Gear Oil change causes leaks

gkaan

I decided to change the gear oil on my new to me 2000 V11 Sport.  The draining went well aided by a home made funnel.  While adding the new gear oil it started leaking profusely.  What is going on here?

The gear oil is redline heavy:

https://photos.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Moto-Guzzi-V11-Sport/i-vf4TF75/0/56ba2fc0/S/IMG_20191110_122508-S.jpg

IMG_20191110_122508-S.jpg

I added it here:

https://photos.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Moto-Guzzi-V11-Sport/i-kdwshCf/0/e4acf26a/S/IMG_20191110_122548-S.jpg

IMG_20191110_122548-S.jpg

And this is the leak.  I noticed it ASAP above the oil drain plug and it appears all i added has leaked.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Moto-Guzzi-V11-Sport/i-gz9khfg/0/3cce1c36/L/IMG_20191110_122449-L.jpg

IMG_20191110_122449-L.jpg

What I am doing wrong? 

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, gkaan said:

Oh no.  I guess my clutch is screwed?  

:doh:

If you haven't run the engine it's fine. Just flush the clutch compartment out with mineral spirits. You can plug the drain hole with a little piece of wood or plastic, then add a quart of spirits, wobble around as much as you can for a minute and drain it. What little lube stays stuck will be absorbed in the dust and be covered by new dust. 
Worst possible case is you find it's invaded the friction surfaces (shouldn't have, really, unless you pulled the clutch lever while the compartment was full) and you have to change the clutch, which is your only other option now anyway. Give it a shot.
BTW, the hole you're looking into is for timing the engine. There are flywheel marks to use with a timing light.

• Like 2

Thanks Guzzisti....i havent pulled the clutch or started the engine.  OK dumb question(s).  Are you suggesting pouring the mineral spirits into the timing hole and then shake the bike?  Which drain hole should I plug? 

2 hours ago, gkaan said:

Thanks Guzzisti....i havent pulled the clutch or started the engine.  OK dumb question(s).  Are you suggesting pouring the mineral spirits into the timing hole and then shake the bike?  Which drain hole should I plug? 

The drain hole is an elongated slot where the oil is running out. I'll have to admit that I had a laugh when I saw the pictures. Sorry. :D You are *not* the first, though. It'll be ok. Do what Pressureangle says. Maybe a little over a quart of mineral spirits..

• Like 1

Be sure you fill the gearbox before starting the bike . To be safe , add fluid through the glass sight plug after removing sight plug with a hex socket .  

You can flush the clutch cavity as much as you want . I would use at lest one can of Brake-Kleen  spraying into the clutch housing .

4 hours ago, gstallons said:

Be sure you fill the gearbox before starting the bike . To be safe , add fluid through the glass sight plug after removing sight plug with a hex socket .  

You can flush the clutch cavity as much as you want . I would use at lest one can of Brake-Kleen  spraying into the clutch housing .

Hmm........I've never even considered doing this and now I do consider it I'm thinking "why would I". Cant really see any advantage and plenty of disadvantage.

Ciao

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Hmm........I've never even considered doing this and now I do consider it I'm thinking "why would I". Cant really see any advantage and plenty of disadvantage.

Ciao

Hmmm . To be sure the installer adds the oil into the gearbox and NOWHERE else ?

Um, yeah, add gear oil through the upper fill point behind the speedo driver. 

BrakeKleen, and other solvents,  will likely recover the mistake pouring oil into the clutch space.

Removing the starter motor gives even better access to that space to clean it out.

On 11/13/2019 at 3:23 AM, gstallons said:

Hmmm . To be sure the installer adds the oil into the gearbox and NOWHERE else ?

Well...there is a better way to be certain you're adding it to the correct space. Owner's manual, YouTube, maybe somebody here has a relevant photo and can add an arrow?

Well to be fair, I remember my first guzzi and as I was getting familiar with it, I looked at the plug for the timing hole and figured that was where the tranny oil must go. 

Luckily I did rtfm, and I got the oil in the right place, but I thought at the time, I'm sure that others have made the same mistaken assumption, there's probably been a few out there, they're just being shy,lol.

I've done the Varsol flush before on my CalVin for a slipping clutch problem, worked like a charm, my best ever mcgyver fix.

I'll file docc's tip about removing the starter for next time, that sounds like a good plan.

To the OP from experience, when you're whittling your wooden plug, don't use hardwood, I couldn't get it to seal well,,, the wood that worked was a piece of real cheap softwood, so the fibres swelled as it absorbed the solvent and sealed the hole.

After I did two good rinses working the clutch, I took the bike out and abused the hell out of the clutch (fanning it many times)to get it good and hot and burn off any residue.

Good luck

Kelly

• Like 1

That Redline heavy is tenacious stuff. It'll be hard to get rid of. I quit using it when I couldn't get it all to drain out of the rear drive and over filled it a bit when I "drained and measured.."

• Like 2