Puking Oil Everywhere

swooshdave

Ok, some many more of a drip than a puke.

After I installed the Roper Plate and refilled the engine with oil I think I have done it wrong. I check the oil level when the bike was upright on the bench. I suspect that you are suppose to check it when it's on the side stand.

I assume the oil is coming from the breather? I've never dug into the breather system.

No, better check the oil upright. Too much oil is no problem as long as you don't rev the bike in Super Sports mode and as long as the rest of the engine, rings and pistons, are ok. And they are ok on a V11. The breather exhales into the airbox, plenty of room there.

You probably made another fault I'd say.

• Like 1

I reviewed your video before I installed my Roper plate and couldn't tell if you used two flange gaskets (01 00 36 50), - one on both sides of the Roper plate.

Also, when I installed my plate last week, I noticed that the screws that held the flange to the crankcase had a coating on them that I could peel off.  When I looked further, 8 of these cap screws thread into crankcase  holes that are not blind but open to the outside.  In other words, if these Allen screws are not sealed, you could have oil running up the threads to the outside of the engine on both sides.  I used Permatex's  Indian heal shellac on mine.

Frank

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frank said:

I reviewed your video before I installed my Roper plate and couldn't tell if you used two flange gaskets (01 00 36 50), - one on both sides of the Roper plate.

Also, when I installed my plate last week, I noticed that the screws that held the flange to the crankcase had a coating on them that I could peel off.  When I looked further, 8 of these cap screws thread into crankcase  holes that are not blind but open to the outside.  In other words, if these Allen screws are not sealed, you could have oil running up the threads to the outside of the engine on both sides.  I used Permatex's  Indian heal shellac on mine.

Frank

Yes, one on each side of the plate.

17 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Whats the source of the oil leak? The engine breaths into the spine frame and from there into the airbox. Any oil that ends up in the spine drains back to the rear of the sump via a line.

Ciao

I assumed that the spine had an overflow and that's where the oil was coming from.

Sounds like I actually need to look closer.

Went out for a ride on Saturday with the Norton club, so I can't actually remember the last time I rode the Guzzi. Riding season is quickly coming to a close. It was 29F this morning.

• 2 months later...

I think I found the source of the dripping. Some bonehead didn’t tighten down the drain plug after taking a bunch of stuff apart.

LhrFPpL.jpg

I’ll check it tomorrow to see if that was it. With snow in the forecast it’s all immaterial at this point.

• Like 1