Greetings! Glad to have found you! And I have a question.....

Kane

What? You're not shipping the magnificent, loverly (but needy and demanding) Italian delight to me for "testing?" :huh:

Seriously, you have some wrenches, a place to work, a voltmeter, some way to balance the throttle bodies, and maybe laptop to connect to the Sport's ECU?

Thanks for the offer! Seriously, you guys have been really helpful and forthcoming. I really appreciate it. I know that these are hands-on bikes. I am actually looking forward to having a bike like this that I need to become handy and familiar with. Years ago, wrenching on my 850T and later my Triumphs, a ‘61 pre-unit Bonnie and then a ‘68 Bonnie, was my passion. It’s been a while, but I am really glad to be back in the saddle with a Guzzi. Back then, the two bikes that I lusted over were a Norton Commando and a Guzzi LeMans. My impression is that the V11 Sport is dipping into LeMans territory. I’ll see my friend on Sunday and hopefully wrap everything up next week.

Thanks again for your welcome and help with this. This is a quality forum.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Kane said:

Thanks for the offer! Seriously, you guys have been really helpful and forthcoming. I really appreciate it. I know that these are hands-on bikes. I am actually looking forward to having a bike like this that I need to become handy and familiar with. Years ago, wrenching on my 850T and later my Triumphs, a ‘61 pre-unit Bonnie and then a ‘68 Bonnie, was my passion. It’s been a while, but I am really glad to be back in the saddle with a Guzzi. Back then, the two bikes that I lusted over were a Norton Commando and a Guzzi LeMans. My impression is that the V11 Sport is dipping into LeMans territory. I’ll see my friend on Sunday and hopefully wrap everything up next week.

Thanks again for your welcome and help with this. This is a quality forum.

At the very least we've saved you from a Norton Commando,lol

Ciao

8 minutes ago, Kane said:

. . . .  This is a quality forum.

My Sport would be ditch-fill without this community. Long ago. Truly.

It is , instead, a Prince-of-the-Pumps!  So: it can be done. Take-your-time-take-your-time . . .

IMG_9612.jpg

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Kane said:

Hello folks!

I am new here, this is my first post. I hope this is an active place for Guzzi people, as I am very close to acquiring a new Guzzi and I need a little advice. I have had a Guzzi in the past, a ‘75 850T, my first real motorbike back when I was still a lad, When my friend and I pulled the barrels to change the rings and I saw the chrome lined barrels I fell in love with Guzzi. Went to a Triumph, Yamaha, H-D, and then stopped riding for awhile. Now I have an opportunity to buy a 2001 V11 Sport from a friend who inherited it and has no interested in riding it. He took it to a local non-Guzzi motorcycle shop and got it running with a new main seal and went to the DMV and got a clean title. He wants to be rid of it and will sell it to me for what he’s got into it: $2300. I rode it for a short local ride and the engine felt great, but I have yet to get it on the highway. 

One thing that concerns me is that I have read that the steering geometry on the 2001 V11’s, I guess a short head angle and fork rake, makes the bike a chore to ride; whereas the later models from later in the 2000’s had a better geometry and are nicer to ride.

I think getting a Guzzi V11 in good running condition for a good price is a thing to go for, but I am concerned after reading that after 2001 the ride and handling is much better. Should I hold out for a later Guzzi than the 2001 V11?

I have also read that the later 2000’s bikes were more reliable than circa 2001. Although my ‘75 850 was rock solid.

I would be using this bike for local excursions, but also longer day cruising from Los Angeles to San Francisco.

I look forward to your sage wisdom!

Thank you

Kane

Red frame bikes are the sportiest of the lot.  If you feel some weave when you ride at speed just loosen up the adjusters  on the front fork.  You might stiffen the rear.  But It's probably good to go.  Mine only has the issue when I put on heavy saddlebags on the back of the bike.

The other issue with a red frame bike is the need to install a bracket on the bell housing to mount to the frame.  This should prevent the gearbox housing from cracking.  I know a shop here that has built some kits to do that, Don can supply you with the bracket and fasteners that he patterned off my bike:

http://www.motivcycleworks.com/

Most would think that $2300 is a smoking deal.  You can browse the forum for all the issue and upgrades.  

an old and worn front tire will present as heavy steer on a sport bike. Also, a 19 year old moto that's been sitting, and with an unknown history, should be looked at as you would any vintage bike. Off with the tank and wash it out. Do the "tank off maintenance" while there. Have a look at the breather tube, goes from the underside of the frame near the head down to the rear of the case. That thing can/will rot and disintegrate, and leak oil. Service every electrical connection and ground you can find. that's a start...

as others have said, short frames are quite stable riders.  You get that thing sorted and you'll be laughing. welcome citizen

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LowRyter said:

The other issue with a red frame bike is the need to install a bracket on the bell housing to mount to the frame.  This should prevent the gearbox housing from cracking.  I know a shop here that has built some kits to do that, Don can supply you with the bracket and fasteners that he patterned off my bike:

http://www.motivcycleworks.com/

Most would think that $2300 is a smoking deal.  You can browse the forum for all the issue and upgrades.  

Thank you very much for that! I can see that I’ve come to the right place to learn how to do this Guzzi right!

Cheers!

I always thought those late ‘60’s/early ‘70’s Norton were pretty sweet. The 70’s was a great era for bikes: the LeMans, the Commando, those huge Laverdas.

Now that I’m on the road to getting this V11, I’ve been looking around and there are two other V11’s available in my area, both minty clean, low miles, and from solid owners who have taken good care of them and seem know what they’re doing: a 2001 GREEN V11 Sport (mint), and a 2002 Scura from the run of 600 Scuras (also very mint). Of course these bikes would cost me another $1,000-$1,500 respectively. I’m wondering if in the long run it will likely be a wash if these are more transparent in their history and better cared for by actual Guzzi enthusiasts, rather than the bargain priced V11 which has an unknown history except for the non-Guzzi shop replacing the main seal, which from what I am reading here was likely not the cause of the oil leak that the main seal was changed to fix. Not that I am  overly concerned about that bike as it ran well and I will ride it again tomorrow. The ‘01 green Guzzi and the ‘02 Scura look pretty sweet, though.

• Like 1

Better go for these.

Getting a screwed V11 straight is always possible, but it's not always the best basis for a lasting affair. In case you were the hot guy for such a nonbiased affair you would have made her yours before showing up here and asking questions about her. Really, it wouldn't be the best start.

I got a similar bike from Italy, cheap, 5 previous owners, it took me 3 years to build up confidence. And that after nearly 40 years of Guzzi.

• Like 1