My New V11 Greenie!

Kane

44 minutes ago, Kane said:

I have discovered that when the front fork is turned all the way to the left, as it is when the bike is parked to lock the fork, the fork tube is touching the end of the tank. It is not denting it but it’s enough to have worn off a spot of paint and left a mark on the fork tube. I guess I will put an adhesive pad there to protect the tank, unless there’s a better idea. Is this common? Can it be remedied?

0871B123-CE85-4EA0-A61E-76295A0ED82E.jpeg

I think they all do it.

There are those who have "dried out" their tank and to try and get it closer to its original shape. I really did not have any luck with that and I can't be sure drying it out might have damaged the internal tubing for the vent and overflow.

When you remove your tank for the Tank Off Maintenance Checklist, be certain it is as empty as possible and have a plan for getting it back on . . .

Spine%20fuel%20tank_zpsrqgxw8sh.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kane said:

(Btw, sorry for using multiple posts to post pics, but the 0.2MB limit is restricting me to one pic per post or else I have to reduce the size of the pic to the size of a postage stamp. Any tips for posting pics?)

Best image hosting site, ever, built by one of our members and someone I trust completely:

imgzeit

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Kane said:

I have discovered that when the front fork is turned all the way to the left, as it is when the bike is parked to lock the fork, the fork tube is touching the end of the tank. It is not denting it but it’s enough to have worn off a spot of paint and left a mark on the fork tube. I guess I will put an adhesive pad there to protect the tank, unless there’s a better idea. Is this common? Can it be remedied?

0871B123-CE85-4EA0-A61E-76295A0ED82E.jpeg

Make sure the tank is venting correctly as this will also happen if its not. Mine is usually about 3mm clearance but recently I had the tank vent hose kinked after install and it interfered. You wont believe how much the tank expands when the vent is blocked.

Ciao

So the tank does stretch from ethanol gas? Yikes. I know that these tanks are not steel, so I guess they react to chemicals. I live in Southern California. My local stations are just your standard brands, and the closest high octane racing gas is not practically close. I was going to ask this any way: what is the best gas in Southern California to use? I know that there are additives you can supplement a tank of gas with....will these help negate the tank’s reaction to ethanol? Or do they really help performance and engine health?

I have read that Shell’s V-Power Nitro + premium gas is ethanol free, but I always figure that California is an exception to any norms that may pertain to internal combustion engines and the fuels they burn. Any recommendations for ,local gas?

4 minutes ago, docc said:

Best image hosting site, ever, built by one of our members and someone I trust completely:

imgzeit

+1 I signed up and have not been disappointed one bit. Once you are used to it, it's a breeze, doing almost all the work for you.

• Thanks 1

What the heck’s going on in that picture? It looks like a lot of man power being exerted! Between that picture and the thread about putting the Guzzi down into a basement for the winter, I guess it takes a village to raise a Guzzi.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Kane said:

So the tank does stretch from ethanol gas? Yikes. I know that these tasks are not steel, so I guess they react to chemicals. I live in Southern California. My local stations are just your standard brands, and the closest high octane racing gas is not practically close. I was going to ask this any way: what is the best gas in Southern California to use? I know that there are additives you can supplement a tank of gas with....will these help negate the tank’s reaction to ethanol? Or do they really help performance and engine health?

I have read that Shell’s V-Power Nitro + premium gas is ethanol free, but I always figure that California is an exception to any norms that may pertain to internal combustion engines and the fuels they burn. Any recommendations for ,local gas?

1 minute ago, Kane said:

What the heck’s going on in that picture? It looks like a lot of man power being exerted! Between that picture and the thread about putting the Guzzi down into a basement for the winter, I guess it takes a village to raise a Guzzi.

The tank had to come that (later model) Sport to fit handmade valve cover gaskets at a South'n Spine Raid a couple years back. That's what it took to get the stretched tank back on.  :o There are other methods in case you don;t have that many enthusiasts when you need them . . .

I like the way my Sport runs on Shell Nitro+, but it is up to 10% ethanol (at least here in the US south).

Not letting the ethanol sit in the tank for long periods is part of the key.  My understanding is that it not the ethanol, per se, but chemical complications (binary azeotropes) that form along with absorption of water that has an affinity for the ethanol. Our tanks are Nylon, so definitely hygroscopic (absorb water).

4 minutes ago, docc said:

....Not letting the ethanol sit in the tank for long periods is part of the key.  My understanding is that it not the ethanol, per se, but chemical complications (binary azeotropes) that form along with absorption of water that has an affinity for the ethanol. Our tanks are Nylon, so definitely hygroscopic (absorb water).

Well my chemistry is a little rusty, but would this mean either burning up the gas quickly, or use smaller amounts, to reduce the time the ethanol sits in the tank, and also keeping a tank rather full to avoid too much air in the tank, assuming that the water you mention comes from water vapor in the air?

18 minutes ago, Kane said:

Well my chemistry is a little rusty, but would this mean either burning up the gas quickly, or use smaller amounts, to reduce the time the ethanol sits in the tank, and also keeping a tank rather full to avoid too much air in the tank, assuming that the water you mention comes from water vapor in the air?

Yeah, bud, like Lowryter sez, "Just ride it" . . .