3D printed intake boots

Admin Jaap

Actually I'm sitting in a cosy flat above Ascona, looking down over Lago Maggiore, I have the time for comments...

What I'm saying is that without these restrictions this engine would definitely be equipped with the same air box as it is now. Because it performs better with it. You could always get performance kits from the factory or from such pros like Scola and others, consisting of camshafts, head jobs, crossovers, high flow mufflers, ECUs or maps. They always stick to the stock airbox, with snorkels even.

Did you ever wonder wether a silk smooth running engine after an air box mod could be just a symptom of an engine running rich and lazy?

Edit: The last time I read about wonder holes and such was some years before you bought your Scura, so when I mentioned them it had nothing to do with you directly

• Like 2

Just looking at it, what I would like to see is intake snorkles that extend further forward from the OEM airbox and do not pick up cylinder or oil cooler heat.  Maybe a bit larger, or even a 3rd snorkle. In the Kawi EX500/GPz500s world, the thing is to add a 3rd snorkle to the OEM airbox (which is 7 litres capacity as is), but the Kawis use CV carbs and some intake restriction is needed. Used pods back in the 70s and while they simplify and clean up the intake, they can certainly complicate tuning. 

Some have modified the intakes at the front of the stock airbox giving them a "bell" shape. I enjoyed doing this very much on my Sport and am happy with the way the intake sound changed from the rider's position. I also "felt" it made the bike "livelier," but there was a mixture of beer and desire involved . . . :bier:   :wub: