Fork threads differences?

stewgnu

So I realised why the new caps sent with my andreani kit wouldn’t screw on- the thread pitch doesn’t match the stanchions....

Have I been sent a kit for the Ohlins forks by mistake I wonder? 

Bit of a long shot but can anyone confirm whether the stanchions (marzy + ohlins) have differing threads?

Also, if I were to obtain the correct caps for the marzy tubes, would the internals still be suitable for them (lengths etc)?

I went from excited to unhappy rather quickly as i’m sure you can all imagine!

• Confused 1

Guys, can I get a second opinion on this!?

I sent a photo of my marzy caps next to the new ones (there are finer threads on the new ones).  I’m pretty certain I know i’v Got Marzocchi forks.

The suppliers sent me this message:

We did check your photos in Andreani and they told us that your forks are adjustable they are not the standard Marzocchi versions but it is likely that you have a special version eg. Öhlins.
We have two solutions to solve the problem that I am going to inform you
1 - Andreani you build the cap with 1.5 thread like yours, but before doing this having a special version we ask you to do all the tests for the assembly and that everything corresponds to 100% example: stroke, dimensions, length etc. .. you need to do a fitting test without the cap.
2 - you send us your forks and we give them to Andreani in this way they build you cartridges tailor-made for your forks and fit them, and we send them back to you completely ok the only cost you have is shipping that you will have to do, and € 30 for the delivery of the forks to you.

Nice of them to offer to sort for the cost of shipping but, personally, i’m still confused as to what’s gone awry...

On 10/16/2019 at 2:58 PM, Mikko said:

Did you buy this bike new? Could you post pictures? I find it a little hard to believe someone  would fit a set of Öhlins and have them stripped and anodized silver. 

More then likely they screwed up and are now trying to dazzle you will bullshit. Or, a previous owner had the tubes threaded for some wild cartridge kit? Again I think not.

Please post some pictures...I don’t understand why they are making this harder then it needs to be.

I just looked and you are in the U.K. Have you tried talking with 

https://www.maxtonsuspension.co.uk/mobile/index.htm ?

They are quite competent and should straighten you out in no time. I contacted them about building a set of forks for my Magni MV. 

This is what I would recommend:

https://www.maxtonsuspension.co.uk/mobile/files/gp30.htm

He didnt say his bike has Ohlins forks.

Ciao

On 10/15/2019 at 11:59 PM, stewgnu said:

So I realised why the new caps sent with my andreani kit wouldn’t screw on- the thread pitch doesn’t match the stanchions....

Have I been sent a kit for the Ohlins forks by mistake I wonder? 

Bit of a long shot but can anyone confirm whether the stanchions (marzy + ohlins) have differing threads?

Also, if I were to obtain the correct caps for the marzy tubes, would the internals still be suitable for them (lengths etc)?

I went from excited to unhappy rather quickly as i’m sure you can all imagine!

I was looking at this

Ciao

2 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

I suspect the early greeny forks and the later non Ohlins equipped bikes had different forks and caps.

Ciao 

Agreed, the early RedFrames differ. Even the rare Silveries and Blackies . . . ;)

8 minutes ago, stewgnu said:

Some correctly threaded capalatas should be winging their way my way soon. Hooray!

What were the details? different forks early to late? or just different caps?

Ciao 

Don’t know Phil, i’d assumed my bike had the standard marzi forks.  Black stanchions, silver caps, gold r/c adjusters.  The new cap threads were 1mm pitch, while mine were 1.5mm, which was why I wondered about the Ohlins version.  Anyway, andreani are putting together some 1.5mm threaded caps for me so hopefully soon be getting some crisp, autumn rides in 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

Stewgnu, can you post the link to those replacement cartidges you just installed ?

Have you had a chance to try them out properly ? I heard it's been a wet Autumn.

Is this the syle of fork cap you have ?

IMG_1102.JPG

Hey up Nobleswood, yes they are the original caps I had.

I actually sourced the new kit thru uk ebay, the suppliers were an Italian company: Sestamarcia Racing Parts. I think they’re based in Rimini.  Despite having the initial problems, they were very helpful in rectifying the issue.  Good communication, and in English, so I don’t see why you couldn’t contact them directly.

I’ve put about 50 miles on the new kit so far, yesterday was purrfect.  The lack of dive is most noticeable and they feel tight, yet ‘supple’ somehow.  The brakes feel ace too now for some reason!

• Like 1