This Place Is a Genius Idea!

Kane

Just want to give a round of applause to whomever came up with the genius idea for this forum and started it. Having a forum dedicated to this one design, the spine frame V11, out of the long Guzzi line is brilliant. The focus and concentration on the V11 bikes creates much more depth and rich content for those of us lucky and savvy enough to ride these beauties than we could find on a more generalized Guzzi forum (less is more!). Hats off to the founder of this forum! Whoever you are, I don’t know, but you done good, mate!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

By popular request ^_^

I bought a red/gray V11 Le Mans when it came out in 2001. I thought it was the most beautiful bike I've ever seen. My sales person at TLM gave me the idea to start a world-wide internet forum on the V11 series. I claimed the domain name, and just started. It took off quite rapidly. And a few members from the beginning are still active today, 18 years later!
Apart from a couple of members who pissed me and others off, this collective of individualists has become part of my life. The friendly tone of voice, the patience and helpfullness still convince me to go on, even though I don't own a V11 anymore. (1200 Sport)
I've met some really great people through this forum and some of them became real friends. And I hope that goes for a lot of other members too!

A special word of thanks to Docc, who helped me out through the years and kept me going when I was fed up with moderating an troubleshooting.:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 7

Cheers to "all-y'all!" :drink:

Like Jaap, many of you have become great friends and part of my life.

Thanks, Kane, for instantly seeing that this place is not "typical" for the inter'web experience.

Personally, I cannot thank :notworthy:  Jaap Veldhorst enough for tolerating our antics,  interactions, and struggles while keeping pace with web needs and requirements for almost two decades. :thumbsup:  That is unheard of in the cyber-world!  That and best > emojis < in the business!  :thing:

Ok, "I apologize for this in advance" . . .

• Haha 2

We have had Guzzi's since the wife bought her red frame sport new back around 2000. But I did not find this place until 2007, when I switched from working in the field to working in an office. Having time to spend on the internet, I was happy to find a place with so much knowledge about the V11. It is beautiful, but support for it locally is horrible. What a wealth of information this place is.

Over the years, there really has only been one person that tested my patience. But I would imagine I have tested Jaap's patience here and there. So I guess I should say thanks, Jaap, for putting up with me.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, GuzziMoto said:

...I was happy to find a place with so much knowledge about the V11. It is beautiful, but support for it locally is horrible. What a wealth of information this place is.

Was a place in Seattle called Moto International. They were the gurus of Guzzi. Then the owner retired and the building was shut up. Nothing at all for several years, except to ride/trailer to Portland, Oregon, 180 miles (270km or so) distant. Unacceptable! Now we have an "official" Seattle-area Guzzi dealership, but I doubt they've ever had their hands on a V11. So, the collective genius of the membership sustains us locals.

• Like 2

As representative of the oily uneducated apes that frequent this forum (and who internally cringe when the ‘shaved apes’ and ‘damn bodgers’ phrases roll out) I have to also add my eternal thanks.  We do try, we hope to understand, I dare say some of us endeavour to treat our wonderful machines with the care they deserve!  But the level of knowledge freely given clearly represents many years of patient learning and expertise.  

I’ve said it before, and i’ll Say it again: This forum’s ace. Much love to you all.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Mikko said:

That’s really been the thorn in Guzzi’s side. Incompetent dealerships, like Flying Tiger in St. Louis. I’ve filed a BBB complaint against them and depending on how that pans out, the next step is legal action. 

Luckily, the V11 is not laden with a bunch of techno-crap. They are the last of the old fashioned bikes. Not impossible to work on yourself. Major items like engine and trans can be sent away to experts.

Be careful who you trust to work on your bike, if they are not familiar with it.. find another place. I am surprised that Piaggio hasn’t revamped the way they authorize dealerships.

Then again, this isn’t exclusively a Guzzi problem. I had my share of problems with my local Ducati dealer. Since then, a big corporate outfit now owns them and Guzzi. Still won’t go there because they have no experience with a V11 and I’m not paying some millennial to learn how with my baby being the test subject.

I’ll spin my own wrench’s....

That's the dealer in St Louis where Kevin bought his Eldorado?  After 600 miles it was in the shop for three months while they screwed around and wouldn't order the demand sensor?

So far as legacy bikes, I wouldn't consider getting one repaired at a new dealer unless they had been a reputable repair and service shop prior.  

:race::luigi:   :nerd:    Yep, the World's Foremost Expert on the V11 Moto Guzzi are us!    :nerd:   :luigi::race:

I know for a fact that there are current Guzzi technicians relying on this site for reputable guidance to make reliable repairs efficiently on the V11 series. :thumbsup:

Most forums cannot be used efficiently because of their formatting and the topics can wander maniacally.

We have Jaap to thank for the > Technical < focus of these forums. There is a place for everything that has evolved over time, yet we remain, largely, on purpose.

That's not to say we don't know how to have a good time! :thing::grin:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/15/2019 at 1:58 AM, gstallons said:

It is a great forum with some very intelligent people . 

This place survives despite my input.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, po18guy said:

Was a place in Seattle called Moto International. They were the gurus of Guzzi. Then the owner retired and the building was shut up. Nothing at all for several years, except to ride/trailer to Portland, Oregon, 180 miles (270km or so) distant. Unacceptable! Now we have an "official" Seattle-area Guzzi dealership, but I doubt they've ever had their hands on a V11. So, the collective genius of the membership sustains us locals.

Rick and his team down here have had their own troubles with Piaggio, even threatening to quit at least once. We're lucky there are any dealers in the PNW at all!