Center stands and lower seat

guzis3

Hi all,

I have just registered. I've been reading as much as I could find on the forum and have searched on these questions but I've never been very good at internet searches. The section on model variants was terribly helpful although it is a pity some photos wouldn't load.

I have a couple of rattly old guzzis and have been considering buying a later bike. I had an 1100 sport (96, carb) but had to let it go because it was just too tall. I remember when the V11 green/red came out and thought at the time they might fit me a tad better than the sport. I fitted an aftermarket center stand to the sport because really guzzis side stands don't even qualify as decoration..

So I was wondering if anyone had either made an aftermarket stand for the V11 or tried to fit a norge or similar guzzi unit ?

Also I recall there was a lower seat for the norge and possibly breva. I was wondering if anyone had explored the possibilities for the V11 ?

I've been looking at local ads but would be happy to learn of bikes for sale in Australia and particularly near me here in brisbane.

Thank you for reading.

• Like 1

There was a factory centre stand for the V11 but you rarely see one for sale and when you do they want good money for them. I think they also had interference issues with the exhaust collector from memory. The major problem with the V11 with regards to shorter riders is more the seat width than the height I think.

Others might have better perspective though as I'm 6'2'' tall.

Ciao

26 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

There was a factory centre stand for the V11 but you rarely see one for sale and when you do they want good money for them. I think they also had interference issues with the exhaust collector from memory. The major problem with the V11 with regards to shorter riders is more the seat width than the height I think.

Others might have better perspective though as I'm 6'2'' tall.

Ciao

Quite right. V11 Sports are known for quite good cornering clearance. Thus, one could reduce rear pre-load or go to a shorter spring, plus raise the forks in the triples to gain a bit. A good upholstery shop might be able to carve the seat foam and provide a lower or narrower seat. My Ballabio came with an aftermarket center stand, but it is poorly engineered. There is no tab or arm extending with which to apply some foot leverage, and the pivot is about 2"-3" too low, so that the bike must be lifted vertically as much as rearward. Not good with 500+ pounds and a twice operated on lumbar spine. It works acceptably only if the rear tire is up on the narrow side of a 2X4.

Thank you very much for the replies.

How does the seat compare with the norge ? I sat on a friend's norge years ago and while it is the same height on paper as the 1100 sport it was far more manageable.

Norges are not sought after here and are similar price to a Breva 1100, but I have heard over and over that the 1200 engine is more trouble than the earlier bikes. I like the look of the norge and of course it comes with a stand, but I do prefer naked bikes. I would think a V11 is more exciting to ride...

That there was a stand is good news. If I can locate one somewhere I can copy it, and maybe improve the engineering. I love making people's eyes get big when I hoist my round barrel bikes onto their stands without using my hands at all. That center stand was superbly engineered, making up for the hopeless joke that is the side stand :D

Gotta love guzzi, 2 steps forward...

I've had both, and seat height is similar. The V11S doesn't feel as top heavy, though. If it were me, I'd get the V11 and make the seat narrower in front.

I feel compelled to add that there is nothing wrong with the V11's side stand. A center stand is nice for shop work, but there are a number of stand options that also fulfill that role. I don't think we have ever wished the wife's V11 had a center stand, although some do like having one. To us it is simply something that would drag when she is going around corners. That isn't helpful.

My wife is on the shorter side, being a typical female and all. And while she can't flat foot the V11 she does fine with it. Turning down the rear preload, dropping the forks through the triple clamps a little, that helps. But the nature of the Guzzi with the sideways V gives it a decent balance for such a heavy bike.

If I wanted to lower my V11 LM I might look at a shorter shock and have a local seat maker whip me up something.  But I do agree that width is an issue.

I friend has a lowering link on his Norge as well as the low seat.  It's probably lower than  v11.  i

• Like 1

9 hours ago, milar said:

If I wanted to lower my V11 LM I might look at a shorter shock and have a local seat maker whip me up something.  But I do agree that width is an issue.

I friend has a lowering link on his Norge as well as the low seat.  It's probably lower than  v11.  i

A shock with length adjustment would be near ideal, as it would retain all of its travel and damping qualities. Then sliding the forks up a bit combined with a few seat mods would probably do the trick rather nicely. Moving up from a 400lb 500cc bike was quite a change for me, but the V11 carries its weight fairly low. Slightly clumsy at say 0-5mph, it quickly stabilizes and is enormously satisfying to ride your favorite twisty roads on. Now, my 500 has cheap suspension, but the V11 transitions from left-right more quickly and more precisely. That's what a real frame and real suspension do, I'm told. :D

• 9 months later...

But a centre stand is a real plus and (as long as the return spring isn't floppy) they don't drag at road speeds

SIde stands also drag.....If you are racing 

Side stands are ok for short stops and more stable on boggy ground - that is all

A centre stand allows you to: load the bike easily, fill it full of fuel, park it in a tight space, clean it properly (rotating the wheels), change tyres, service brakes, change hydraulic fluids (because the bike is vertical) etc etc

I've got a centre stand fitted to my RM that i brought from a guy in Florida. Its not a Guzzi part. I believe TLM hand them made. Anyway its very hard to use as its got no way of levering the bike. You have to chock the left hand leg with your foot then lift the bike on to the stand. Very hard on the back

1 hour ago, cash1000 said:

I've got a centre stand fitted to my RM that i brought from a guy in Florida. Its not a Guzzi part. I believe TLM hand them made. Anyway its very hard to use as its got no way of levering the bike. You have to chock the left hand leg with your foot then lift the bike on to the stand. Very hard on the back

Sounds like the unit that same on my Ballabio. It's too short and the pivot is too close to the ground. Thus, you have to lift the bike about 2" until the stand goes over center. Hernia time. I roll the rear tire onto a flat 2X4 and that raises it just enough to be somewhat more easily deployed.

• Thanks 1

On 8/10/2020 at 7:35 PM, lcjohnny said:

But a centre stand is a real plus and (as long as the return spring isn't floppy) they don't drag at road speeds

SIde stands also drag.....If you are racing 

Side stands are ok for short stops and more stable on boggy ground - that is all

A centre stand allows you to: load the bike easily, fill it full of fuel, park it in a tight space, clean it properly (rotating the wheels), change tyres, service brakes, change hydraulic fluids (because the bike is vertical) etc etc

Welcome to the forum.

I have / had bikes with center stands and bikes without. Each has its advantages. But for the V11, with its good ground clearance and handling that can take advantage of said ground clearance, anything that reduces ground clearance (like a center stand) is a bad idea for us. But to each their own.