RAM aftermarket single plate clutch.

pete roper

This bloke with the Rosso with the buggered gearbox appears to have an aftermarket single plate clutch I. It with a sintered bronze plate. Now I know these things wear out in no time but if I can get the plate re-bonded with an organic compound I reckon it'll be sweet BUT I need to know the nominal plate thickness. Any ideas?

pete

Correct, RAM in South Carolina is not the same RAM, in Italy,  that makes parts for Italian motorcycles.

Pete, I have a new single plate from RAM, I can measure the thickness of the friction plate for you.

Just be aware that depending on the model RAM clutch you have the plate thickness might require to be different. You can use the later thicker plates on the earlier clutch but you need to modify.

open the small image under the main one and it gives you the diagram and requirements.

http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=193&products_id=3117

Ciao

On 9/21/2019 at 2:39 AM, sp838 said:

Correct, RAM in South Carolina is not the same RAM, in Italy,  that makes parts for Italian motorcycles.

Pete, I have a new single plate from RAM, I can measure the thickness of the friction plate for you.

That would be appreciated. I know the sintered plates wear quickly. I was considering seeing if I could get the plate re-lined with an organic material

On 9/21/2019 at 6:42 AM, Lucky Phil said:

Just be aware that depending on the model RAM clutch you have the plate thickness might require to be different. You can use the later thicker plates on the earlier clutch but you need to modify.

open the small image under the main one and it gives you the diagram and requirements.

http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=193&products_id=3117

Ciao

Thanks Phil.

1 hour ago, pete roper said:

Thanks Phil.

No worries Pete. I just measured my old style RAM plate thats fitted to the Daytona engine that's finished on the bench. It has the fast wearing plate and I measured it at 5.75mm thick. Bear in mind that I couldn't get the calipers in there as its all assembled so I used the Plasticine impression technique and measured it with the digital calipers. I have a pretty high level of confidence in the measurement. 

You wouldnt happen to have the two special tab sockets that fit the internal ring nuts on the 6 speed box shafts that I could borrow do you? 

p/n's 01 91 38 30 and 01 91 37 30. 28 and 24mm  I believe.

Ciao

55 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

No worries Pete. I just measured my old style RAM plate thats fitted to the Daytona engine that's finished on the bench. It has the fast wearing plate and I measured it at 5.75mm thick. Bear in mind that I couldn't get the calipers in there as its all assembled so I used the Plasticine impression technique and measured it with the digital calipers. I have a pretty high level of confidence in the measurement. 

You wouldnt happen to have the two special tab sockets that fit the internal ring nuts on the 6 speed box shafts that I could borrow do you? 

p/n's 01 91 38 30 and 01 91 37 30. 28 and 24mm  I believe.

Ciao

Better than that I've got Rolf's super-marvey deep sockets which I'm certain are about a zillion times better than the 'machined from cheese and then subjected to a softening technique to make them really useless' factory ones!

Of course you can borrow them but we've got that gearbox from the Rosso Mandello coming in this week and we'll need them to pull that POS to bits. Nag me next week. Once we have it apart we'll almost certainly need to order parts to replace whatever it is that's dying in there so while they are coming by Trireme from Europe I can get the sockets to you and hopefully you can use them and get them back before our bits arrive!

pete

16 minutes ago, pete roper said:

Better than that I've got Rolf's super-marvey deep sockets which I'm certain are about a zillion times better than the 'machined from cheese and then subjected to a softening technique to make them really useless' factory ones!

Of course you can borrow them but we've got that gearbox from the Rosso Mandello coming in this week and we'll need them to pull that POS to bits. Nag me next week. Once we have it apart we'll almost certainly need to order parts to replace whatever it is that's dying in there so while they are coming by Trireme from Europe I can get the sockets to you and hopefully you can use them and get them back before our bits arrive!

pete

Ok Pete thanks. Did you see a member here recently had his gearbox shifter sleeves ( or movable hose as the manual calls them)replace during a gearbox rebuild and the rebuilder fitted sleeves that ended up too wide and the box wouldn't shift. Dont know why the sleeves ended uo too wide but it seemed one of the possibilities was that they were incorrectly manufactured. Just something to look for if you need new shifter/drive sleeves.

Ciao

Phil (and Pete)

Even better than a loan. I have still some of my tools for sale.

Special pipe for the peg nut 93601020

Special pipe for the peg nut 04055100

And also the special pipe for the front peg nut 93601026

Would you like to have an offer including shipping? Send me a PM.

Rolf