Fresh Spark Plug wires needed - 2002 Scura

PJPR01

Has anyone found a good source (link?) for high quality spark plug wires that will work on the 2002 Scura?

The MG sites I've looked at do not specify anything for the Scura, only earlier models.  The "generic" build them yourself seem to leave doubt about the resistance in the cap...bit of a guessing game.

Nothing reliable on Ebay either other than used stuff, would prefer new.

Thanks in advance!  

Try a pair of these: NGK CR6 individual wires. About $18/per. 5K  resistance cap. Other specs are on the eBay listing. https://www.ebay.com/itm/NGK-Racing-Wire-90deg-Solid-Resistor-Cover-100cm-90-100cm-8736-N-CR6/333270758936?epid=171310303&hash=item4d987c3618:g:kyQAAOSwv7BdMMC8

IMG_2940.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Yep, they are good.

The white writing can be wiped off with isopropyl alcohol if you think it looks pretentious (although the words "racing cable" does add 2hp :lol:). 

The sleeve can be slid along the cable to protect against chaffing on the frame and cylinder heads.

• Like 1

It almost seems like Guzzi designed the entire bike and then thought, "Oh crap! We forgot the coils! Well, the only space left is up front, so we'll just use 1 meter cables." Scenario:

Officer: "I was going to let you off with a warning, but I see you're using RACING plug wires!"

Racing Red no less!   2 hp increase...sign me up!  

You're right...these cables are long, and my current ones don't have anything to protect them from the cylinder heads....so a good option here.

After this great option above, I also got a lead from Curtis at Harper's...recommending the following wires as well, when I read the description at first I didn't think they'd work, so will have a backup set.

http://www.harpermoto.com/twin-coil-spark-plug-wire-set-t-and-newer.html

1 hour ago, PJPR01 said:

Racing Red no less!   2 hp increase...sign me up!  

You're right...these cables are long, and my current ones don't have anything to protect them from the cylinder heads....so a good option here.

After this great option above, I also got a lead from Curtis at Harper's...recommending the following wires as well, when I read the description at first I didn't think they'd work, so will have a backup set.

http://www.harpermoto.com/twin-coil-spark-plug-wire-set-t-and-newer.html

Might be mistaken, but the Guzzi OEM red wires are NGK. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.

My current ones are red, not sure how to tell if they are OEM since I'm not the original owner.  Either way, one of them needs replacing, so a new pair will be going on as soon as these replacement ones arrive.  

Thanks all!

• 1 month later...

Well...I got both sets of wires as suggested above and the Harper's set, but the plug ends I tried to use for the red NGK's were the wrong ones, so I decided to use the set I received from Harpers.  Basically you cut the wire in half, thread on the end caps and voila, you have a pair of plug wires in 2 minutes flat.

They made an amazing difference, bike runs noticeably smoother...I'm guessing that my old plug wires may have been either originals or quite old, but happy to have a new set on...black, rather than red, but functioning perfectly!

Still hunting for where I can find the right size metal end caps (the part that fits into the distributor end) for the NGK's so I can keep those as a backup...

Well...the red NGK's didn't come with the metal end that gets inserted into the coil, so I had to buy some after market ones by guessing looking at my originals.  Unfortunately the ones I bought were the wrong size and I could not get them to insert...in the meantime, the set from Harpers had arrived and they came already prepped with the coil end on the wires, and all I had to do was attach the plug end.

1 hour ago, PJPR01 said:

Still hunting for where I can find the right size metal end caps (the part that fits into the distributor end) for the NGK's so I can keep those as a backup...

I have some end caps you can have for nix. They are made for 6mm cable, so you would need to trim 8mm cable a little. PM me your address.

Ign Cable Ends.jpg

• Like 1