Greetings! Glad to have found you! And I have a question.....

Kane

Wow, what a drag. Not having to deal with all of that crap is one the perks of riding motorcycles. So, now that we know that this is a ‘01 Guzzi sold in Arizona with what I assume are factory installed emissions canisters (they look very tidy and tightly tucked in, like from the factory), this raises some questions for me. Were the bikes built and sold for the Arizona market any different in any other way beside having those canisters on them? Were they tuned or setup differently,  like cars built to meet the emissions standards of the California market might be made differently or have mods for that particular state?

Where do the hoses attach? Once removed, will the bike be like every other ‘01 V11, or are the parts that the hoses attach to different?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Kane said:

Wow, what a drag. Not having to deal with all of that crap is one the perks of riding motorcycles. So, now that we know that this is a ‘01 Guzzi sold in Arizona with what I assume are factory installed emissions canisters (they look very tidy and tightly tucked in, like from the factory), this raises some questions for me. Were the bikes built and sold for the Arizona market any different in any other way beside having those canisters on them? Were they tuned or setup differently,  like cars built to meet the emissions standards of the California market might be made differently or have mods for that particular state?

Where do the hoses attach? Once removed, will the bike be like every other ‘01 V11, or are the parts that the hoses attach to different?

Thanks!

So, that is the original 50-state US vapor recovery system on the early V11.  Any early V11 without them has been modified. And (per Chuck!), yes there really is twenty feet (20!) of hose plumbing them from each vacuum tap at the intakes and back down to open drains behind the gearbox. Most of the tubing on my system was US made 1/2 inch fuel line. The whole she-bang weighed ten pounds! If you remove the cadmium plated bracket that holds the hoses at the bottom of the gearbox, be ready for gear oil to spout! (Those fasteners are not in blind holes.

Some have put a tube between the intakes with no apparent ill effects. I choose to cap mine separately. The other main "emissions" issues with the early V11 (and maybe later ones) is a sketchy one-way "tip-over" valve on the tank vent that can contribute to locking off the tank and subsequent "tank-suck"/ poor running or stalling, and CO Fuel Trim set to ridiculous negative (lean) values. (See "Decent Tune-up")

Thank you, docc. Man, I have learned more from you guys in a few days than I ever knew during the years of riding my old 850T back in the day.

It’s like the Oracle of Lake Como! 

• Thanks 1

I am! And I’m ready for seconds! Seriously, you guys have really helped me out. Thanks to your generosity in indulging my queries I feel pretty good about all of this.

• Thanks 1

On 10/1/2019 at 6:11 PM, Mikko said:

My 1st v11 was a Greenie and aside from the bad paint on the engine  . . .

Must have been a 2nd Gen "Green-tankie" carried over from '02 to '03 with black driveline?

img_7kaRH21saK7LOuT_r.jpg

All early V11 were Sports (1999-2001) with silver driveline (with the notable exception of the Limited Edition 2001 Rosso Mandello, black driveline with black ShortFrame). I have heard of no bubbling wrinkle black driveline paint before the 2002 LongFrame models. I do not recall any issues with the 1999-2001 silver or 2001 Roose Mandello black (?) :huh2:

edit: Pure, early "Greenie" V11 Sport (1999-2001) with silver driveline (some "accessories" may not be included ;) ):

attachment.php?s=43de7e4b43a818ed594a114

That’s awesome. There’s an ‘02 Scura V11 for sale here, as well as the ‘01 Greenie V11 and my friend’s hand-me-down ‘01 black V11. The Scura that’s here is #600 of 600 made, some limited edition thing. Is it true that the Scura’s gas tank is plastic? Do you like that? Did you change out the single plate clutch on your Scura, or are you cool with that? Do you take it to the track?

• Like 1

All V11 tanks are Acerbis-made roto-molded Nylon ("plastic"). Later tanks ('03-'05) have the pump and filter internal and no separate "chin pad".

Any Rosso Mandello, Tenni, or Scura owner should investigate the fragile aluminum flywheel of the single plate clutch.

39 minutes ago, Kane said:

That’s awesome. There’s an ‘02 Scura V11 for sale here, as well as the ‘01 Greenie V11 and my friend’s hand-me-down ‘01 black V11. The Scura that’s here is #600 of 600 made, some limited edition thing. Is it true that the Scura’s gas tank is plastic? Do you like that? Did you change out the single plate clutch on your Scura, or are you cool with that? Do you take it to the track?

buy them all. you will wish you had someday. they all are reasonably priced imo.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, footgoose said:

buy them all. you will wish you had someday. they all are reasonably priced imo.

hahahhaa! See? :grin:

5 hours ago, Kane said:

I checked out the ‘01 Green V11 that’s for sale in my area. It’s a title more expensive than the bike I was first looking at, but it is really clean and low miles. Sounds like thunder from heaven! I’m taking a second look at the first bike tomorrow, but this Greenie is pretty sweet.

I do have a question: When the clutch lever is pulled while the bike is sitting at idle it makes a noisy rattle. He told me that it’s a dry clutch and that’s normal for these clutches. Is that correct?

Also, there are two black cylinders under the seat just behind the battery. I’ve never seen these before, and they were not there on the first V11 I saw. What are these?:

F20FCB98-AB55-4758-BB4A-F20E980793B1.jpeg

On a serious note, I must say that battery, those relays, the position of the "OBD" connector, and the accessory wiring over the wrapped over the right rear sub-frame tube all give me pause . . . and concerns (that can be addressed).

6 minutes ago, docc said:

Well , that is a true early Greenie (without the California-coast "accessories"! :sun:) I have so never heard of "bubbling" silver driveline paint. Perhaps this was more of an exposure issue with salted roads, storage, or "cleaning" chemicals?

I guess I didn't realize the silver block's were even painted .

27 minutes ago, footgoose said:

I guess I didn't realize the silver block's were even painted .

Painted silver, and maybe even clear coated? :huh2:

I have damaged portions of mine (silver driveline finish) from road exposure, winter road salt, lime on the roads, indigenous chemistry (clutch fluid), and various attempts to clean off residue.

But it never "bubbled off'" like the 2002/carry-over 2003 "wrinkle black" that just flakes off.

4 hours ago, docc said:

On a serious note, I must say that battery, those relays, the position of the "OBD" connector, and the accessory wiring over the wrapped over the right rear sub-frame tube all give me pause . . . and concerns (that can be addressed).

What looks off to you?