Oil pressure at idle?

sp838

Hello all. Today among other things I finally installed a handle bar mounted oil pressure gauge. I'd designed, 3D printed and installed the mounting hardware a while ago but didn't get around to plumbing it in until now. The pressure at idle is just above 60 psi. Oil was cold, didn't really let it warm up much further than this, was just testing it out. Does that seem correct? I'll take her out for a spin and see what it says when she's at running temp. I have fresh Amsoil 20w50 in there.

large.AC9CC3C3-D053-4850-9608-681CE7715B81.jpeg 

• Like 2

60's good but to be expected with cold oil. The OPRV crack pressure is somewhere around 60 so it's working. When it's warm you'll find at idle it's really low but as long as it doesn't drop below about 40 when you're motoring in hot weather you'll be fine.

pete

• Thanks 2

Thanks Pete! And now I just remembered I owe you some RAM clutch friction plate measurements... I'm so sorry, I spaced it out. Will get you those by tomorrow, promised. 🙏

Lovely,

When the oil temp will heat up the pressure will drop like Pete said.  You’ll have to keep an eye out for oil temp now that you have eliminated the oil cooler.  Are you planing on riding in the city/normal riding or racing the bike?

Did you tap the oil supply banjo bolt or purchase a double one?

Liking the bracket !

kosta

It can drop right down to 10 PSI or less while idling hot but should sit around 60 at 2,000 revs.

I had a gauge mounted on the steering damper bracket, you can hard pipe it there with copper. You also get full pressure from either of the head oil lines.

What really gets your attention is the pressure dropping to zero under acceleration if you let the level get too low on the dipstick.

If you don't run a Roper plate you must have a gauge IMHO, the light would likely not catch that event like a gauge.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...