Touring on a V11 Sport

Kane

2 hours ago, Kane said:

Very nice. What is the fairing? Is that the Magni?

Omars Dirt Track racing 1/4 for 8" headlight:

https://www.omarsfiberglass.com/fairings

I've since converted to handlebars. The Omars fairing requires different clip-ons, I got some from Woodcraft with 2" rise

OsUM853.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Reviving an old thread. 

I had a 1200 Sport for about 6 years and the cafe windscreen was fine

I am currently looking at a Lemans but wont be able to ride it before buying. For those round 6 feet what has been your experience with the fairing on it?

I'm 6 feet tall. You can tuck behind the LeMans fairing and get into calm air, but sitting upright it gives you a little more wind at the helmet than the fly-screen (as on a Scura). Adding a lip would be nice for sitting up at distances, but the extra wind is not extreme or annoying - if you ride with earplugs it's barely noticeable.

• Thanks 1

Remember the first time I ducked down behind the fairing while going fast.  It was all so quiet and strangely dreamlike, not real.  Then I imagined the broken leg would feel very real if I did not concentrate.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

@dbarb3

I am 6' too.

The Le Mans fairing is surprisingly effective; without lowering my torso to hid behind the cupola.

The wind draft still hits the top of your helmet though, it did affect me at the beginning, but I am fine now. I must have built some neck strength.

My biggest gripe is the wind noise in my helmet. I do not wear ear plugs, or in ear audio that would reduce my awareness on the road. My Shark Helmet is supposed to be reasonably "silent", even if not the best in this department. After my latest outing, about six hours of effective riding, I experienced Tinnitus. I have to admit that it may not be entirely related to Motorcycle riding. I also have played electric guitar for a long part of my life....

• Like 1

Decibullz are a very good alternative - they are more effective than standard plugs given they have a pressure column that reduces that "dead" zone with standard plugs.  Have been using these now for several years, before that Silicone swimmer's plugs, which are also moldable and soft, both are very good for avoiding that pain/pressure that comes from having the helmet press on the plug.

https://www.decibullz.com/hearing-protection/

As smooth as the air is on the Scura, I couldn't ride several hours w/o earplugs, I think it would be painful with the wind noise.

After my latest outing, about six hours of effective riding, I experienced Tinnitus. I have to admit that it may not be entirely related to Motorcycle riding. I also have played electric guitar for a long part of my life....

That is your wake up call. I have a medical condition called "deaf as a post." :oldgit: Hearing loss *is* cumulative. The early onset of tinnitus is a red flag saying what you are doing is too loud for too long. It caused *some* hearing damage. If you keep it up, the tinnitus never goes away. Trust me on this.. your hearing will continue to degrade over time, too. Wear hearing protection on a bike. Always. It's not the mechanical or exhaust, it's the roar of wind that does it.

Years of industrial noise, motorcycles, airplanes, loud music, shooting, have done it for me. The good news is my latest pair of hearing aides are awesome. They bluetooth to my phone, TV, etc. I can actually hear again, and don't have to nod and smile a lot.. As good a "normal" hearing? No. Make that Hell no.

Ok, off the soapbox. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Chuck said:

That is your wake up call. I have a medical condition called "deaf as a post." :oldgit: Hearing loss *is* cumulative. The early onset of tinnitus is a red flag saying what you are doing is too loud for too long. It caused *some* hearing damage. If you keep it up, the tinnitus never goes away. Trust me on this.. your hearing will continue to degrade over time, too. Wear hearing protection on a bike. Always. It's not the mechanical or exhaust, it's the roar of wind that does it.

Years of industrial noise, motorcycles, airplanes, loud music, shooting, have done it for me. The good news is my latest pair of hearing aides are awesome. They bluetooth to my phone, TV, etc. I can actually hear again, and don't have to nod and smile a lot.. As good a "normal" hearing? No. Make that Hell no.

Ok, off the soapbox. :)

It is a given that the noisier an activity, the more enjoyment is realized. No jokes, please.

13 hours ago, p6x said:

After my latest outing, about six hours of effective riding, I experienced Tinnitus. I have to admit that it may not be entirely related to Motorcycle riding. I also have played electric guitar for a long part of my life....

For years I was one of those guys that rarely(aka never, lol) used eye, hand or ear protection, but over 20 yrs ago when I got serious about my music,which includes my guitar, that changed for me.

I'm doing what I can to protect and preserve what I've got. For my ears depending on the machinery I'm using, I've got a variety of muffs and on my bikes I always use some type of little silicon ? ear plugs I picked up at a safety supply store, iirc "ear softs" ?