing I own mechanically ever crosses the dealer doorstep after purchase. After having worked side by side with mechanics from several dealerships, car and bike over the last 35 years (or so) I'd rather just do it myself and worry about the warranty issues if there are any when they arise or just absorb the cost myself. It often works out cheaper that way in the long term.

Ciao 

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, LowRyter said:

Phil. you're a World Superbike mechanic?   I don't think I could afford you.

Well the truth is I work for soup and a sandwich as far as motorcycles are concerned, I did do it and still do it for the pure pleasure and because I like to help people and learn stuff.

I hate the profiteering and "charge what the market will stand" I see these days, its just not me. Needless to say I'd never make it in my own business.

Ciao  

• Like 2

I actually have all my must-haves. 

Under the right circumstances, I could add a bevel Ducati, or a Vincent, or a Panther. Laverdas are cool. But I don't think any of these qualify as cheap or available.
I'd like to have back my '68(?) Ducati 450 Jupiter. And my '72 Honda TL125.

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, Pressureangle said:

I actually have all my must-haves. 

Under the right circumstances, I could add a bevel Ducati, or a Vincent, or a Panther. Laverdas are cool. But I don't think any of these qualify as cheap or available.
I'd like to have back my '68(?) Ducati 450 Jupiter. And my '72 Honda TL125.

Strangely enough, for whatever reason I like Panthers, too. :ph34r: There were a couple of them that looked complete but not running in an auction 6 months or so ago, and I almost went.

But I had an attack of common sense.. :huh2::rasta:

• Like 1