3D printed intake boots

Admin Jaap

I would think it would be strong enough for that job. Austin, the young man that runs my cnc mill, has a 3D printer, and he's always making things for the shop. Depending on what material is used, it can be pretty durable.

Cheap and fast compared to having a one off part cast out of metal. Cheap and fast is always relative.

However, buy your own 3D printer and you can make them yourself. They are getting cheaper, but they are still not cheap.

• Like 1

I think my 3D printer cost less than $300 several years ago. If you know what you are doing (which I didn't) you can do some pretty good stuff.

There is also metal printers that would work for that application too.

8 hours ago, GuzziMoto said:

Cheap and fast compared to having a one off part cast out of metal. Cheap and fast is always relative.

However, buy your own 3D printer and you can make them yourself. They are getting cheaper, but they are still not cheap.

Yes I agree, and I'm aware that values are a personal thing. I was aware of the pieces origin however I thought the member had them made by a third party. My point still remains though for a piece of printed plastic they are very pricey. 

Not that I would ever go down the pod path but my value system would price point them at $100. Just for comparative purposes and no doubt make a target of myself.

Ciao

• Thanks 1

What do a pair of stock rubber intakes cost these days? (Mikko just picked up a set . . .)

Ditto on my not likely going to pods, but these are kewl! (Do they come in black?)

gallery_9560_164_312869.jpg

My Daytona has a very nice set of aluminum intake runners that allow pods to be fitted. It was like that when I got it. The original pods were starting to fall apart, so I modified things a little and fitted a different set of pod filters. It was hard finding a set that checked all the boxes for fit and functionality. The aluminum intake runners in my Daytona are on the long side. And that made finding a pod filter that properly fit a bit harder.

While I like Spa, and I like the look of pods without an airbox, I wouldn't do that to a bike that had a functioning and properly designed airbox. I would put the airbox back on the Daytona, but currently the battery is under the seat, where much of the stock airbox goes. That is because it has a V11 tail / seat section on it and the battery can't go in the stock location (in the passenger seat hump). I have thought about moving the battery to a different location, like under the trans. That would be a great place for all that weight.

Properly designed airbox in my book is a small but real plus, and is one less (or lessened) variable if chasing the ideal tune.
I can’t get My Austrian bike to run as well on the highway with an (expensive) aftermarket air filter system as it does with the (“factory tuned/shaped”) stock intake/air-box. Air flow and pulsing at intake at higher speeds and Rpm’s Appears to be the issue, based on what I experience, and what a ktm guru strongly voiced. But depends on the machine, of course. Same physics, different physical variables at play. I just like to stick with the stock box, if it’s well designed.

While I don't think a V11 airbox is the best design it can be, I know it works well on fairly aggressively tuned V11's including the wifes V11 which has a number of mods including ported heads. No doubt if you start changing things like displacement it might start be a limiting factor. But with stock displacement you aren't likely to have an issue with the stock airbox in my opinion.

It's still a 2 valve low camshaft engine, quite the same as it was already in the 60ies last century, so thinking this air box could be choking or restricting the power output in any way is rather unreasonable.

Of course, you'll always have people reporting about covers with magical hole patterns having magical effects on rideability and power output from idle to red line and the like, but hey, that's what the forums are invented for.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mikko said:

Because OEM’s have to meet a myriad of regulations.. a airbox designed to work with a choked up stock engine will do as intended.

however, once you start changing parameters such as exhaust, and or modifying the engine..then a stock airbox will be a hindrance.

up until the late 60s-70’s with the advent of fuel injection and emissions regulations, most Italian motorcycles didn’t even come with filters.. just velocity stacks. 

I hear u, and won’t argue....but my experience is that the open airbox thing is usually (not always) overrated or even counter productive, even with enhanced exhaust.  But certainly depends on specific machine and mod status.