Adjusting throttle cable slack

po18guy

Being a complete noob, but hating slack in the controls, I am wondering at which end slack is removed from the pull throttle cable. I know that, like carbed bikes, some slack is needed to allow for changes in cable tension when steering. Still, I would like to minimize it for smoother shifting on my part. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

With 15 posts you are no longer a NOOB.

My 03 LeMans throttle cable can only be adjusted at the twistgrip end.  Have you looked above the LH throttle body to see if you have another adjuster there?

On other bikes I like to set the twistgip end adjustment halfway then correct at the other end.  That way I know I can twiddle with the twist grip end if I get bored on a long run.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As I recall, the Guzzi set up only has adjusters at the throttle / bar end. I personally set mine so that there is almost no slack in the pull cable. I set it up tight, to where the idle just barely starts to rise when you turn the bars full lock. That means there is the least amount of slack you can have without the throttle changing when you turn the handle bars (OK, it changes ever so slightly). I find that the on / off throttle response is better that way. My Griso is really sensitive to it, too much slack in the Griso throttle cable makes it herky-jerky.

I always set up the pull cable, the one that opens the throttle, first. Then I set the push cable, the one that closes the throttle. That closing cable is better if you leave a little slack in it. Too tight there can cause the throttle to bind. And removing all the slack you can there doesn't make the throttle feel / work any better.

Adjustment is personal taste, as long as turning doesn't affect throttle you are OK.

The V11 needs more throttle/clutch feathering, while driving, than a lot of other bikes, so get used to doing that, and not using throttle only, especially at lower speeds, like some smoother machines. It's a big heavy lump with a lot of drivetrain lash, so smooth driving is key.

• Like 1

Sorry guys, I forgot to turn notifications on. That's pretty noob-like. I appreciate any and all wisdom. Probing into the new-to-me bike, the last thing I wanted to do was break something that would require Carlo to be bribed out of retirement in Mandello del Lario to make a replacement part. I see it's a simple setup - much like the dual cable setup on an EX500 I own. However, I came up with a field expedient: I put the dial calipers on the ferrule of the cable at the throttle body end. 4mm. Broke out two 4mm nylon washers from the stash and split one side of each with a utility knife. Slipped them over the cable itself, then pulled the housing free of the bracket and slid the two washers over the ferrule. Popped the ferrule back in place and done. They are captured in place and no fiddling needed. Virtually all slack now gone (good idle from lock to lock) and even if one or both washers come adrift (can't imagine that), it  simply defaults to the prior slack.

I have noticed a ton of both torque as well as engine braking. First hyd clutch, so some getting used to the whole thing. Have ridden shafties before, so that part is familiar. Very little else about the bike is familiar, accentuating that Guzzi personality, I guess. I much prefer slack-less throttles, as both upshifts and downshifts can be done more smoothly - at least by this klutz. The pic shows the washers in place. This was so easy that I fear what comes next! Actually a Roper plate at oil change is probably next, but that is relatively straightforward. I've already solved several jigsaw puzzles in removing the Hepco &* Becker mounts, swapping the Motobits controls for stock and pulling the fairing and headlight to do an LED swap.    IMG_2923.JPG

• Like 1

On 9/20/2019 at 7:25 AM, Tinus89 said:

I'm sure my V11 only has one throttle cable, not two like in a push-pull (which is actually pull-pull) setup... 

It is correct that early V11 have only the one cable. Changeover to two, perhaps, in 2002 with the LongFrame?  :huh2:

Aprilia attorneys must have insisted on two cables as a fail-safe in case of a failed return spring.

p.s. stumbled upon the adjustment procedure in the shop manual. Will have to adapt to the particular linguistics in said document.

• Haha 1

On 9/21/2019 at 2:49 PM, po18guy said:

Aprilia attorneys must have insisted on two cables as a fail-safe in case of a failed return spring.

p.s. stumbled upon the adjustment procedure in the shop manual. Will have to adapt to the particular linguistics in said document.

There is nothing special about adjusting the throttle cable slack on a fuel injected Guzzi.

While I appreciate your ingenuity with the washer / spacers it is typical to simply adjust the threaded adjuster on the other end of the cable. As mentioned, if there are two cables (push / pull), adjust the opening / pull cable first. Make sure the closing (push) cable has slack and adjust the pull cable to where you are happy with the amount of slack. If, while adjusting the pull cable, the closing cable no longer has slack you need to add slack back to the closing cable. The closing cable must always have slack or it can cause the throttle to stick. Some slack in the opening / pull cable is required, or when you turn the handle bars one way or the other it may apply throttle. But how much slack is the key. As mentioned, I prefer the least amount of slack I can get away with in the opening / pull cable. But no doubt there is an actual measurement in the manual. Use the measurement, use common sense. It does not matter. As long as you still have enough slack so that turning the handle bars does not apply throttle, which might result in a bad day.

Once you have the opening / pull cable where you want it, make sure the closing / push cable has enough slack. It should have more slack that the opening / pull cable. And it should maintain at least some slack during the entire range of the throttle travel. The closing / push cable should have slack the whole time you are twisting the throttle. There is no advantage to running the closing / push cable with a minimum of slack.

So which bikes have the twin cable, could I retrofit it it to an 03 RC?  You may remember one of my first posts was about the throttle linkrod adjuster knob getting caught on the rear shock reservoir pipe connector, this was at full throttle!  Surprising how quick it accelerated, luckily on a straight road, until I remembered the kill switch.  I am sure I could have made it roll off with a twin cable setup.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 68C said:

So which bikes have the twin cable, could I retrofit it it to an 03 RC?  You may remember one of my first posts was about the throttle linkrod adjuster knob getting caught on the rear shock reservoir pipe connector, this was at full throttle!  Surprising how quick it accelerated, luckily on a straight road, until I remembered the kill switch.  I am sure I could have made it roll off with a twin cable setup.

Well, my Ballabio is an '04, so it sounds like that may be the first year(?)

Now as to concern over proper throttle cable adjustment: I noted that what i did was a "field expedient." The rubber sheath/molding covering the throttle twistgrip end of the cable is rather petrified appearing,  having apparently been untouched for 15 years. It is going to need a good soak in ArmorAll before I can hope to remove it in one piece. And, as to push-pull throttles, that is exactly what the Kawi EX500s I own have, so I have been adjusting them for 20 years, as of this year.