suspension up dates V11LeMans?2004

kiwidave

I sourced front fork springs from Traxxion Dynamics, Georgia, USA and they were spot on. More recently, there has been some investigation into Andreani cartridges for our Marzocchi forks.

Several sources for rear shocks. No matter what, and how many iterations it takes to get her "tuned" to your liking, you will be so glad you did!

A bit - OK a big bit - of a stretch, but for the mechanically minded with cash to spare, an '04 Cafe Sport in San Fran for $3500obo with full Ôhlins. Does not look bad, and with 24k (if true), still a relatively  fresh bike. Would love to buy it, swap suspension and sell it with my Marzocchi/Sachs bits on it. 

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/d/san-francisco-2004-moto-guzzi-v11-cafe/7013378638.html

13 hours ago, kiwidave said:

I need some help here . I can do the work no problem just which brands do I use/

Andreani cartridges and Wilbers shock, should cost around $1200US depending on the spec of shock you chose.

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I put HyperPro on rear of my Sport and substituted Aprilia Mille shocks for the front end - handles like a dream.  There a little wiggle on hard acceleration from the rear but I like it.

• Thanks 1

I got my rear shock rebuilt and resprung.  My goal was to do away with "weave" when hauling HB bags at approx 80mph around semis.  When I tried to adjust the shock, the clicker wasn't working.  So I got it rebuilt, with a stiffer spring, clicker working.  I discovered that that the bigger issue for me was the front set too stiff and had little compliance and would "bounce".  So after the softening the front, this made the changes I was looking for.

If I wanted the forks to be revalved and the spring changed out, I'd call Race Tech and get a Gold Valve Kit.  Personally, I think the front is stiff enough. 

I suppose I am one of the few here that have some of the worst issues but still am satisfied with the OEM parts after a repair and learning to adjust it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Like KiwiDave I live in Langley BC and am going through the suspension on my 2004 Ballabio. It is a weather related problem as it has started pouring and is about 4 degrees.  No real problems identified with the handling  but forks and shock not touched since new, 15 years and 30K km ago.  So I am just about to pull the forks and replace the oil, which seems relatively straight forward as per 

However, I cannot find anything about the rear shock specs or service/oil change. Nor can I find anything about adjustment. Everything on the rear shock is set mid run right now. That includes the spring, Rebound and Damping. So what I would like to do is service or get it serviced and then sort out the setup for a single 200lb rider including clothing. 

any and all suggestions gratefully received and if KiwiDave could contact me offline we could compare notes and sources for parts etc. 
 Thanks. 

• Thanks 1

From my maintenance records..

Rear suspension  Rebound 24 clicks from full soft, compression 12 clicks from full soft.

We're "about" the same weight. This was on the Mighty Scura.

My :2c:

see if there is anyone near you who can set up your suspension. I have been trying to figure this out for years & finding 'Jake' just up the road from me has been an enjoyable education. 

He doesn't charge much & has an experianced eye, so that when he pushes down on the forks or the shock he can tell what needs to be done.

If you don't have much luck with finding a guru, you can always look up Dave Moss Tuning on Youtube & watch his videos over winter

:thumbsup:

As several have posted here, setting up the sag on the bike is an important first step that can tell you alot about what's to be done.

Good luck. Keep asking questions.

• Like 1

The key is to work methodically.  Get the sag (preload) right first.  Then work the adjusters on test rides.  

Set the sag. Much easier with two people.  When the rider sits on the bike the suspension should sag about 1/3 of travel, something like 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 in.   One way to do it by yourself is to put a zip tie around the front fork and adjust the preload for a third of the travel.  Then you'll have to level the rear but it should be in the  preload should have close to the number of turns as the front.

Once the sag is set, then play with the adjusters which can be determined by riding the bike.   I would start with full soft (some start in the middle) and adjust the rebound and compression a couple clicks but on separate rides to "feel" how each adjustment changes the handling.  After that, work both adjusters in tandem until comfortable.

• Like 2