Keen to hear thoughts on mechanical issue on the road...

Gmc28

Shouldn’t that manual Petcock knob be able to turn?  I see a wire next to that petcock, which I assume is for low fuel lgt sending unit?  The knob doesn’t turn with quite a good heave in either direction, so don’t want to force it till confirming I’m not missing something obvious in my haste.

the sound of the fuel pump relay this morning is clear. Maybe my ears are just ringing less, or maybe cooler temps or replaced relay is the deal.

For whatever reason, it was starving of fuel. Wear your damn ear plugs or one of these days the ringing won't stop. Trust me on this. The manual petcock tends to stick, and it can take a wrench to move it off of open. Carefully, of course..:rasta:

3 minutes ago, Chuck said:

For whatever reason, it was starving of fuel. Wear your damn ear plugs or one of these days the ringing won't stop. Trust me on this. The manual petcock tends to stick, and it can take a wrench to move it off of open. Carefully, of course..:rasta:

You bet.  Already have permanent hearing damage from past stupidity, which my wife lovingly reminds me of....

is that emoji a pic of u removing a sticking petcock with a cigarette?😎

yep, starving fuel.  it’s just the notion of the next 1500 miles ahead of me that makes me think long and hard about whether the problem is gone or whether that was just warning of impending pump failure or some such thing.

Also have but of grease on the rear wheel, from the u-joint.  I can see small amount of grease coming out from around the round joints, and i’m Assuming a small amount like that is normal if it was recently serviced?

my only shat drive machine that i’ve Owned over a period of time and miles didn’t have that exposed u-joint, and it just required occasional gear oil change, so i’m Lacking in knowledge on what’s normal for this machine.

12 minutes ago, Chuck said:

I really doubt the pump is failing. I'm betting it was the relay.. A little grease is normal. Don't worry, be happy. :grin:

Moto bliss awaits.  

Out of the flat, windy, north Texas plains, and now into the tasty mountainous curves.  I shall indulge.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gmc28 said:

Shouldn’t that manual Petcock knob be able to turn?  I see a wire next to that petcock, which I assume is for low fuel lgt sending unit?  The knob doesn’t turn with quite a good heave in either direction, so don’t want to force it till confirming I’m not missing something obvious in my haste.

the sound of the fuel pump relay this morning is clear. Maybe my ears are just ringing less, or maybe cooler temps or replaced relay is the deal.

Yeah, those petcocks are really hard to turn. I end up padding some ChannelLocks to close mine. Probably best to leave it be. Yep, those nearby (fragile) wires are the fuel sensor.

In Durango, bike running sweet, and many happy smiles/curves behind me. Route 64 between Taos and Chama is not to be missed if in the area, myself only getting to it by accident after missing a turn and not noticing for too long, causing that excellent re-route.

still not good idling, and that 3000-ish rpm stumble, and worse than it was a week ago, but as of a week ago she had been mostly sitting for a long time, so thinking the use/miles are getting things stretched and worked, which is good, but likely means a handful of adjustments later.

C465A60F-9614-409C-9C8C-3A071B22A9C0.jpeg

• Like 4

Did you cap off those vacuum taps, buddy? That would be such a simple way to isolate that mess of vapor recovery hoses (twenty feet of them!). A cracked hose in that mess = vacuum leak.

(Just looking for really simple things you can do on the fly.) :luigi:

I think it’s tank suck. The symptoms are almost perfect.  Remove the charcoal canister and make sure the tank has clear breather and overflow nipples (might want to run a small drill bit through by hand) and associated rubber drain lines.

Just thinking out loud,,, do some of the V11's suffer from the disintegrating fuel lines inside the tank like some of the later guzzis?

Hope your gremlin is gone for good,,, or at least returns at a more convenient time.

Good luck with it

Kelly 

Thx all-

did a half assed job of capping/unplugging the lines.  Will need to get her home to dig in and do it right, to assure I have properly cleared or capped lines, but think we’re good for now.  But no issues running today, other than crappy idling, after 8.5 hrs in the saddle, including some very spirited riding, several hours of freeway droning, and then capped with some lovely stop and go traffic in Salt Lake City when my ass had already had about all it could take.  She purrs like a proper italian now at mid range rpm, where she’s living most of the time on this ride.

man, the million dollar highway (hwy 550) with only a handful of midweek, off season cars was moto-heaven.  When I die, bury me right there.  And the run from Ouray over to Moab.... almost as good, and basically no cars for 2 hrs, so that’s pretty much a full house right there.  Thank u motorcycle gods for your plentiful bounty...

• Like 5