Oil light

cash1000

Took friday off work  to go so see family in Dunedin at weekend. Its a 800 k round trip. On friday it was warm and windy. On way back on sunday it was cool & wet.

Yesterday about 30 k's from home the oil light came on. Initialy it was quite bright but it then faded to a low glow.

I stopped and checked for any oil leaks & strange noises - none. I had checked oil level before I left and it was about 1/2 up dipstick. I had done an oil change about 2,000 ks before.

I then started motor and oil light didn't come on so I road home.

After motor had cooled a bit I rechecked oil level and it was about 1/2 way up dipstick.

Motor does not normally use oil. Its done 63,000k

i'm thinking (hoping) water had got into oil sensor on top of motor and caused light to come on.

What do you think?

I have zero confidence in the Guzzi presses switch. if you crack the fitting going to one of the heads it will soon let you know if there is oil pressure or not.

I suggest you add an oil pressure gauge, oil is normally ~ 60 psi

Update

I thought I had mentioned that the switch tracks across the dirty wet switch insulator, usually all it takes is a wipe with a rag or spray with CRC

For most of my working life I designed industrial instrumentation, you don't buy anything and expect it to work reliably unless it makes sense, a pressure switch that works by distorting a tiny bit of metal a microscopic amount to make a contact makes no sense at all. An industrial switch would have a decent size diaphragm working a snap action switch however switches in an industrial setting are a pain in the arse, we would usually specify a pressure transmitter that could be trended and do the switching in a computerized control system.

• Like 1

I've had my oil light coming on in the rain in 2006 on my way to the GMG in Mandello. It scared the sh*t out of me...
After a phone call to my mechanic at TLM I was reassured. Just water in the wrong place. After a smoke and half an hour break the oil light didn't come on anymore.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, gstallons said:

That is the only thing I've seen Tridon in the US .

I seem to recall they were Canadian blades. It seems to me that all that matters is the mounting thread diameter and pitch and the minimum pressure required to make/break contact.  I see that Rock Auto offers a lifetime warranty on their units. Question is, which one fits and functions?