What If You Had Another V11?

Kane

I only have my one V11, but I have been craving a second bike to compliment it. My first inclination was to go with a Tonti or loop frame for some diversity from the spine frame sport bike, but lately I’ve been pondering what having a second V11 could bring. So that the two bikes would not be redundant, and while keeping the primary V11 on the road as a daily rider, one could take the secondary V11 and do what ever with it.

So, while enjoying your primary V11 as you already do, what would you do with a second one (or third, as the case may be)? And if you’re already there?

Hmm where to start..... the Spineys alone are all such unique machines to ride.

So even if you compiled a small collection of certain models it would be like owning and riding a completely different machine each time IMHO.

Enjoy        Ciao             PS. I've got to get out more LOL

1 hour ago, Kane said:

I only have my one V11, but I have been craving a second bike to compliment it. My first inclination was to go with a Tonti or loop frame for some diversity from the spine frame sport bike, but lately I’ve been pondering what having a second V11 could bring. So that the two bikes would not be redundant, and while keeping the primary V11 on the road as a daily rider, one could take the secondary V11 and do what ever with it.

So, while enjoying your primary V11 as you already do, what would you do with a second one (or third, as the case may be)? And if you’re already there?

I owned 2 '02 LeMans for awhile. One was acquired through a trade. This proved a very handy set up for maintenance/ride scheduling. But, two of the same thing didn't provide the excitement I look for when alternating bikes. I had thought of using the "one in less favor" for customization, but the longer I pondered, the more I realized what beauties they are, (almost) right from the factory. So I sold it. Last year I acquired an early red frame, again through a trade. Now,.....here I have two clearly distinguishable personalities to suit my quirks. The handling differences make for a fun and interesting switch-up. The early frame noticeably out performs the the later in tight corners, while the fully faired, long frame gives me the locomotive, 'wind-her-out' responses in the long sweepers that I've come to know and love, as the essence of my Guzzi experience. The looks are quite different, and exhaust mods provide unique music.

Both are fun to make changes to, and upgrades, though I won't be severely altering one of these. I have other bikes for that. The only other spine I would consider adding is the earli-er 1100 Sport, I. Other Guzzi?? Easy - Griso. Maybe 70's Eldo.

• Like 1

I have 2 Guzzi's; a late model V11 Sport & a 2013 Griso. 

Both have similar enough mechanicals that I can understand the servicing & maintenance for each but have different riding characteristics that I find myself saying 'What a great bike ! I need to ride it more !' Whenever I get off either of them :D

• Like 1

As of last friday, I have two V11's.

First is fairly customised and single seat. My new V11 is a 2004 Cafe Sport. Only one in 5 were bought into Australia i'm told and this one is in excellent condition. Its got carbon fibre bits all over, titanium mufflers and ohlins suspension. 2 seat, comfortable ride position and will get some loving in the twisties.

My other bike is a 1200 Griso SE. Its a beast and its reasonably stock with a few bling bits. 

Now... I've had a older guzzi which was also done up as a cafe racer (was a mille gt) and it was a beautiful bike to ride  though I wouldnt be touring on it.

So, I on had a V11, would I get another ? 

The V11 is in my view the  first modern feel guzzi, great gearbox, reliable, comfortable, and beautiful, The griso is next step up in the modern stakes, slightly better gearbox, stronger motor, different style different ergonomics. The Cafe sport came at the perfect time and perfect $$, its too good to go past, but if I didnt have my V11 custom and just had the Griso, I would want the V11 cafe or any variant. But my thought is that my V11 custom is too different from the Cafe sport that it was ok to get.

So if it were me recommending something, I would say if you are going to change or customise the second V11 then I say go for it, but if youre going to have two similar V11 then I'd say, get a Griso or try one at least 

I've struggled with this one.  I've been tempted to add a red frame next to my LeMans.  But decided to have 3 very different bikes and added a Carc and a Tonti instead.

Mike

driveway7%201024.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, milar said:

I've struggled with this one.  I've been tempted to add a red frame next to my LeMans.  But decided to have 3 very different bikes and added a Carc and a Tonti instead.

Mike

driveway7%201024.jpg

Oh! When I saw that image of those sweet Guzzi, I thought, "Wow, milar has some cool buddies. Look at what they ride!"

Now that we that is your stable, I am jealous!  :grin:    Nice selection!

I spy my old red LeMans.  I hope she is treating you well.  She was a lovely companion to my Scura for a while (after she got sorted).

Then the red-framed Greenie came along and I had three functioning V11. The large fairing on the Lemans is very good for distance, the naked (or bikini-faired) red-frame bike was also good for distance, but was a bit more fun in the twisties. I ended up keeping only the Scura, which was my first V11 - and which I had from new. The other two were both projects after prior owners' neglect. The Scura fit between the two, but it has the light, single-plate clutch, which I like. 

I enjoyed having multiple V11s, but I enjoy more having bikes that are very different and I like being able to get onto rough pavement and dirt without worrying about a nice street bike - so the Stelvio and Husqvarna fit the bill for me.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Scud said:

I spy my old red LeMans.  I hope she is treating you well.  She was a lovely companion to my Scura for a while (after she got sorted).

Then the red-framed Greenie came along and I had three functioning V11. The large fairing on the Lemans is very good for distance, the naked (or bikini-faired) red-frame bike was also good for distance, but was a bit more fun in the twisties. I ended up keeping only the Scura, which was my first V11 - and which I had from new. The other two were both projects after prior owners' neglect. The Scura fit between the two, but it has the light, single-plate clutch, which I like. 

I enjoyed having multiple V11s, but I enjoy more having bikes that are very different and I like being able to get onto rough pavement and dirt without worrying about a nice street bike - so the Stelvio and Husqvarna fit the bill for me.

Good eye Tim.  Your old LeMans is alive and well.  It serves as my GT bike. There is nothing in Moto Guzzi's current line that is comparable.

I had a Scura/1200 Sport shootout in my garage to see which would be my "naked" bike.  As you can see the Sport nudged out the Scura.  No knock on the Scura.  The refinement of the Sport trumped the sportiness of the Scura for me.

The LeMans 3 is eye candy.  Mostly it goes to breakfast.  

Mike

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Kane said:

Your LMIII is a beauty!

Thank you!  The surprise to me was how small it is.  It's not that much different is engine size than the V11 LeMans.  But it feels diminutive compared to either of the other bikes.  If you look at the pic, it could hide behind the V11 LeMans or Sport 1100.  Someday I want to sit on my 1200 Sport and a Tonti naked.  Perhaps a Mille and see how they compare.

Mike

Now, this whole business of sitting on bikes naked can be very revealing In more ways than one! :o

Oh! Wait! Sit on a "Tonti naked" or sit on a "naked Tonti?' 

(the moderator is gonna hunt me down for this, I know . . .) :huh:

• Haha 1

Between the wife and I we have four Guzzi's, but they are all different. The first was the wife's red frame V11. Then I bought the first Griso in Maryland. Next I bought a '93 Daytona from one of my best friends. It was the first Guzzi I ever rode, having went with him to buy it. I told him right then and there if he ever decides to sell it I want to buy it. Finally, we bought an '87 Lario small block.

All four are different, and all are enjoyable in their own ways. I don't think it is silly to have more than one of the (basically) same bike. But I don't have the money, time, and garage space for that. The only way it makes sense for me is when they are so different. If I had more money, time, and garage space, I would not mind. But I don't.