E10 fuel in Europe

Tinus89

Hi all,

In 10 days time (01-10-19), the Netherlands (and I think Western Europe) will transfer from E5 to E10 fuel, so fuel containing up to 10% of bio-ethanol.
I mostly use Shell V-power (which always claimed to be ethanol-free, but when they introduced stickers with E5 on the fuel dispensers to provide clarity, they also fitted the V-power dispenser with an E5 sticker...), but sometimes also need to use EUR95 fuel. Only for winter parking, I ensure I have quality fuel in the tank.

My tank has not (yet) swollen. Bike is from 2001.

Question: would you or would you not use E10 fuel for normal use? For long-term storage (winter months), I will still ensure at least V-power or equivalent is in the tank.

Thanks a lot!

I have used E10 Shell V-Power with good results in the Sport. Other fuels offer more popping and sputtering. Tank swell is a concern especially for winter storage. 

Apparently, there are stabilizers available specifically for ethanol which may be worth investigating.

Question: would you or would you not use E10 fuel for normal use?

Uhh, I pay 80 cents a gallon not to use it. That said, here in corn country non ethanol fuel is almost non existent. A guy has to use it when venturing away from the one station that has it locally. Really, I don't see any performance loss, but it *will* cause your tank to swell, and bubble the finish.

• Like 1

It's actually pretty easy. I did a tutorial on WG on lining a Rosso Corsa's tank with Caswell epoxy. The last I knew, it was still fine. Also saved an "unfixable" Quota tank with the same stuff.

$42. :helmet: Cheap. (Guzzi content)

I know several guys who swear by V-Power and similar high priced low ethanol stuff - and yet report swollen tanks. Well, these plastic tanks are 20 now, a long time even for slower chemical reactions.

E10 is good for Guzzis, technically, alas our European alcohol is made from Amazonian rain forest, burned down for corn and sugar plant mono cultures. If you have a choice you might consider this

• Like 1