V11 Lemans Tie Down Lift Points

80CX100

Normally on my guzzis once I get them up on the lift table I secure them with tie downs anchored side to side, Front & back.

If I'm planning to remove the wheels, I'll tie them off the same way, but also put them up on the center stand and use a scissor jack to get the front wheel high enough to remove.

Due to the plastic on the V11 Lemans, I'm having a very tough time getting good secure spots to tie it down, and without a center stand the weight seems too far back and as I raise it on the scissor jack under the sump, it feels like the bike wants to flip over backwards.

The manual describes placing a jack stand under the swing arm to hold it up, but that is covered with a flimsy looking plastic trim piece.

Is there a simple method of tying it down and lifting it securely that I'm missing, or do you have to start removing plastic trim pieces to do that.

I did a couple of searches and wasn't finding much info on it.

tia

Kelly

if you have access to rafters, I have used ratchet straps to tie off above, and suspend the bike. also, if you've not done it, removing the fairing is easier than one might think. that puts it out of the way and safe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, footgoose said:

if you have access to rafters, I have used ratchet straps to tie off above, and suspend the bike. also, if you've not done it, removing the fairing is easier than one might think. that puts it out of the way and safe.

Very interesting; as I go through the bike, I'm beginning to distrust anything the previous owner said or did. One thing I know he did do, is remove/reinstall the fairing, that'll give me a good opportunity to verify that work.

Any tips or tricks to getting the fairing off? I learned about Suzki's magical plastic fastening system on my Vstrom AFTER I broke a few figuring out how they worked, ignorance isn't bliss,lol.

I don't have access to rafters, but because I have to crab a frame on another bike at some point, I've already considered attaching some type of overhead rigging frame to my lift table.

If you suspend the bike from above, where would you attach to the rear of the bike, remove the seat and use the upper frame rails? or would you hook into the frame around the rear foot pegs or side plates?

Where would you attach at the front, fork tubes under the triple clamp? or down around the front frame down tubes near the header pipes?

Tks very much for the info

Kelly

11 hours ago, footgoose said:

Removing the fairing is a piece of cake. You can tie it down with Canyon Dancers, or some such if you don't want to remove it. Using the work stand lets you remove the rear wheel. To remove the front, put the rear in the vise on your lift.. you *do* have one, don't you.. tie it down in back and raise the front with a jack under the pan.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Admin Jaap said:

Is it possible to tie it down from the cylinders?

Now that is thinking outside the box, but I like it.

I usually like to tie my bikes down, in such a way, that if want to start it up at the end I don't have to worry about heat touching my straps, but I definitely could make it secure wrapping straps around the cylinders when it's cold.

Tks very much

Kelly

3 hours ago, Chuck said:

Removing the fairing is a piece of cake. You can tie it down with Canyon Dancers, or some such if you don't want to remove it. Using the work stand lets you remove the rear wheel. To remove the front, put the rear in the vise on your lift.. you *do* have one, don't you.. tie it down in back and raise the front with a jack under the pan.

I have a set of those Canyon Dancer straps that the PO graciously donated, it was the only way I could secure the bike in the wheel chock to get it home, they work well when the wheels are on the bike and sitting down on the table, with the front wheel in the vise; the problem, and it's one I've always struggled with, is transitioning to a secure position so I can remove both wheels to change the tires.

Once I get the front wheel up in the air to remove it, those handlebar straps flop around way too much for my liking, fwiw.

I've done the reverse the bike move to lock the rear wheel in the vise, which works well if I'm only taking the front wheel off, but something I've always struggled with, is that transition to secure it to enable both wheels to be removed, especially for tire changes.

I've been through the experience of having a bike fall off the lift once, thankfully only at floor level, so I'm very gun shy at this point, I double, triple check every step of the way now.

I think that Jaap's suggestion of strapping the cylinders (cold) and the scissor jack, will get me to where I want to be.

Tks to everyone for passing on their knowledge and suggestions.

Kelly 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Chuck said:

Using the work stand lets you remove the rear wheel.

Hey Chuck,    I'm interested in what you mean by using a work stand to remove the rear wheel.

I was shocked how rear biased the weight seemed to be on the bike when I had it up with the scissor jack under sump.

As I attempted to pull out the rear wheel drop plate on my lift, I could feel the bike really trying to drop down in that hole. I was lucky to get the plate back in and avert disaster.

I think securing the cylinders and scissor jack under the sump will work, but I'd love to have some real support under the rearward portion of the bike, rather than just depend on the cantilever effect of the straps pulling down in front of the jack, if I could mcgyver something.

Kelly

4 hours ago, 80CX100 said:

I think securing the cylinders and scissor jack under the sump will work, but I'd love to have some real support under the rearward portion of the bike, rather than just depend on the cantilever effect of the straps pulling down in front of the jack, if I could mcgyver something.

---

Scissor jack under the sump, some wooden blocks under the sideplates and then strap it down from the cylinders. And as an extra safety measure a strap over the saddle. (use padding) They do that on some ferries too. If you have it set up, show us a pic!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Admin Jaap said:

Scissor jack under the sump, some wooden blocks under the sideplates and then strap it down from the cylinders. And as an extra safety measure a strap over the saddle. (use padding) They do that on some ferries too. If you have it set up, show us a pic!

Tks Jaap, Wood blocks should do it, I love the voice of experience.

Due to time constraints, I'm abandoning plans to change the tires this fall, and am just going to get new fluids in the bike and hopefully get a few rides in before I set it up for the winter.

I will make sure to update this post later with photos, so there is a record in case others are looking for the same solution.

tks very much

Kelly

• Like 1