drive shaft install

malengi

I am in the process of changing out my gearbox ( large loss of teeth on previous one) and I just realised that I had paid no attention to seperating the drive shaft from the rear of the box.

My question is this does the driveshaft only go over the first spline (which is easy but illogical) or does it go over both splines which seems to necessitate a large hammer. (not that I have anything against the use of a large hammer) My memory is not what it used to be and the damaged splines close to the body on the replacement gearbox lead me to believe it is one spline only but I am happy to be proved wrong.

Cheers

This is EXTREMELY important . What damaged spline{s) are you talking about ? I don't Know how to tell you ( I know but can't explain ) to index this coupling but it is critical , you can't be close . If it is incorrect the system will shake and go crazy . If it is out of index bad enough , it will damage the drivetrain .

If you are talking about where the driveshaft fits onto the transmission output shaft, it should fit over both splines. The gap in the splines is there to allow the pinch bolts to function properly. The pinch bolts must be removed to get the driveshaft into place.
I hope this makes sense...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, malengi said:

I am in the process of changing out my gearbox ( large loss of teeth on previous one) and I just realised that I had paid no attention to seperating the drive shaft from the rear of the box.

My question is this does the driveshaft only go over the first spline (which is easy but illogical) or does it go over both splines which seems to necessitate a large hammer. (not that I have anything against the use of a large hammer) My memory is not what it used to be and the damaged splines close to the body on the replacement gearbox lead me to believe it is one spline only but I am happy to be proved wrong.

Cheers

Like Guzzi 323 says, and it has to be torqued so the driveshaft doesn't move on the splines. The driveshaft is marked with 2 dots, make sure they line up.    Was a loose shaft the reason for damaged splines ?   I would have thought the axle splines were stronger than the driveshaft.

Cheers tom.

Thanks for the replies. The damaged spline is from a used gearbox I just bought so I do not know the reason for the damage. Looks like i may have to swap it for my old shaft with good splines. The dots I am clear on but thanks for saying it needs to go over both parts of the spline . Anyone know the torque setting off hand? Guzzi 323 you make perfect sense

Cheers

True advice already posted. Regarding the pinch bolts and torque, reference my driveshaft failure experience. It is critical the threads of the shaft's yokes (or "collars") are all in perfect condition. I suggest new fasteners (pinch bolts), make sure they each thread in by hand to avoid any cross-threading which is destructive, use a thread locking compound, torque in steps and back and forth repeatedly between the two pinch bolts until both are secure. Applying a compression to the split yokes may be required to allow the fastener to line up truly with the threaded hole on the opposite side. After my failure, I took the risk of slightly increasing the torque. I cannot say this is best, just what I did over the worry of another failure.  Apply "witness marks" and  monitor for loosening for 400-500 miles/ 650-800 km.