Are the Passenger Footpeg Brackets Asymmetrical, or Does This Look Bent?

Kane

On my ‘01 V11 the brackets that hold the passenger footpegs and hang the mufflers have different bent angles from each other. You can see in the pic that the left side bracket has a flatter profile and bends in closer to the bike. Looking at this it seems like the bracket may have somehow been bent or pushed into the bike and distorted. Does this look normal, i.e., the brackets are shaped differently from each other, or does the left side look bent or off?

Thank you

3C92E4F7-4447-42A0-A688-AEEAACB97DB3.jpeg

3152B65B-2F3D-409E-848E-D29894EFDE72.jpeg

You can use fender washers on the bottom of the mounts to trim them so they're more symmetrical.

But, that RH top frame bracket looks bent too far outwards.

• Like 1

Eyeballing mine, something's bent.  The strange thing, the top photo it looks like the right side is bent outward whereas the bottom photo looks like the left side is bent inward.  I suppose it's the angle of the photo.  I think the right side bracket is bent so that muffler is pointed outward, so I think it's twisted as well as bent in.

• Like 1

+1 with Rolf, yeah, they are asymmetrical. Yet, as others have said, may a bit much in your case. worth loosening the entire exhaust from the heads, through the crossover's hangers, canister hangers, and attachments to the frame tabs and "grooming" the entire system, front to rear,  to relieve stress and obtain a more optimal symmetry.  Start at the heads and work in steps in a "star pattern."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Kane said:

On my ‘01 V11 the brackets that hold the passenger footpegs and hang the mufflers have different bent angles from each other. You can see in the pic that the left side bracket has a flatter profile and bends in closer to the bike. Looking at this it seems like the bracket may have somehow been bent or pushed into the bike and distorted. Does this look normal, i.e., the brackets are shaped differently from each other, or does the left side look bent or off?

Thank you

3C92E4F7-4447-42A0-A688-AEEAACB97DB3.jpeg

3152B65B-2F3D-409E-848E-D29894EFDE72.jpeg

If you notice, the wheel is not exactly centered in the swingarm. The drive unit on the right protrudes further than the brake does on the left. So, the pegs have to move outward to make clearance for swingarm travel. Somewhat like the Lord, the Italians write straight using crooked lines.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That D side footpeg/muffler hanger just looks weird to me. Looking at the Mighty Scura, it's very hard to tell the D side is angled to the right compared to the one in the above picture. Maybe a little, but that's a lottle. :huh2:

• Like 1

They are not perfect, but like Docc said, loosen everything, plenty paste on, have a beer, more adjusting. Looks pretty any side, to bad you can't see both sides at the same time.
Cheers tom. 6e95eb4f0a0ebf48da42fb18168250de.jpg

Sent fra min SM-G903F via Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks guys for your insights and recommendations. Someone else also told me the left side bracket was bent, and even the tabs on the seat frame section that the brackets bolt to look to have angles that are off from each other. This bike is fairly new to me, but I don’t see any signs of it being crashed. How easy is it for this stuff to get bent or tweaked? surely not from the bike just falling over? Or are these discrepancies that fall within the margin of error for ‘01 era bikes coming out of the factory? The exhaust system seems fine, the pipes and cans don’t appear to have dings, bad joints/connections, leaks. It’s bugging me a little to try to understand how this is.  

2 hours ago, docc said:

+1 with Rolf, yeah, they are asymmetrical. Yet, as others have said, may a bit much in your case. worth loosening the entire exhaust from the heads, through the crossover's hangers, canister hangers, and attachments to the frame tabs and "grooming" the entire system, front to rear,  to relieve stress and obtain a more optimal symmetry.  Start at the heads and work in steps in a "star pattern."

Thank you

49 minutes ago, Kane said:

Thanks guys for your insights and recommendations. Someone else also told me the left side bracket was bent, and even the tabs on the seat frame section that the brackets bolt to look to have angles that are off from each other. This bike is fairly new to me, but I don’t see any signs of it being crashed. How easy is it for this stuff to get bent or tweaked? surely not from the bike just falling over? Or are these discrepancies that fall within the margin of error for ‘01 era bikes coming out of the factory? The exhaust system seems fine, the pipes and cans don’t appear to have dings, bad joints/connections, leaks. It’s bugging me a little to try to understand how this is.  

Welcome to Guzzi! It's a matter of understanding the Latin mindset. To paraphrase the old joke about the Italian driver pulling the rear view mirror off his car and tossing it in the back set: "What'sa behind me, I no care about"

Of note here is that the brackets on the Staintune cans on my Ballabio are at different angels.

Note the swingarm on this custom. The pic clearly shows that the wheel is centered but the drive requires that the right side of the swingarm and all around it has to be kicked out for clearance.

Screen%20Shot%202019-11-19%20at%202.29.5

• Like 1

Bent or not I could never live with it the way it looks from the rear.. it's cockeyed.. I'd try bending or making a new bracket to bring the right side in to match as close as possible.

but. NOw that I look my Lemans was that way too even with Mistral mufflers.

IMG_2266-L.jpg

• Like 1

Ok, I’m not quite feeling a whole better about this, but at least I don’t feel so alone! Perhaps the offset brackets are to counter the torque surge coming off the shaft drive!

I leave the seat cowl on and have no one to ride on the back anyway. My concern was how on earth my overall clean bike got such an impact as to tweak the bracket so much and what to do about it.