1100 Sport/V11 sidestands

Pressureangle

How many different V11 models share the sidestand leg with 1100 Sport-i? 

One thing on the long list is the possibility of manufacturing new, sturdier and possibly relocated sidestand brackets. Recently someone stated their leg was broken off in shipping; my own stand has the foot nearly worn off, and I extended the leg a bit by drilling and tapping a bolt into the bottom of the foot. Not a pretty solution. 
So then, since brackets are already in my mind, what could be the demand for the leg itself? Perhaps if it was 1/4", 1/2" longer? Opinions?
We have a military-grade aluminum forge nearby, with what I think is fantastic pricing- that is, on things they already have dies for- and their minimum order is 400. That's a lot of legs.
What's the thought on having new ones made? Or is it better just to find a suitable replacement somewhere and make it work?

There’s a few universal side stands online, would require ordering a couple and experimenting.....

Or, any form and shape, a piece of alu and a good welder. Polishing is optionnal.
Cheers tom 5be5ac577f7f4b8f38ad6070f03cfec0.jpg

Sent fra min SM-G903F via Tapatalk

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, stewgnu said:

Heh! Wish I had the balls to lean mine that far!  ... maybe next summer when i’ve gotten used to the new suspension...

After the suspension work on my Sport, which increased the rear ride height and spec'd the springs for my weight, my sidestand has never touched down again.

@Pressureangle - How different is all the bracketry, or the stand itself, between the 1100 Sport-i and the V11? (AFAIK, all V11 stands are the same.)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, docc said:

After the suspension work on my Sport, which increased the rear ride height and spec'd the springs for my weight, my sidestand has never touched down again.

@Pressureangle - How different is all the bracketry, or the stand itself, between the 1100 Sport-i and the V11? (AFAIK, all V11 stands are the same.)

I do know docc that the V11 stand bracket has the additional 6mm bolt securing it to the sump extension. Daytonas dont have this and I suspect the 1100 Sports dont either because they weren't fitted with the wide sump. If you fit an aftermarket extended sump then you cant use this smaller bolt. Paul Minnaert runs his bike with the std Daytona stand bracket and extended sump from memory.

Paul might like to chime in with details.

Ciao   

7 hours ago, stewgnu said:

Heh! Wish I had the balls to lean mine that far!  ... maybe next summer when i’ve gotten used to the new suspension...

Or you can just get off the side of the bike more in corners which will allows the bike to turn with less lean angle.

Ciao

6 hours ago, docc said:

I'm not at all sure. I saw a couple different versions at the SSR.

14 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

I do know docc that the V11 stand bracket has the additional 6mm bolt securing it to the sump extension. Daytonas dont have this and I suspect the 1100 Sports dont either because they weren't fitted with the wide sump. If you fit an aftermarket extended sump then you cant use this smaller bolt. Paul Minnaert runs his bike with the std Daytona stand bracket and extended sump from memory.

Paul might like to chime in with details.

Ciao   

Sport injected is wide sump with additional 6mm bolt.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Pressureangle said:

Sport injected is wide sump with additional 6mm bolt.

I know the main, larger fastener is to be torqued to 75 NM and both the fasteners often get neglected. The V11 set-up, although very Rube Goldberg, is the easiest to use of the SpineFrame stands, but an Achille's Heal if the stand breaks the sump spacer.

DSCN2894.jpg

Is this the same configuration as the 1100 Sport-i wide sump?

• Like 1

On 11/5/2019 at 7:29 PM, docc said:

I know the main, larger fastener is to be torqued to 75 NM and both the fasteners often get neglected. The V11 set-up, although very Rube Goldberg, is the easiest to use of the SpineFrame stands, but an Achille's Heal if the stand breaks the sump spacer.

DSCN2894.jpg

Is this the same configuration as the 1100 Sport-i wide sump?

Thanks for that great shot, Docc.
My '97 Sport-i is wide sump and has the same basic design as this photo, BUT they've corrected a flaw. Mine, where the 6mm bolt passes through the bracket has a broached flat for the head, leaving a hard machined corner right in the angle behind the bolt head. Here, they've raised the boss for the bolt and spot-faced, keeping the forging intact. If this bracket is available, I'll upgrade mine as I verified that it was cracking and welded a repair. The leg itself, though, is still short and mine has only the short nub to deploy it. The obvious answer here is just to install later V11 parts. If they're available, and not prohibitively expensive. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1