V 11 wrinkle finish condition

Twin AH

Greetings all..... was wondering if anyone has or knows of any V 11 tennis that have a wrinkle finish on their cases that have remained in good condition.

I am curious as it seems all I have seen have been in a very poor state.

Yet I have seen other models of that era that appear to be in a very good condition.

Ciao

Good morning, there was a general problem with the wrinkle finish on all V11s (see for example 

and that is why Moto Guzzi at least in Europe organised a call back. So if you find a V11 with wrinkle finish that is still in good condition, it has been redone (by Moto Guzzi or by the owner). 

Thx for that Rosso.

Actually not sure that applies to all of those as I have seen 2002s with as much as 6000 mls with no blemishes to speak of but I have seen many with as little as 1600 mls and their finish is completely destroyed??

At first I thought it might have something to due with heat cycles but now.....

That's why I was wondering if any of the members with the Tenni in particular own one where the cases are still in good condition if they could forward or PM with mileage.

Ciao

To my knowledge, all '02 and some carry-over '03 were affected. '01 Rosso Mandello, not sure of, but most likely so. Mine, from new, started bubbling between 3 and 4k miles. It took 3k or more miles to get the full effect. I left it till I replaced the clutch to remove the engine and strip and paint. Ford simi-gloss engine paint.

IMG_0415.JPG

Wow 28K with original case paint? That's amazing as well as promising.

Have not however seen or heard of any Tennis without issues regardless of mileage??

And yes I am aware of the factory fix with the satin finish unless they offered a rare few with a wrinkle finish re&re.

2 hours ago, Twin AH said:

Wow 28K with original case paint? That's amazing as well as promising.

Have not however seen or heard of any Tennis without issues regardless of mileage??

And yes I am aware of the factory fix with the satin finish unless they offered a rare few with a wrinkle finish re&re.

Here's the Mighty Scura at 38,000 miles..

IMG_20191002_102320447.jpg

14 minutes ago, Twin AH said:

Holy crap Chuck..... you must have got a good one for sure.

Thx for that.

Ciao

I'm currently repainting a wrinkle finish gearbox and I can tell you if an engine was painted with this level of adhesion you would never have an issue. Looks like you either got a rock solid wrinkle paint job or a flaky one.

Ciao

22 hours ago, Chuck said:

Here's the Mighty Scura at 38,000 miles..

IMG_20191002_102320447.jpg

I have a 2001 with 41.000km, looks better than Chucks...

And yes, Chuck's looks good:).

6 hours ago, docc said:

I am thinking the 2001 Rosso Mandello has different paint that preceded the problems with the '02/'03 ?

Or maybe a batch of cases with bad/incorrect preparation that caused the paint not to adhere.

Ciao 

2 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Or maybe a batch of cases with bad/incorrect preparation that caused the paint not to adhere.

Ciao 

That seems like a pretty big "batch." Like every '02 and lots of '03 I've seen.  Good question from the OP, how many '02 are out there with decent paint, still?