V 11 wrinkle finish condition

Twin AH

28 minutes ago, docc said:

That seems like a pretty big "batch." Like every '02 and lots of '03 I've seen.  Good question from the OP, how many '02 are out there with decent paint, still?

If a manufacturing process isn't carefully controlled (we *are* talking Guzzi, here) :rasta: nobody knows until things start failing in the field. Remember, this is a very small company with very little money.. and no reliability lab. This is much of the allure to me. They were making a *very* good motorcycle on a shoestring, and doing a good job.. mostly.. at it.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Chuck said:

If a manufacturing process isn't carefully controlled (we *are* talking Guzzi, here) :rasta: nobody knows until things start failing in the field. Remember, this is a very small company with very little money.. and no reliability lab. This is much of the allure to me. They were making a *very* good motorcycle on a shoestring, and doing a good job.. mostly.. at it.

I'm thinking in those 2 years they probably only made 2-3000 bikes worldwide. How many were affected I dont know but it seems not all of them.

Ciao

10 hours ago, docc said:

I am thinking the 2001 Rosso Mandello has different paint that preceded the problems with the '02/'03 ?

From an ad for a 2001 Rosso Mandello #261... " This bike’s black engine paint, like all early production V11s, exhibits the unintended original factory “crinkle coat” finish (see pic) "

Here ...https://raresportbikesforsale.com/tag/rosso-mandello/

also, I seem to recall Adam's stunning RM (at SSR15) having the bubble paint.

I suspect Guzzi bodged the black paint from the start.. till sometime in '02. Unless one is certain of the bikes history, how does one tell if if it's a warranty replacement? I have seen bikes advertised stating such. Also, a bike that's had any motor work done would surely have the paint seen to at that time.

• Thanks 1

Yes it does seem a little strange as I have seen a few  over the years and have never seen a Tenni for some reason that does not have some or major finish issues on the engine cases.

Regards;

PS;  still looking forward to finding or hearing of an owner with a Tenni that has not been effected.

Oh and based of what I have seen and been told.... the factory fix for those that pursued it back then were New cases prepped with the new satin finish.

Which looked horribly mismatched in my humble OCD opinion......

Ciao